Top Ten Tortureous Moments for Buffalo

In the spirit of tonight, when 90% of all teams leading a game 7 heading into the 3rd period win. What has ripped your inerds most? Here's mine:

1) Wide Right - The grandaddy of them all. I have never truly recovered. I have never had that kind of feeling in the pit of my stomach from a sporting event before or since.

2) Thurman's 3rd qtr fumble in our 4th SB - We were up 13-6 at halftime and had the ball in the 3rd qtr! I felt that this actually could finally be the day. Thurman fumbled and James Washington returned it for a TD to tie the score 13-13. It gave everyone a feeling of "here we go again" and Dallas rolled the rest of the way 30-13.

3) No Goal - Game 6 (double?) OT goal with Bret Hull's skate clearly in the crease. It ended our cup dreams in horrible gut-wrenching fashion. We was robbed Part I.

4) Homerun Throwforward - Any Buffalo fan (and anyone with eyes) can see Wycheck was behind the line when he threw it and Dyson was in front of the line when he caught it. We was robbed Part II.

5) Kenneth Davis getting stuffed on 4th and goal in SB by Ken Norton Jr. - had he scored, would have changed the entire complexion of the game. KD did run a little too upright, and Norton made him pay for it.

6) Goal through the side of the net - Against Philly in the playoffs. Makes you think "only could happen to Buffalo." Hasek knew he had sealed himself to the post on that side and argued vehemently. . . alas, to no avail. Pre- instant replay days in the NHL?? I think I remember they reviewed it and let it freakin' stand?! No?

7) Thurman's losing his helmet - to start SB against Washington. What a bad omen of what would follow that day. Again, "only Buffalo". Have you ever heard of this any other time in your lives?

8) Doug Flutie taking a sack and fumbling - playoffs at Miami, we were at their goalline, time winding down, game on the line. So, What's stronger? Flutie Magic or the Buffalo Curse? . . . I guess the curse.

9) Andre Reed slamming his helmet down and getting 15 yards - Reed was clearly and blatantly mugged on the play. When he looked around and saw no flags, he was in shear disbelief, as were all Bills fans. His 15 yrd penalty compounded the atrocity and wiped out any chance to score before halftime. This play epitomized the days utter meltdown and frustration.

10) Tonights 3rd period - Maybe because it's fresh in my mind. But, 90% of all teams leading heading into the 3rd in a game 7 win. . . er, maybe it's about 89% now. But, seriously this one really hurts. Only an 8th seed that has taken off 9 days (and will therefore lose their magic and momentum) stood between us and sipping from the cup. To boot, we'd have had home-ice. How many times has that scenario presented itself in Sabre history?

Near misses:

- Bruce Smith having his hand right on the ball that Jeff Hostetler somehow held onto. It went as a safety, but this near TD would have sealed our first SB as a victory.

- Mark Ingram breaking about 8 tackles - Who could forget this colossal play? It was something like 3rd and 18 wasn't it? A huge first down. Likely the most frustrating single play in the middle of a game I have ever witnessed.

And lets not forget these things too:

Bruce Smith unable to make the trip to Pittsburgh for a playoff game against the Steelers in the mid 1990's because of the flu. I turned on the game and said "what?". . . kind of like when I got home from work tonight and found out McKee hadn't made the trip because of an infection? Hun? Hadn't he been playing all along?

Bruce Smith unable to make the trip to Pittsburgh for a playoff game against the Steelers in the mid 1990's because of the flu. I turned on the game and said "what?". . . kind of like when I got home from work tonight and found out McKee hadn't made the trip because of an infection? Hun? Hadn't he been playing all along?

702007[/snapback]

Just a word about that flu....

When I saw that he wasn't playing, I was as angry as you. About 3 weeks later, I started to feel sick at work; the chills, you know. I, who despise oppressive heat, drove home 40 miles with the heat on full blast.

When I got out of my car and walked to the house, I was SO cold (from just a few seconds outside) that I went to bed shivering, and woke up with my muscles aching from being clenched up in the fetal position, drenched with sweat and still shivering.

After that, it was about 5 or 6 days of high fever, vomiting, and everything else. I lost at least 8 or 10 pounds To make things worse, the department called me and ordered me in to see a department doctor. This was their way of curbing sick leave abuse. Fair enough. I had to of course "refuse" the order, telling them that it was hard to walk to the bathroom, let alone drive in to see a doctor. I invited them over to come take a look at me. :)

Needless to say, this caused an uproar. I had not used a sick day in 3 years, so they left me alone and told me to see their doctor in a week. He told me that it was one of the worst strains of flu he had ever seen. He was right, because I was never that sick before nor since, and I get a flu shot every fuggin year now!

So.....back to Bruce. There I was 3 weeks earlier, indignant that Bruce, in the above condition, didn't play PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL, in the freezing cold of Pittsburgh no less! <_< I have laughed about this many times since.

