Salisbury Steaks His Claim. Bills in trouble

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing though. Salisbury really was supporting the bills last off season. He used to argue with John Skeleton of ESPN about the bills and kept claiming that the bills were ready to unseat the Patriots.....He felt we had a veteran team that could compete.

One thing though.  Salisbury really was supporting the bills last off season. He used to argue with John Skeleton of ESPN about the bills and kept claiming that the bills were ready to unseat the Patriots.....He felt we had a veteran team that could compete.

See. Shows how much HE knows! :lol:

I find it absolutley astonishing that anyone would think we are not weaker at wide receiver.  For your numerous pages of rationalization, one only has to look at how bad our offense was in Miami, after Moulds was on the bench, and the following week in New England to know that as a receiver or decoy, he was a huge part of our offense and it was anemic without him.

You may not have read about any Bills supporting him but I recally Bills wide outs saying that the Bills were a different team without him, he took pressure off of them and they needed him.

The fact that Peerless Price couldn't get a decent look elsewhere pretty much tells me all I have to know about his skills at this point.  He was given a sweetheart deal but there is no way that he will draw the double teams like Moulds did.

While you might like the Bills having a St Louis O, I am not.  Unlike St Louis, the Bills do not play in a dome.  Having at least one big physical receiver who can use his body to get position on a DB and get a reception is a huge plus, especially for a team that often times plays in inclement weather.  Moulds could do that.  Our smurfs can not.

How good was Levy at stopping the run in 4 Super Bowls?  I'm not convinced that there is a singlen Bills DL on this team that could have cracked the starting line up in the Super Bowl years.  I didn't like his undersized tackles then and expect to see running backs running right up the gut again this year.  Levy's talk about stopping the run is little more that a cliche.  Talk about brain trusts all you want but bulk and strength at the point of attack are a big plus and we don't have it.  Given our smallish LBs and a rookie SS, it ain't looking pretty.

I said it before and I'll say it again, this a 3-13 team.

696913[/snapback]

OK, the wide receivers situation is still up in the air without Moulds, but what else did he do for Buffalo last year besides be a decoy for Evans? The WR situation is not the best in the league, but its a little above mediocre, they are a very fast group of young receivers

As for the D-line Marv did not decided to run the Cover-2, that was DJ. I see though by your response there is only one way to play defence in the league though, get a bunch of fat blobs on the line and just get them to keep the RB from going through the middle. The Cover-2 is a different system and has worked before for other teams, DJ has been apart of a few of them, hopefully he can run it with success cause Buffalos past few attempts of running the fat blobs in the middle of the line to keep RB from going up the middle hasn't been working that well for us in the past either.

I would be with alot of the pessismists here if the exact same moves were made this offseason but the show was still being run by MM and TD, But with new coaches and a new GM anything can happen. Buffalo went from being a playoff contendor the year before to a team that almost had a pick in the top 5 the year afteronly losing a couple of key players and some "wonderful" :lol: coaching decissions

This will be a completely differnet team next year and we could see a bunch of guys that have stunk the past few years become a star under the new coaching. Maybe Bennie or Coy will be Pro Bowlers next year, (it could happen :) , but I know, not likely) This team could go 3-13 or 13-3, right now its impossible to tell

OK, the wide receivers situation is still up in the air without Moulds, but what else did he do for Buffalo last year besides be a decoy for Evans? The WR situation is not the best in the league, but its a little above mediocre, they are a very fast group of young receivers

697065[/snapback]

Did you bother to read what I wrote? The fact that he drew double teams and opened things up for Evans certainly helped. Who is going to do that now? So what if they are all fast? Is that really a benefit in cold, windy weather? Wouldn't it be nice to have ONE jut ONE big receiver who can use his body to get position on a DB?

As for the D-line Marv did not decided to run the Cover-2, that was DJ. I see though by your response there is only one way to play defence in the league though, get a bunch of fat blobs on the line and just get them to keep the RB from going through the middle. The Cover-2 is a different system and has worked before for other teams, DJ has been apart of a few of them, hopefully he can run it with success cause Buffalos past few attempts of running the fat blobs in the middle of the line to keep RB from going up the middle hasn't been working that well for us in the past either.

Excuse me, but where did I say that? Somewhere between being a fly weight and being a fat blob lies a strong effective lineman. We are on the fly weight end of the scale.

I would be with alot of the pessismists here if the exact same moves were made this offseason but the show was still being run by MM and TD, But with new coaches and a new GM anything can happen.

Oh thats brilliant. Just trust in Marv.

Buffalo went from being a playoff contendor the year before to a team that almost had a pick in the top 5 the year afteronly losing a couple of key players and some "wonderful"  coaching decissions

Amazing how the loss of key players can affect you. I haven't seen any of those key players replaced by anyone playing close to their level. If anything, we've lost a few more key players.

