Which current HC will make it to the HoF

ganesh

Just changing the tone a little bit, enough of which player deserves the Hall, let us look at which current set of 32 HC have a chance to be part of the HoF...

Top of the list has to include the three Bills: Parcells, Bellichek and Cowher.

All three have the credentials to be considered a slam dunk for the Hall.

The next set includes Mike Shanhan, Mike Holmgren. Both won superbowls with

star QBs. The difference between the Mikes and Cowher is that Cowher had his

team competing for the playoffs year-in-year out. That is not the same with

the Mikes. Dennis Green should be in this list. Even though he did not make it

to the superbowl he had his Vikings ready for every season. May be he will

also turn around the Arizona program.

Others who have a chance are : Jon Gruden, Nick Saban.

I am not sure if Dick Vermeil is already in the hall. If not he will be a definite

candidate like the Bills.

Your comments.

I don't know about Cowher... maybe last year makes up for all those devastating choke performances in the AFC championship games at home. Without the ring, he's quite comparable to Marty.

714265[/snapback]

Aah....That reminded of another coach.....I think he has a good shot too..

My bad on Saban...I should not have included him...There are more deserving

coaches like Jeff Fisher, Marty who have done much more than him.....

Ganesh, overall... good post and good topic... but please I do not understand what you are thinking with the mention of Nick Saban. 1 year of coaching and a 9-7 record? I'm stuck on this and cannot even think about the rest of your post until you resolve this.

Just changing the tone a little bit, enough of which player deserves the Hall, let us look at which current set of 32 HC have a chance to be part of the HoF...

Top of the list has to include the three Bills:  Parcells, Bellichek and Cowher.

star QBs.  The difference between the Mikes and Cowher is that Cowher had his

to the superbowl he had his Vikings ready for every season.  May be he will

I am not sure if Dick Vermeil is already in the hall. If not he will be a definite

Your comments.

714231[/snapback]

I'd put Holgrem (3 SB as HC and 3 others as a S.F. assistant so he has quite the resume) ahead of Cowher. Shanahan is a slam dunk IMO.

Top of the list has to include the three Bills:  Parcells, Bellichek and Cowher.

star QBs.  The difference between the Mikes and Cowher is that Cowher had his

to the superbowl he had his Vikings ready for every season.  May be he will

Your comments.

714231[/snapback]

It seems to me to be waaaaay too easy to get into the HOF as a HC.

From past entries you would have to say the 3 Bills get in.....also the 2 Mikes.....& also Dick Vermeil. Plus Gibbs is 7 out of 32 (about 1 in 4.5). If those sort of numbers are extrapolated to players, it would mean each & every team would have over 5 future HOFers out of their 24 starters(kickers included).

That would be over 170 future HOFers league wide.

I really think coaches get a little over-rated. Based on this I would have only the Bills make it(with Cowher in only due to longevity consistency).

Based on this I would have only the Bills make it(with Cowher in only due to longevity consistency).

714571[/snapback]

I would Cowher ahead of the Mikes, just for the consistency he has displayed with a single team.....He has taken the team to multiple AFC Championship games with

different QBs...and every season they compete for the Playoffs..

Cowher, Shanny, and Holmgren all seem like locks to me. With their track record and all having rings, I don't see what the argument really could be to keep them out. If John Fox could finally get the Panthers to play up to their potential through a whole season, get a ring, and we could be talking about him down the line too. He's done a pretty solid job with that team. Other than him, Andy Reid has been a pretty solid coach in Philly. I do believe he needs a change of scenery though or they need to wipe the entire slate clean and start over, including the "axing" of Donovan McNabb.

Andy Reid has been a pretty solid coach in Philly. I do believe he needs a change of scenery though or they need to wipe the entire slate clean and start over, including the "axing" of Donovan McNabb.

714618[/snapback]

I agree with this entire post. While I think that McNabb is a first rate qb, there just seems to have been too much drama and a change of scerery might help.

The NFC East is probably the best coached division I have ever seen in terms of head coaches.

I agree with this entire post. While I think that McNabb is a first rate qb, there just seems to have been too much drama and a change of scerery might help.

The NFC East is probably the best coached division I have ever seen in terms of head coaches.

714619[/snapback]

Will you trade for McNabb to be our starting QB.......I would..

Dennis Green should be in this list.

714231[/snapback]

WTF (part 2)?

Unless Green has a few miracle seasons with the Cards there's very little chance the guy makes the hall. Coaches that haven't even coached in a SB (in the SB era) generally aren't in the Hall.

EDIT: Of the 13 coaches in the Hall that have coached predominately from 1960-present there are only two that didn't win a championship of some sort (AFL, NFL or SB): George Allen and Marv Levy. Both coached in the SB and had other credentials that ultimately got them in.

The fact that there are only 13 coaches from this 46 year period leads me to believe that a coach has to do something special to be elected (unlike say, a QB). Probably only Belichick and Tuna are automatics though Cowher would likely get a nod as well. I’m not sure anyone else mentioned, at least at this point in their careers, would qualify. Shanahan has two SB titles but he’s quite a few lackluster years since Elway retired.

Most of the guys mentioned would make the Hall of Very good, but not many of them are HOF type coaches. Cowher could be one because of how his team is always contending for the playoffs every year and his longevity as coach of the steelers, Parcells will be a HOF, Billicheck will also be one. Gruden may be able to squeak in during a weak year for coaching candidates but he isn't a lock same with Shanahan and maybe Holmgren but they are more likely to be in the Hall of Really good coaches

I still don't think Gruden has proven much at all. He did alright with the Raiders, but look at the team he inherited in Tampa. Anyone could've won with that team except Tony Dungy. Dick Jauron probably could've taken them to a Super Bowl and won. Since then, Gruden hasn't done much at all. Bellichek is a DEEFINITE HOF'r. Dungy is another coach that has had good regular season teams, but doesn't seem to be enough of a motivator when it comes to the Post-Season. Good person it seems, but HOF Coach? I doubt it.