Coach Jauron comments on Willis

let's try to close all the open wounds about Willis and OTA's.....

You can argue either way with these things, but the fact is, there is plenty of work the Bills need to do, and part of that is evaluating the younger guys on the team.

I have heard by more than one Head Coach that the fact that some of their vets are not at the OTA's only gives them more time to deal with the newcomers and younger guys.

now let's get off Willis' back. :(

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3787

Jauron doesn't seem happy that these players aren't there-he's just resigned to it.

698333[/snapback]

That's how I read it as well.

I agree with Kirwan's take on Sirius yesterday:

Other than a few stragglers at most,

veteran players on teams that are poised to make a play-off run and

veteran players that feel good about the direction a team is going in

tend to have very strong participation at OTA's.

and that the relatively poor turn-out does not reflect well on DJ and the Bills.

Everything may end up fine once the season starts, but right now I don't see any way to spin it out of being a negative.

What's the big deal? Its only a new Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Offensive Line including Center, New QB rotation, new playbook, new Conditioning Coach, new General Manager.

The uniforms are the same. The owner's the same. Bobby April came back.

What the hell? Smoke another doobie and relax Willis. Its offseason and you won 5 games last year. Or was it four? or...six. Something.

Dick Jauron sounds beaten and minicamp hasn't even started.

:(

What's the big deal? Its only a new Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Offensive Line including Center, New QB rotation, new playbook, new Conditioning Coach, new General Manager.

What the hell? Smoke another doobie and relax Willis. Its offseason and you won 5 games last year. Or was it four? or...six. Something.

Dick Jauron sounds beaten and minicamp hasn't even started.

:(

698351[/snapback]

See, if it was only Willis, it wouldn't bother me too much at all...

And Jauron acknowledges that making offseason progress toward that end is harder when 10 of your key players are not working with the rest of the team.
:P

How about if the proposed starters learn how to score and stop opponents from scoring?  Then we can worry about what the young players can do.  The development of non-starters is hardly a luxury this team can afford.

698335[/snapback]

Give that man a cigar! Willis and Jp can eat snickers and drink pepsi all summer for all I care, as long as they finally start producing in September.

698351[/snapback]

And Chuck Lester is back too

and that the relatively poor turn-out does not reflect well on DJ and the Bills.

Everything may end up fine once the season starts, but right now I don't see any way to spin it out of being a negative.

698339[/snapback]

that makes a lot of sense, actually.

698339[/snapback]

Whats the point, maybe the team knows exactly what posters here believe and that is the Bills will not ba a playoff team this year and maybe not next year (since they are "rebuilding" and Marv and Ralph are too old and Senile, and DJ is a perennial loser) so they figure whats the point in doing something that teams that make the playoffs do this year and the vets won't show up for optional workouts until next year, when according to the fans, they have a shot at being a playoff team.

If you are going to continually bad mouth Willis for not showing, why not go after the other players (10 I believe) that didn't show up too. Dick Jauron was out golfing yesterday during the day, lets fire him for not being at One Bills Drive working all day

Agreed. 10 isn't too cool at all.

698633[/snapback]

I don't know if we should worry an awful lot about veterans missing minicamps in May. The minicamps should really do no more than evaluate the newcomers and where they'll fit and allow the coaches to start working on the overall plan of the team. Yes, it would be great if *everyone* was there, but that's just a bonus in my mind. As long as there is continual contact between the players and coaches, I think it's ok to miss a minicamp or two. Hell, they have about 10 or so between March and July, anyway.

That said, all of the players really should get together...and fast. There's a lot of work to do to turn around this crappy 5-11 team and having Willis and anyone else do their own thing doesn't really help.

I also took DJ's comments as him being annoyed that everyone wasn't there and I don't blame him. If I were him, I'd tell everyone to get your a$$ up to Buffalo if you want to play in September.

698339[/snapback]

Exactly. Some people think it's no big deal since these OTA's are "voluntary". I think it's a BIG DEAL with the new coaching staff when some of the expected leaders (Fletcher, Vincent) don't bother to show.

A team wanting to win would be in there to get a head start on preperation for the new season. Perhaps a few more veterans need to be released??!!!

Winning cures all....

If we can put together a winning record this year we will probably see more at camp next year......

PS on Troy Vincent....this guy really needs to be at the OTA because as far as I am concerned his job is on the line....

Ko Simpson is a real talent and was considered by some draft rags to the the BEST safety coming out this year in a pretty deep class......

Vincent's days could be numbered......

Winning cures all....

If we can put together a winning record this year we will probably see more at camp next year......

PS on Troy Vincent....this guy really needs to be at the OTA because as far as I am concerned his job is on the line....

Ko Simpson is a real talent and was considered by some draft rags to the the BEST safety coming out this year in a pretty deep class......

Vincent's days could be numbered......

698722[/snapback]

J from H, it may be in JP's best interest that TV is not running around on the same field in May....