Damn Scraps, you are so right...I agree completely. Those that say Moulds was nothing better than a decoy are just plain dumb. He meant a lot to the Bills, much more than people know at this point...but will see next season when he's not here. We don't even have a #1 receiver...say what you want about Lee Evans, he's a solid #2 in my book...until he steps up and grabs a few more catches than 48 in a year.

And to say none of Moulds teammates stood up for him? I didn't hear much critisizm either. In fact Lee Evans has said all along that he'll miss Moulds and how much he learned from him. Clements is on record saying the Moulds situation was overhyped and was blown out of proportion.

I also agree with Scraps' point that we let Sam Adams and Milloy go, and haven't replaced those positions with their level of players in the least. I'm excited to see Whitner in there, sure, but the O-line and D-line still have me worried.

Damn Scraps, you are so right...I agree completely. Those that say Moulds was nothing better than a decoy are just plain dumb. He meant a lot to the Bills, much more than people know at this point...but will see next season when he's not here. We don't even have a #1 receiver...say what you want about Lee Evans, he's a solid #2 in my book...until he steps up and grabs a few more catches than 48 in a year.

And to say none of Moulds teammates stood up for him? I didn't hear much critisizm either. In fact Lee Evans has said all along that he'll miss Moulds and how much he learned from him. Clements is on record saying the Moulds situation was overhyped and was blown out of proportion.

I also agree with Scraps' point that we let Sam Adams and Milloy go, and haven't replaced those positions with their level of players in the least. I'm excited to see Whitner in there, sure, but the O-line and D-line still have me worried.

697474[/snapback]

I can't imagine anyone being worried about replacing Milloy after he missed 12,975 tackles last year (broken wrist or not).

I agree on the rest. Throughout Moulds' entire tenure here the offense was dreadful with him out of the lineup - including 2003 when he was injured from October on and our offense failed to score a TD in 7 out of 16 games.

Both sides of the trenches are still clearly bad, which is all that really matters.

Did you bother to read what I wrote?  The fact that he drew double teams and opened things up for Evans certainly helped.  Who is going to do that now?  So what if they are all fast?  Is that really a benefit in cold, windy weather?  Wouldn't it be nice to have ONE jut ONE big receiver who can use his body to get position on a DB?

Excuse me, but where did I say that?  Somewhere between being a fly weight and being a fat blob lies a strong effective lineman.  We are on the fly weight end of the scale.

Oh thats brilliant.  Just trust in Marv.

Amazing how the loss of key players can affect you.  I haven't seen any of those key players replaced by anyone playing close to their level.  If anything, we've lost a few more key players.

697128[/snapback]

I also agree with Scraps.... In regards to replacements...well my thought is we're very weak at DT and I'm still not sure why they felt is was necessary to cut Sam Adams. He was a big body who could penetrate the pocket. And he was still under contract for a fair salary. It seems to me that the cutting of Sam Adams much like Pat Williams the year before came back to bite them. When you look at our DL opposing teams can't wait to run on us. With our projected starters I really don't see a unit that will cause havoc for a QB NOR do I see them creating much of a scare for opposing RB's.

We need to be able to do one or the other and even if we get too the QB teams will just run the ball on us and control the clock.

funny, how after 2004, many expected the Bills to challenge for the division, and those same people expected the Dolphins to have a very crappy rebuilding-type season.

we all know how things ended up.

you just never know....

695578[/snapback]

And for many of us, that's what keeps us coming back for more.

I am convinced that, with the internet, NFL network and sirius NFL radio going 24-7 on the NFL -- the 'experts' honestly don't have much more information than we do nowadays.

I have no doubt that we know WAY more about the Bills than he does, he is just flapping his gums. Most of us watch every game, may go to training camp, and have been doing so for a long time. Salsbury I bet didn't watch one Bills game last year from beginning to end.

Him talking about the bills would be like us having to talk about the cleveland browns. We'd read crap on the internet for 20 minutes, and then blow smoke out of our arses.

Take the 'experts' opinions with a grain of salt, because that's generally all it's worth.

I also agree with Scraps.... In regards to replacements...well my thought is we're very weak at DT and I'm still not sure why they felt is was necessary to cut Sam Adams. He was a big body who could penetrate the pocket. And he was still under contract for a fair salary. It seems to me that the cutting of Sam Adams much like Pat Williams the year before came back to bite them. When you look at our DL opposing teams can't wait to run on us. With our projected starters I really don't see a unit that will cause havoc for a QB NOR do I see them creating much of a scare for opposing RB's.

We need to be able to do one or the other and even if we get too the QB teams will just run the ball on us and control the clock.

