National Championship Predictions:

Buffan00

As much as i'd like to say my LSU Tigers this season, I think our road schedule will be too brutal to stay in the hunt for more than just a new years bowl game and possible SEC Championship. Watch out in 2007 though.

702252[/snapback]

That's going to be the case every year. The toughest division in college football is only getting tougher.

You're kidding right?  They can't beat the Buckeyes!  And they travel into the SHOE this year.  Good luck!  :)

702250[/snapback]

Ha..we'll see! When its those two teams playin, it dosent matter where you play that game! You should know that being a OSU fan! We have a new OC and with Breston/Hart and a 3rd year for Henne to learn..this team will light up the scoreboard!!! <_<

Watch out for these guys..They will have a super "O" this year and Mike Hart will be a Heisman contender. GO BLUE!!!!  You heard it  here first! :doh:

702247[/snapback]

You think Michigan is going go into South Bend and Columbus and come out any better than 0-2? And Hart has a line of Heisman candidates (headed by Quinn) to get through if he wants it.

I think my boys have a good a shot as anyone. But there are plenty of hurdles in our way. Going into East Lansing and LA against two very good teams is going to test what kind of team we are.

But it is going to be a serious dogfight at the top this year. So many good teams. I wouldn't bet against a re-match of last years Fiesta Bowl for the NATL Title though. :lol:

You think Michigan is going go into South Bend and Columbus and come out any better than 0-2?  And Hart has a line of Heisman candidates (headed by Quinn) to get through if he wants it.

I think my boys have a good a shot as anyone.  But there are plenty of hurdles in our way.  Going into East Lansing and LA against two very good teams is going to test what kind of team we are.

But it is going to be a serious dogfight at the top this year.  So many good teams.  I wouldn't bet against a re-match of last years Fiesta Bowl for the NATL Title though. :)

702677[/snapback]

Michigan also has to go into Happy Valley AT NIGHT - ask all the tOSU fans here how fun that is?

Also, though - Michigan wins all 3 - I think they'll have a nice strong resume..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_H2o_*

Notre Dame is the truth this year. That's the "O" that eveery opponent is going to have to worry about. They got Quinn (The 2006 Heisman Trophy Winner), Darius Walker, and Rhema McKnight coming back from a medical red-shirt playing opposite of Samradzija. Remember that Michigan comes to our house this year. Their toughest games will be Penn State, USC at USC, and against the arm of Drew Stanton at Michigan State. I don't think Henne holds up well enough under pressure to lead them to the promised land. Even with all of those weapons at WR, he finds a way to choke on the biggest of stages. Mike Hart just couldn't seem to stay healthy last year. You better hope that wasn't the beginning of a trend. Their DL will have some new plug-ins as well. With Ohio St. and Penn St. along with them in the Big Ten, as well as Michigan St. and Wiconsin, they won't make it undefeated. Heck, they'll probably have a couple of losses in the Big Ten along with the big L they'll receive from ND. Ha-Ha. ND vs. Oklahoma/Florida/Ohio St./ or Miami in the BCS National Championship this year.

Notre Dame is the truth this year. That's the "O" that eveery opponent is going to have to worry about. They got Quinn (The 2006 Heisman Trophy Winner), Darius Walker, and Rhema McKnight coming back from a medical red-shirt playing opposite of Samradzija. Remember that Michigan comes to our house this year. Their toughest games will be Penn State, USC at USC, and against the arm of Drew Stanton at Michigan State. I don't think Henne holds up well enough under pressure to lead them to the promised land. Even with all of those weapons at WR, he finds a way to choke on the biggest of stages. Mike Hart just couldn't seem to stay healthy last year. You better hope that wasn't the beginning of a trend. Their DL will have some new plug-ins as well. With Ohio St. and Penn St. along with them in the Big Ten, as well as Michigan St. and Wiconsin, they won't make it undefeated. Heck, they'll probably have a couple of losses in the Big Ten along with the big L they'll receive from ND. Ha-Ha. ND vs. Oklahoma/Florida/Ohio St./ or Miami in the BCS National Championship this year.

