Theismann rips Argos for Williams move

Theismann on Ricky

"This is a feeble excuse for the Toronto Argonauts to sell tickets," Theismann told Toronto's Fan 590 radio station. "I am embarrassed to have worn that 'A' on my helmet, to think that they would stoop to this level to sell tickets, to bring in someone who is not worthy of playing professional football."

He has insulted professional football players, he has insulted professional football, he has been suspended from the National Football League, he doesn't want to play, he's going to a place where his value will be limited," Theismann continued.

And it's a damn shame that the Toronto Argonauts would not show a lot more class and pass on somebody who has been a repeat drug offender. To me, it's an insult to guys who put on the uniform."

"I don't ever want to be mentioned in the same breath as Ricky Williams as a football player," he said. "He's a disgrace to the game. The man doesn't deserve to play football."

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, he's certainly riding high on his horse today. Too bad he's a complete imbecile.

Ricky obviously has a lot of issues, but he is not like some evil guy like so many of the dirtbags that play football. He certainly betrayed the trust of his teammates, but he genuinely didn't want to play football anymore. Is that wrong? There is such a thing as free will in this country (and the one to our north). Then he was forced back into football because he was financially trapped by the Felons.

The guy smokes weed. Yeah, it's wrong but get some perspective. This is the same league that has a guy who killed someone driving drunk and got busted again; another guy who rips his QB to the point the team suspends him; guy who beat their pregnant wife; and a guy who was involved with a murder case and is one of the faces of the league. While I hate the Dolphins, Ricky Williams is far down on the list of what is wrong with pro football.

Theismann is a disgrace to broadcasting.

CFL has no set drug policy. In the CFL, guys can play on weed, crack, steroids- whatever.

Ricky may be an idiot to most but he still has the right to earn a living and he can play football better than he can do anything else. If someone gives him a chance, which the Argos have, who cares? It will be entertaining to see how RW screws the Argos.

Theismann should have kept his big mouth shut for once.

No one's sticking up for ricky williams. All that's being said is there are bigger pieces of sh-- who have done far worse things then try to find spiritual enlightenment, and smoke some pot. Unless you think thats worse then beating up your wife. Drawing guns on people or murder, to each their own I guess. :o

No one's sticking up for ricky williams. All that's being said is there are bigger pieces of sh-- who have done far worse things then try to find spiritual enlightenment, and smoke some pot.    Unless you think thats worse then beating up your wife. Drawing guns on people or murder, to each their own I guess.  :o

700252[/snapback]

Rules say you can't smoke pot and play in the NFL. What is so hard about that to understand? He failed the drug test 4 friggen times...........he's done!

I think guys like Leonard Little should be ripped by guys like Theismann, not Ricky Williams. There are numerous guys ahead of Ricky that should be considered a "disgrace" to the game. Theismann is an idiot probably a ploy to get attention for himself for monday night football.

Rules say you can't smoke pot and play in the NFL. What is so hard about that to understand? He failed the drug test 4 friggen times...........he's done!

700263[/snapback]

And that's why he isn't playing in the NFL.

can you post more often, please????

(gr8 avatar)

700238[/snapback]

Yes but I find I never know what it is eball is saying.

I can never seem to move my eyes to the right. :o

700263[/snapback]

This doesn't make Theismann any less an idiot. I never liked this JT. Runs his friggin mouth too much. This is just another example. What do you say we get LT all amped up on some coke and have him reenact that lovely scene from years past. Think he'd tell LT what a disgrace HE is?

I don't understand the vitriol directed at JT, especially in implicit support of Ricky.

Just because there are other disgraceful players in the league does not make Ricky any less of a disgrace. Maybe at one level, you can say he is human and his decision to not play football is acceptable. But he just did not handle it correctly. He should have decided earlier in the (off) season that he was calling it quits to allow his team to plan adequately for his departure. He made it worse by later returning and 'wanting to play' when he obviously was doing it to simply relieve himself of the financial obligations.

Secondly, if he did not want to play, what is he doing with the Argos ? He should have simply vanished into oblivion under the cover of his pot haze and nobody would have cared or criticized him.

Lastly, I agree with Thiesman (sp?). I don't know his own personal history but unless he indulged in such behavior, I think he has earned to right to call out a player when he believes they are wrong. So there, I said it.

Two comments:

1) It would not shock me if Ricky decides to stay in Toronto, assuming there is no financial obligation to the Dolfags.

2) I may check out an Argos game this year. When are the Argos holding "Spleeff Night?"

PTR