697587[/snapback]

We'll see. They're trying to build a line of penetrators (I feel dirty saying that). I think the logic is that the big guys wear down over the course of a game and the course of a season (Sam did this for sure). I'm not sure I buy it 100% but I'm willing to give Jauron the benefit of the doubt. One thing I do like is the idea of rotation and getting hungry guys in there consistently, battling each other for playing time and also keeping fresh.

Well I was with the group of people who wanted to see Moulds stay, but what are you going to do now, he refused to stay and is now a Texan. The WR position doesn't scare me as much as it does to some of you. We don't have that one big threat anymore, but have gone with the couple of smaller threats that could take the double team pressure now off of Evans. Atleast this is the plan if Peerless comes back to his old self and a couple other of our WR's step it up. Last time I checked you don't have to have a big #1 receiver to be good in the NFL, Carolina showed that this year.

Yes the DT's are on the smaller end of the scale, and in some defencive styles that wouldn't work, but the cover 2 rely's on the smaller speedier DT's rather then the large stay at home and block ones. I don't believe that the defence won't be good because our DT's are too small, it is going to rely on how well they understand and execute the new system.

As for the just trusting Marv, What more can you do? I never said I was just trusting him, I said it is possible that a new coach and GM can turn this team around. One of the biggest problems with the team last year was the coaching, now thats been changed, maybe this new coaching staff can change some attitudes and turn the team around. Maybe they can make some servicable players out of some of the guys that underachieved last year. None of this can be determined until the season starts

Yes we have lost some key players, everyteam does every offseason. But some of those key players, although gifted athletes, had attitudes that hurt this team (Moulds, Adams) and were replaced with players who might not be as gifted athleticly, but are the kind of players who will give 120%. They are know for being hard working, never give up kind of players, something you can't say about some of the guys that were cut.

Salisbury was talking on Espn radio about how the Eagles were suppose to be the best in the NFC East this year.  I don't see them even getting close.  Dallas ( <_< ) and the Giants are way better then them.

697634[/snapback]

I wouldn't understimate the Redskins given that Joe Gibbs has that program turned around....Rermember they lost a very close winnable Playoff game at

Seattle.

So you HAVE to have a guy like Moulds to have a successful offense?  How about good play-designs, execution, and speed?

697610[/snapback]

Given good execution and play-designs, which receiving corps is better Evans, Moulds, Reed and Parrish or Evans, Price, Reed and Parrish?

Well I was with the group of people who wanted to see Moulds stay, but what are you going to do now, he refused to stay and is now a Texan. The WR position doesn't scare me as much as it does to some of you. We don't have that one big threat anymore, but have gone with the couple of smaller threats that could take the double team pressure now off of Evans. Atleast this is the plan if Peerless comes back to his old self and a couple other of our WR's step it up. Last time I checked you don't have to have a big #1 receiver to be good in the NFL, Carolina showed that this year.

697822[/snapback]

The WR position doesn't scare me. However it is an area where the Bills have regressed. If I'm looking for a reason to be optimistic about the Bills this year relative to last year, I'm not going to look at the WR position.

As for the just trusting Marv, What more can you do?

Not build false hope.

I never said I was just trusting him, I said it is possible that a new coach and GM can turn this team around. One of the biggest problems with the team last year was the coaching, now thats been changed, maybe this new coaching staff can change some attitudes and turn the team around. Maybe they can make some servicable players out of some of the guys that underachieved last year. None of this can be determined until the season starts

New coach, maybe. The new GM I'm not as convinced will have a positive influence on the outcome this year. The GM is responsible for getting players that improve the team. I'm not convinced Marv has done that but can find places where we have regressed.

Yes we have lost some key players, everyteam does every offseason. But some of those key players, although gifted athletes, had attitudes that hurt this team (Moulds, Adams) and were replaced with players who might not be as gifted athleticly, but are the kind of players who will give 120%. They are know for being hard working, never give up kind of players, something you can't say about some of the guys that were cut.

Did Moulds and Adams attitudes really hurt the team? Or did MM lose the confidence of the team? What did Moulds or Adams do that was hurtful? They wanted to play at key moments and be more than just a decoy. Moulds may not have been the hardest working guy but I'd take him over Price on any given Sunday.

I'd take good execution, play-designs, and coaching and the 2nd group or bad execution, play-designs, and coaching, and the first group.

698402[/snapback]

Those weren't the options. Can you honestly answer my question? Given good execution and play-designs, which receiving corps is better Evans, Moulds, Reed and Parrish or Evans, Price, Reed and Parrish?

Come on folks...what's with all the kvetching about what Salisbury had to say? Did it all hit a bit too close to home? Even the most optomistic of you know that an 8 win season would be the upper limits for this YOUNG team with a new head coach and an OL that's still shaky at best.