Salisbury Steaks His Claim. Bills in trouble

They were talking about coaching changes, and he said that Jauron is a really good guy who stepped into a horrible situation. Very thin talent in Buffalo. The draft was horrible. Bills and Jets are going to struggle to get to 6 victories.

I wish I could've called in. Nobody seems to notice Youboty and Ko Simpson as good picks. Everybody seems to trash the first two choices.

Wonder how they felt about Andre Reed. Don Beebe. Darryl Talley.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were talking about coaching changes, and he said that Jauron is a really good guy who stepped into a horrible situation.  Very thin talent in Buffalo.  The draft was horrible.  Bills and Jets are going to struggle to get to 6 victories. 

I wish I could've called in.  Nobody seems to notice Youboty and Ko Simpson as good picks.  Everybody seems to trash the first two choices. 

Wonder how they felt about Andre Reed.  Don Beebe.  Darryl Talley.

695325[/snapback]

when someone like Salsbury critiques the Bills, I feel pretty good about their chances.

LISTEN TO ME!!!! NOBODY LISTENS TO SALISBURY ANYMORE. HE MAKES INCORRECT PREDICTIONS ALL THE TIME AND HE ALWAYS SIDE WITH SOMEONE'S OPINION. Never makes his own decisions. I hate the guy. If you listen to him enoug, I really think he hates the Bills.

He's is a joke. He thought that the Steelers would lose the first round in the playoffs and think the Steelers will win the superbowl again. I could name almost 50 things wrong with him, but then this post would be a little too long.

It was a lousy draft if one is focusing on draft value (which is decided based on a rough consnesus of draft pundits who are at work developing a product to market and sell to TV watching masses and fantasy league addicts) but appears to be a good draft if your focus is on team building (which is determined by the plan of the braintrust of a particular team and whose success is ultimately determined by getting Ws rather than being saddled with Ls).

Draft vallue determination and team building though obviously linked are two different things.

Ultimately success in team building will be determined by multiple factors including the other facets of team building like FAs acquired and fit into a working team system,, UDFAs acquired and developed, trades and other factord. Though ESPN (and many fans) would fail to admit (or oft times even see it), the draft is a great source for talented players, but is only part of a team building strategy and not even the lead factor in the building of most winning teams.

It makes perfect sense that Salisbury would judge our draft a failure because he is really in the business of selling his personality and creating controversy as the worst thing to get in his business is to be ignored (having folks trash him as an idiot is far better than being ignored). His focus is merely on draft value and the focus of this effort for many fans is first day or simply first round picks.

On the other hand, I much prefer the Bills braintrust focus on filling particular gaps to win as they can because who knows when Ralph will kick the bucket. When your team has huge gaps at positions like SS and DT because no one on your roster is a credible starter, the goal of the draft is to get at least two players who can start there immediately. As indicated by no DT going at all in the 2nd round and the next SS taken was Allen who most do not view as a goo shot at starting right away (due to his rehabbing leg and potentially talent level) the Bills seem to have done quite well getting the second of 2 players who appeared ready to start immediately at SS and they got the player they judged to be at worst the 3rd best DT and someone who at least will contibute immediately to the DL rotation.

These test is whether the Bills braintrust assessments are correct and judging by the seeming consensus , Whitner looks like an immediate starter and McCargo may have been a reach but may even be better than Ngots snd Bunkley.

We will see.

They were talking about coaching changes, and he said that Jauron is a really good guy who stepped into a horrible situation.  Very thin talent in Buffalo.  The draft was horrible.  Bills and Jets are going to struggle to get to 6 victories. 

I wish I could've called in.  Nobody seems to notice Youboty and Ko Simpson as good picks.  Everybody seems to trash the first two choices. 

Wonder how they felt about Andre Reed.  Don Beebe.  Darryl Talley.

695325[/snapback]

VERY THIN ON TALENT

OK, I'll grant you the Bills certainly do njot Super Bowl champion talent but come on! The QB is a major uestion mark, but the Bills have a strong group of receivers, a good RB, if they can get healthy, solid TE's, the defense look very strong, and the Bills special teams are great!

On paper the Bills top 4 picks were as good as anyone in the draft. In reality the Bills may have drafted 4 of the best 50 or 60 players in the draft. According to some draft rankings the Bills did just that!

With some good coaching and a break or two, the Bills could be a playoff contender. With all due respect, the career benchwarmer has no idea what he is talking about!

VERY THIN ON TALENT

OK, I'll grant you the Bills certainly do njot Super Bowl champion talent but come on!  The QB is a major uestion mark, but the Bills have a strong group of receivers, a good RB, if they can get healthy, solid TE's, the defense look very strong, and the Bills special teams are great!

On paper the Bills top 4 picks were as good as anyone in the draft.  In reality the Bills may have drafted 4 of the best 50 or 60 players in the draft.  According to some draft rankings the Bills did just that!

With some good coaching and a break or two, the Bills could be a playoff contender.  With all due respect, the career benchwarmer has no idea what he is talking about!

695373[/snapback]

Well said. I think are draft was very good. I think we have made huge strides in improving the team this offseason and i am actually excited about our chances and am genuinly hopeing for a playoff berth this season not in three more. Sure its a building year but that means we are improving. you cant honestly say we will do worse than last year.

I have to agree with Salisbury this time. <_< I'm not really happy at all. We still have no offensive line and our free agency period was a joke.

I'll wait to see the product on the field, but at this point I think we are in no better shape than we were last year at this point.

The truth of the matter is whether you like Salisbury or not his prediction isn't too off base unless you think this team has a chance of winning 8 games which just won't happen.

Winning 6 games would be a about right considering the talent that the rest of the AFC teams have.

The NFL ain't like Hockey guys!

I have to agree with Salisbury this time.  <_<  I'm not really happy at all. We still have no offensive line and our free agency period was a joke.

I'll wait to see the product on the field, but at this point I think we are in no better shape than we were last year at this point.

695389[/snapback]

Larry Triplett, Melvin Fowler, Peerless Price, Tuten Reyes, Craig Nall and Andre Davis are all very solid pick ups for this team.

What's the matter, not enough big time names for you?

The Bills improved IMMENSELY if for no other reason than jettisoning TD and seeing Mularkey leave (and join the Dols <_<). TD had 5 years and the Bills never made the playoffs so his time was up, and hearing the players talk about the lack of leadership by MM, not to mention learning that HE was the OC for most of last season, made me realize what a dud HE was.

And I agree that shoring-up the OL with guys like Fowler, Reyes, and Royal were good moves, and replacing Adams with Tripplett was another good move.

Very thin talent in Buffalo.  The draft was horrible. 

695325[/snapback]

Disagree and disagree.

There's nothing to talk about right now so these talking heads are going to stir up a few callers this way. Saulsbury is one of the people that I believe was IN LOVE with J.P. Losman too.

I think solid coaching and an entire organization on THE SAME PAGE is going to go a long way. People forget about that.

I agree that the bills don't have the talent to make to the playoffs but I do think they improved the roster over last year. The dolfins and jets will improve this year and the patriots still have superior talent and coaching as a result the improvement will not translate into a much better record this year.