709291[/snapback]

They don't have the speed (especially in the defensive backfield) to match up against the top programs..yet.

Like who? They got a couple of freshmen that are coming in this year with 4.4 or better speed. The biggest problem I REALLY see for them is Penn St. and that game is early in the season too. Who do they really play that has that much speed to make them worry? Michigan probably has the fastest group of WR', but we've already talked about Henne and it wouldn't surprise me if Hart was already injured by the ND game. He just seems that prone to it, injury that is.

Notre Dame will certainly be in the discussion. They have to get through their first four games, and then they are smooth sailing until the final game. The first four are at Georgia Tech, home vs. Penn State and Michigan, and at Michigan State. Then its three in a row at home vs. Purdue, Stanford, and UCLA, at Navy, vs. UNC, at Air Force, and vs. Army. They finish up at USC. I can't imagine another national title contender lining up against the trifecta of Army, Navy, and Air Force in the same season.

All that schedule talk is tongue-in-cheek, as my alma mater USC is not exactly lining up the world beaters. The non-conference games are Arkansas, Nebraska, and Notre Dame. The rest of the schedule is the less-than-imposing PAC-10. I can't see USC as a 'true' contender for the national title, but they will more than likely have the best talent in the conference, and should get a BCS bid. If they can beat Nebraska (in LA) and win their rivalry games against ND and UCLA, it is reasonable to think that they could be undefeated. While young QB Booty replacing Leinart will receive the most attention, things worked out pretty well when they were clueless as to who would replace Carson Palmer. The major loss is in the backfield, as I knew Bush was gone, but I thought LenDale White should've returned. Their already-weak secondary losing underclassman Darnell Bing to the NFL won't help either.

The Big-12 could have an undefeated team, and like usual, it will probably be the winner of Texas-Oklahoma. Right now, Texas has many more question marks, and a tougher schedule (their biggest non-conf game is Ohio State, while OU has to win at Oregon.) Texas could be in the 'off-year' mode (~9-3) that OU (8-4) was in last year. I think we will see what Adrian Peterson is made of this year.

In the SEC, I would have to lean towards Florida and LSU, but it's so hard to predict one of those teams to win a title. It's similar to the Big-10 in that you are playing 3-4 road games per year that are brutal. For Florida to go undefeated, they have to beat Tennessee, Auburn, and FSU on the road, plus beat Georgia in the Cocktail Party, and win the SEC title game. Yikes.

The team I think has a VERY good chance of going undefeated is West Virginia. They are a little under the radar on a national scale, but the Big East knows who they are. A huge win in a BCS bowl game last year- beating Georgia in Atlanta in the Sugar Bowl- could propel this team to a huge 2006.

It is tough to pick the national champ this year, because of the extra 5th BCS game. Who knows who could advance there. As for the eight BCS bowl teams, I will pick Notre Dame, USC, Boise State, West Virginia, Miami, Michigan, Oklahoma and LSU.

In the SEC, I would have to lean towards Florida and LSU, but it's so hard to predict one of those teams to win a title.  It's similar to the Big-10 in that you are playing 3-4 road games per year that are brutal.  For Florida to go undefeated, they have to beat Tennessee, Auburn, and FSU on the road, plus beat Georgia in the Cocktail Party, and win the SEC title game.  Yikes.[/b]

714074[/snapback]

Welcome to my world. I have pretty much given up hope of seeing an SEC team winning the championship. Every time I get excited about the players or coaches FL has landed, I look around the conference and it brings me back down to earth. Seeing FL win the SEC Title will be my Rose Bowl. I think they have a good chance this year, but next year (with a system QB) will be their year to shine.