In summary, to all Bruce fans or detractors: The man was 100% legit in missing that game. He would not have had the strength to make it to, nor stand in the huddle, let alone play football.

This I know for a fact. :)

When I saw that he wasn't playing, I was as angry as you. About 3 weeks later, I started to feel sick at work; the chills, you know. I, who despise oppressive heat, drove home 40 miles with the heat on full blast.

When I got out of my car and walked to the house, I was SO cold (from just a few seconds outside) that I went to bed shivering, and woke up with my muscles aching from being clenched up in the fetal position, drenched with sweat and still shivering.

After that, it was about 5 or 6 days of high fever, vomiting, and everything else. I lost at least 8 or 10 pounds To make things worse, the department called me and ordered me in to see a department doctor. This was their way of curbing sick leave abuse. Fair enough. I had to of course "refuse" the order, telling them that it was hard to walk to the bathroom, let alone drive in to see a doctor. I invited them over to come take a look at me.  :)

Needless to say, this caused an uproar. I had not used a sick day in 3 years, so they left me alone and told me to see their doctor in a week. He told me that it was one of the worst strains of flu he had ever seen. He was right, because I was never that sick before nor since, and I get a flu shot every fuggin year now!

So.....back to Bruce. There I was 3 weeks earlier, indignant that Bruce, in the above condition, didn't play PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL, in the freezing cold of Pittsburgh no less!  <_<  I have laughed about this many times since.

In summary, to all Bruce fans or detractors: The man was 100% legit in missing that game. He would not have had the strength to make it to, nor stand in the huddle, let alone play football.

This I know for a fact.  :)

702020[/snapback]

But you're not a higly paid professional athlete. You got the common man flu, Bruce could have just paid his flu to leave his body. ;)

Marv playing for the FG inside the 10 yard line at the end of the first half during Super Bowl 28 instead of going for the TD and possibly taking a 17-6 lead to the half

the friggin shovel pass, i cant believe that was their big plan for that game. Worst part was watching sportscenter during the week a reporter was covering the Bills practice and they actually showed the Bills practicing this play

702007[/snapback]

Ah yes that Wonderful Pittsburgh game....I keep a special place in my heart for the classy middle-aged Steeler fan who told me (a 12 year old at the time) to "Get the fvck out of here" as he waved his gay yellow towel in my face.

What a great day.

But as for your list, very nicely done. I would add the Just give it to them game, because of its eventual ramifications.

#11) BenchBledsoe opines yet again that the world hates him and is out to torture him simply because he is from a particular part of the world. Resorts to making lists of things that have screwed him in the past. Soon unlikely to ever live in the present.

It's these types of things that make me want to jump over the Falls, but here goes...

1) Wide Right - The grandaddy of them all. I have never truly recovered. I have never had that kind of feeling in the pit of my stomach from a sporting event before or since.

My #1, also....I'm tired ofhearing about it, really.

3) No Goal - Game 6 (double?) OT goal with Bret Hull's skate clearly in the crease. It ended our cup dreams in horrible gut-wrenching fashion. We was robbed Part I.

Triple OT, actually. I remember Lindy tried arguing vehemently to the officials, but they didn't even bother as a whole slew of photographers and reporters were on the ice.

4) Homerun Throwforward - Any Buffalo fan (and anyone with eyes) can see Wycheck was behind the line when he threw it and Dyson was in front of the line when he caught it. We was robbed Part II.

And Bruce DeHaven was made the scapegoat for this...go figure. Didn't an RIT professor prove that there was no way the throw could have gone backward?

6) Goal through the side of the net - Against Philly in the playoffs. Makes you think "only could happen to Buffalo." Hasek knew he had sealed himself to the post on that side and argued vehemently. . . alas, to no avail. Pre- instant replay days in the NHL?? I think I remember they reviewed it and let it freakin' stand?! No?

This bugs me the most - and it would be up there as 2 or 3, but the stakes weren't quite that high (first round of the playoffs and Philly was clearly the better team that year). BUT, Hasek and 2 other players actually showed the torn net strands to the official and Darcy Regier showed it on the replay to the NHL officials upstairs and NOTHING WAS DONE ABOUT IT. I think replay was in its infancy then, but I don't even think it was reviewed at all. Since then, the NHL started the "war room" in Toronto to look after every goal in every game. A bit too late, guys.

8) Doug Flutie taking a sack and fumbling - playoffs at Miami, we were at their goalline, time winding down, game on the line. So, What's stronger? Flutie Magic or the Buffalo Curse? . . . I guess the curse.

This game stands out moreso to me because of a phantom defensive holding on Buffalo that led to a Miami TD and a 10-point lead and Reed supposedly not getting into the end zone and supposedly bumping the official that led to a FG and not a TD. This game was part of the reason the NFL went back to replays. Once again, a bit too late.

