ESPN ranks Willis McGahee, 21st among active Rbs

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just the starters they ranked I believe...and if you're going on the whole RB corps that sounds right. Behind Willis we have nobody that could be considered a legitimate starter.

714408[/snapback]

Yep, and they also factored in our qb situation, saying that we're going to have 9 guys in the box on running downs, which lowered our ranking.

He should be in the top 15, not 21st. :blush:

Link not up yet it seems on espn's sportsnation.  Either way check sportcenter RIGHT NOW!

714393[/snapback]

I'd say that's about the right rank given his performance last year and the Bill's questionable offensive line.

If they are ranking RB's, willis is a top 10 back.

If they are ranking team's RUNNING GAMES, given the situation of our offense, 21st sounds about right.

714461[/snapback]

exactly.....they were clearly citing other factors in addition to how strong Willis is as a back.

If they are ranking RB's, willis is a top 10 back.

If they are ranking team's RUNNING GAMES, given the situation of our offense, 21st sounds about right.

714461[/snapback]

True, but how much would you bet they'd rank us in the bottom half of the league in EVERY category? Maybe if they rank ST, we'll have a chance. Despite our low rank in EVERY category, they'll still say our biggest mistake was firing TD. :lol::blush:

willis didnt show the effort last year that he did the year prior...until he starts to hit the hole again..he deserves that ranking

714553[/snapback]

Ny last year do you mean the second half of last year? I know the attention span of our society is shortening but I don't think we have yet found a way to consider half a season a full season yet.

There is some logic to considering the second half of the season more predictive than the whole season, but if so then is his 5.1 y/c avg. and 100+ yd day rushing in the last game what we should consider most predictive.

Perhaps folks want to analyze this and discount it as against the Jets but if we are going to get into parsing, then general comments should bring into consideration broader issues like the OL, the failure of the OC and other issues that folks who may simply dislike WM's personality should take into account when making broad statements.

hs ranking needs to take into account that the reality simply is that he is the fastest Bill ever to 2000 yds rushing in hos two seasons of active play. This does not mean at all he is a better RB than OJ or Thirman, but certainly i think merits him some benefit of the doubt until we see his production on the field.

True,  but how much would you bet they'd rank us in the bottom half of the league in EVERY category?  Maybe if they rank ST, we'll have a chance.  Despite our low rank in EVERY category, they'll still say our biggest mistake was firing TD.  :doh:  :)

714554[/snapback]

They say that only because Marv's the GM.

If we had kept TD, he would have drafted Hava Nagila at 8 instead of Whitner and ESPN would have ranked our running game in the top 10 - 15. :doh: Of course TD would have ignored the OLine just as he did all 5 years of his reign, but ESPN would figure that the "better value" selection of a DLineman at #8 would have to have the efffect of improving our running game, probably the passing game too. :wacko: It's a Brewski kind of thing. :lol:

Actually, they ranked the Bills rushing attack 21st in the league, not McGahee 21st amongst RB's. That ranking has to do with the OL in front of the guy, the FB clearing a path, and the guy who's second string as well.

Yep, and they also factored in our qb situation, saying that we're going to have 9 guys in the box on running downs, which lowered our ranking.

714409[/snapback]

It is going to be real tough for teams to get away with that this year with all the speed we have at WR. If that is the case, I sure hope JP is given the go-ahead to audible into a shotgun formation this year.

If the o-line can play for a full 60 mins, for once. :lol:

714546[/snapback]

All "if's" and "wills". Not sold on Willis and have seen very little to make me think this guy is anything but average. Line or no line he deserves nothing more than a middle of the pack type ranking at this point if your ranking the backs themselves.