Guest Guest

I did forget completely about WVU. They play in the weak Big East that still get an automatic BCS bid for some unknown reason so they will definitely be factored in. The only teams that they have to really contend with is Pitt and Louisville, both being road games. The rest of their conference is a cake-walk. This is their schedule for crying out loud:

Date Opponent Location Time

Saturday, Sept. 2 Marshall Morgantown, WV TBA

Saturday, Sept. 9 Buffalo Morgantown, WV TBA

Thursday, Sept. 14 Maryland Morgantown, WV 7:30 PM

Saturday, Sept. 23 at East Carolina Greenville, NC TBA

Saturday, Oct. 7 at Mississippi State Starkville, MS TBA

Saturday, Oct. 14 Syracuse Morgantown, WV TBA

Friday, Oct. 20 at Connecticut East Hartford, CT 8:00 PM

Thursday, Nov. 2 at Louisville Louisville, KY 7:30 PM

Saturday, Nov. 11 Cincinnati Morgantown, WV TBA

Thursday, Nov. 16 at Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA TBA

Saturday, Nov. 25 South Florida Morgantown, WV TBA

Saturday, Dec. 2 Rutgers Morgantown, WV TBA

They probably have the EASIEST path to an undefeated Regular season that I've seen in a long time. No schedule like the rest of the powers in college football that's for sure.

I did forget completely about WVU. They play in the weak Big East that still get an automatic BCS bid for some unknown reason so they will definitely be factored in. The only teams that they have to really contend with is Pitt and Louisville, both being road games. The rest of their conference is a cake-walk. This is their schedule for crying out loud:

Date Opponent Location Time

Saturday, Sept. 2 Marshall Morgantown, WV TBA

Saturday, Sept. 9 Buffalo Morgantown, WV TBA

Thursday, Sept. 14 Maryland Morgantown, WV 7:30 PM

Saturday, Sept. 23 at East Carolina Greenville, NC TBA

Saturday, Oct. 7 at Mississippi State Starkville, MS TBA

Saturday, Oct. 14 Syracuse Morgantown, WV TBA

Friday, Oct. 20 at Connecticut East Hartford, CT 8:00 PM

Thursday, Nov. 2 at Louisville Louisville, KY 7:30 PM

Saturday, Nov. 11 Cincinnati Morgantown, WV TBA

Thursday, Nov. 16 at Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA TBA

Saturday, Nov. 25 South Florida Morgantown, WV TBA

Saturday, Dec. 2 Rutgers Morgantown, WV TBA

They probably have the EASIEST path to an undefeated Regular season that I've seen in a long time. No schedule like the rest of the powers in college football that's for sure.

715403[/snapback]

No Big East team wille ver compete for a national title anymore. Too weak a SOS.

No Big East team wille ver compete for a national title anymore. Too weak a SOS.

716025[/snapback]

If they go undefeated, they will...I agree that they will be on much shakier ground than a real conference team, but it is a definite possibility.

That being said, I think WVU loses to UL or has some early season upset. I think they hit a peak at the end of last season and it will be very tough to maintain that momentum through the summer.

I could probably do a little research here to find this out, but I'd rather take that surfing time to go look at some nude girls on the Web, so I'll ask here. Does anyone know the BCS Championship game setup, now that they've added an additional game?

Is it still #1 plays #2 in the final BCS rankings that come out after the regular season/conference championship games have been played? Or do they play the 4 BCS bowl games, and then have the 'extra' game the following week, after they have re-ranked the teams? (The assumption here is that they would pick the two highest rated teams who won their BCS bowl game.)

I orginally thought the second scenario was the way it was going to be, but it did occur to me that occasionally I can be an idiot. I doubt the execs managing the Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, and Orange would like their games reduced to a quasi semifinal. And all that setup would do is create even more bitching from the other two teams who won their BCS bowl and were left out of the title game.

Now that I think about it, it has to be the same setup as it is today, only now there are two more teams who get to play a big-money game.

Anyone know how they will rotate the #1 vs. #2 game? Will it remain among the current 4 mentioned above, or will they rotate every 5 years to include the added bowl?

Guest Guest

Nah, there's no +1 system in place yet, although I do see it as a pretty good idea. It's just another 2 teams that will get a cut of the BCS type of money. "Big Money" compared to the rest. I think it was the Cotton Bowl that was added to the line-up as well, being the 5th BCS game. I also believe that the format has now been changed to the 5 bowl rotation with the last added one picking up the last place in the new line-up.