10) Tonights 3rd period - Maybe because it's fresh in my mind. But, 90% of all teams leading heading into the 3rd in a game 7 win. . . er, maybe it's about 89% now. But, seriously this one really hurts. Only an 8th seed that has taken off 9 days (and will therefore lose their magic and momentum) stood between us and sipping from the cup. To boot, we'd have had home-ice. How many times has that scenario presented itself in Sabre history?

You can make the excuse that 3 inexperienced defensemen helped the lead go away, but that's now what I saw. Carolina had been pressuring them all night and they seemed bound to score at least once. This is a game that showed how Buffalo never seems to get the bounces at the right time (see: Carolina's first goal) and that they can't finish - Afinogenov should have scored at least twice. This hurts because of every other bad thing that hasn't gone Buffalo's way is all just adding up now. If E$PN does some stupid Top 10 about Buffalo's bad breaks, I'm cancelling my cable.

Let's also not forget the "Just give it to him" game against New England in 1998. What looked to be a game-ending, incomplete out-of-bounds pass on 4th down that would have given the Bills a win was just given to the Patsies for a first down. This led to a hail mary and a phantom interference call in the end zone and a subsequent game-winning TD. Had the officials done their job correctly in this game, the playoff game against Miami would have been in Orchard Park and could easily have been a different outcome.

The problem with Bruce Smith and the flu was not that he did not play with the flu, but rather, he refused to get a flu shot when the rest of the team got theirs. That's what really angered me, not that he did not make the trip to Pittsburgh because he was sick.

#11) BenchBledsoe opines yet again that the world hates him and is out to torture him simply because he is from a particular part of the world. Resorts to making lists of things that have screwed him in the past. Soon unlikely to ever live in the present.

702064[/snapback]

<_<:):););)

After that, it was about 5 or 6 days of high fever, vomiting, and everything else. I lost at least 8 or 10 pounds To make things worse, the department called me and ordered me in to see a department doctor. This was their way of curbing sick leave abuse. Fair enough. I had to of course "refuse" the order, telling them that it was hard to walk to the bathroom, let alone drive in to see a doctor. I invited them over to come take a look at me.  :)

So.....back to Bruce. There I was 3 weeks earlier, indignant that Bruce, in the above condition, didn't play PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL, in the freezing cold of Pittsburgh no less!  <_<  I have laughed about this many times since.

702020[/snapback]

You are mostly correct.

As I recall, however, Bruce had earlier refused to get a flu shot. Because he did not get a flu shot, he probably was responsible for getting the flu in the first instance.

Nevertheless, the guy was a great player for the Bills and I am glad that he was on our team for most of his career.

I don't remember the Davis/Norton play - was that the 1st Dallas game?

I definitely agree with the Ingram play in the 1st SB. That was only 1 of about 5 3rd&longs they converted on that drive - the first of which was a screen to Meggett on 3rd&8.

Other honerable mentions should be the last 2 minutes of the 1st half of the Titans game - which made me think for the only time in my life that an NFL game was fixed.

Also, Kelly in his last year against Miami at home - played a horrible game but was a yard away from the tying TD - got called for the first (and still the only to my knowledge) intentional grounding penalty in NFL history by merely throwing the ball out of the back of the endzone.

Of course 1998 "just give it to em" in New England cost us a home playoff game and a subsequent perfect 4-0 playoff record against the fish; and then getting screwed in the actual game in Miami on top of that....awesome. What sticks out most about the Miami game was when we were down 17-14 and Marino is walking off the field after an incomplete 3rd down pass...30 seconds later....flag, defensive holding....24-14, game over.

There's another dozen reg. season Bills games I could mention too.

I had nightmares last night of the third period. Specifically, that puck just sitting there for seemingly 30 seconds while Rory Fitzpatrick went blind & stupid at the same time. It looked like it was in slow motion as it actually happened and was even slower in the nightmare.

702020[/snapback]

absolutely, bill. the flu is a goddamn serious illness, a fact that i think gets lost on some because of our tendency to call stomach viruses "the stomach flu" (there is of course no such thing). also, some people mistake bad colds for the flu. if you have the flu, you'll know the difference. if you're in the midst of it, there's no way you can even crawl out of the house, much less play in an nfl playoff game.

702003[/snapback]

I still had to laugh though when watching that movie, Buffalo 66, when, like 3 years later, the Anjelica Huston character is watching a tape of the game acting as if the kick might be good this time.

5) Kenneth Davis getting stuffed on 4th and goal in SB by Ken Norton Jr. - had he scored, would have changed the entire complexion of the game. KD did run a little too upright, and Norton made him pay for it.

702003[/snapback]

that was on third down. as you may recall, jimbo threw an INT on 4th down.