Nah, there's no +1 system in place yet, although I do see it as a pretty good idea. It's just another 2 teams that will get a cut of the BCS type of money. "Big Money" compared to the rest. I think it was the Cotton Bowl that was added to the line-up as well, being the 5th BCS game. I also believe that the format has now been changed to the 5 bowl rotation with the last added one picking up the last place in the new line-up.

717886[/snapback]

A guest? How can a guest post? Anyway I like Notre Dame.

717886[/snapback]

Actually, no new sites were added to the lineup, believe it or not. Wherever the bcs #1 vs #2 is played, so is the 5th bcs bowl.

Following 2006 Regular Season:

Jan. 1, 2007 - Fiesta Bowl

Jan. 1, 2007 - Rose Bowl

Jan. 2, 2007 - Orange Bowl

Jan. 3, 2007 - Sugar Bowl

Jan. 8, 2007 - National Championship Game (Phoenix)

LOL!!! I have to give you credit for standing by and rooting for your team so ademately though. I was the same way about Notre Dame every year under Bob Davie and Ty Willingham. Oh, and for one day under George O'Leary. LOL!!!

LOL!!! I have to give you credit for standing by and rooting for your team so ademately though. I was the same way about Notre Dame every year under Bob Davie and Ty Willingham. Oh, and for one day under George O'Leary. LOL!!!

719353[/snapback]

I think if UBuffalo can squeak out wins at Auburn ( :P ), at Wisconsin ( :D ), and at Boston College ( :D ) this year, they will have a shot at a BCS bid.

Seriously, who made their schedule? They will be lucky to hold Auburn under 70.

I think Notre Dame will win this year...they should have beaten USC last year.  Speaking of USC, I dont even think they will win the Pac 10 this year.  Cal and Marshawn Lynch should beat them this year.

721094[/snapback]

Could be, for sure. Lynch is nice, and Cal always plays USC tough. But they have to come to L.A. and win. I don't think there's any question that USC lost a LOT of their core, but they've also had the #1 recruiting class in the nation the past three years. It is not out of line to assume that they will still have the best talent in the conference. Obviously, potential and execution are two very different things. But Carroll is a defensive coach, and I don't think you will see the pourous defense that was on the field last year. Tough to say, as USC has PLENTY of question marks, notably the offensive and defensive backfields. But look at the schedule:

Sat 09/02/06 @Arkansas Fayetteville, Ark. ESPN 7:45 PM

Sat 09/16/06 Nebraska L.A. Coliseum ABC 5:00 PM

Sat 09/23/06 @Arizona Tucson, Ariz. ABC 5:00 PM

Sat 09/30/06 @Washington State Pullman, Wash. TBA

Sat 10/07/06 Washington L.A. Coliseum TBA

Sat 10/14/06 Arizona State L.A. Coliseum ABC 5:00 PM

Sat 10/28/06 @Oregon State Corvallis, Ore. TBA

Sat 11/04/06 @Stanford Palo Alto, Calif. TBA

Sat 11/11/06 Oregon (Homecoming) L.A. Coliseum FSN 7:15 PM

Sat 11/18/06 California L.A. Coliseum ABC 5:00 PM

Sat 11/25/06 Notre Dame L.A. Coliseum ABC 5:00 PM

Sat 12/02/06 @UCLA Pasadena, Calif. ABC 1:30 PM

It is not unreasonable to say the Trojans should win the PAC-10. At Oregon St and at UCLA (who they OWN) are their toughest road games. Washington, Arizona St, Oregon, and Cal all at home bodes well. Notre Dame will be TOUGH! Not only do they have last year (34-31 on Leinart's sneak) fresh in their minds, but also the three whoopings USC handed out the three years before- '04: 41-10; '03: 45-14; and '02: 44-13 (I apologize for mentioning those Bart!) Notre Dame is going to want this bad!

By the way, watch out for Arizona as a sleeper in the conference. They have been getting better by leaps and bounds the past two years. They will come to play every week, and Stoops is starting to get some ballers in there.

but also the three whoopings USC handed out the three years before-  '04: 41-10; '03: 45-14; and '02: 44-13 (I apologize for mentioning those Bart!)

722276[/snapback]

fuc ker :doh:

btw - i put in for tickets to 4 ND games through the alumni lottery (including USC). got shut out of all 4. people are amped for this season bro.

and while we're at it, you're gonna have to explain to me one day how you went to school in Southern Cal and then went BACK to Buffalo?

fuc ker  :D

btw - i put in for tickets to 4 ND games through the alumni lottery (including USC).  got shut out of all 4.  people are amped for this season bro.

726456[/snapback]

That's what I heard. I think I was just reading an article the other day about the rediculous number of requests compared to the number of tix available. That's good- last year's team gave everyone the reminder of how things used to be (and are supposed to be.) I love the USC-ND rivalry...USC-UCLA has some serious hate; USC-ND has a little hate, but a ton of respect.

I was at USC from fall '97 to spring '01. Some lean football years. Paul Hackett- need I say more? Carson Palmer didn't quite have his game figured out. (Point of reference: They lost to Utah 10-6 in the Las Vegas Bowl my senior year. :doh: ) Of course when I leave they go on one of the best runs in history.

I usually get out there for 1 game a season. Last year, it just happened to be Fresno St, because the Bills were in San Diego the next day, so I went to both. I wasn't that excited about seeing the Fresno St game, I figured it would be a laugher. What a show! 50-42 with Bush's 500+ yards. Incredible. (Luckily I was extremely intoxicated for the Bills-Chargers game the next day and only vaguely remember that 48-10 disaster.)

and while we're at it, you're gonna have to explain to me one day how you went to school in Southern Cal and then went BACK to Buffalo?

726456[/snapback]

Haha, I get that a lot...Family business in the Buff, so I came back to suck off the family tit for a little while. Hopefully in the near future I will have saved enough millions to buy a piece of sh*t 1800 sq foot house out there!

I love Michigan's balance just about every year. They're one of the few teams with consistently good WR's, strong running game, and a solid defense; but they usually manage to throw away 2-3 games. Lloyd Carr is a bad football coach IMO.

Everyone knows the Cuse will take it home, as previously mentioned.

Forget about Notre Dame this year, their schedule is just too tough.

They will lose to either Ga.Tech, Penn St., or Michigan. Even if they do survive that, there is no way they go into Los Angeles and beat USC.

Sorry Irish fans, maybe next year.

As for Michigan, I love them, but road trips to South Bend, Happy Valley, & Columbus is a very tall order. They got the players, but they will need some luck as well.

I hate to admit it, but Ohio State looks for real to me. Especially if they can go into Austin and beat Texas. If they do, they have few concerns. They get both PSU & Michigan at home, which just leaves a road trip to Iowa as their only other major obstacle.

I agree that West Virginia has the easiest road. The game against Louisville is their big one.

Let's not forget Texas. They are still a very strong team. If they can beat Ohio State, that sets up another showdown with Oklahoma. Although one critical game could be the road trip to Lincoln against a rejuvenated Nebraska team.

USC is still for real as well. Their only strong road test is the first game against Arkansas. They get Nebraska, Arizona State, Oregon, California, & Notre Dame all at home.

3 teams we should not forget about:

Oklahoma. The Sooners are still very good. They only have one major road test against Oregon. After that there is only the Texas game as the big one left, and no Nebraska this year.

Florida. The SEC is very difficult to win, but Urban Meyer has had great things happen in his second year of coaching teams. Trips to Knoxville, Auburn, & Tallahassee might be too big to over come though. We'll see.

California. Very few people are talking about the Golden Bears. Their first game of the season, a road trip against Tennessee is huge. After that it's not too rough. Oregon and Arizona State are home games. Which just leaves the road trip to USC in late November. Watch out.

It'll be a fun year no doubt.

GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.