Despite how you feel about Kerry....

Buftex

Much like his comment that the subways were shut down in NY during the convention. It is my understanding that only a few areas were shut down, but that the subway continued to run.

Or much like his comment that Bush hasn't spend a single penny on cop and fire departments, which is completely innacurate as well. And when Bush would start countering that point, Kerry would just grin and shake his head as if "damn, I thought I could get that one past him."

Kerry's blunders last night far outweighed the incumbents, and as the days pass, they will come out. The question becomes, will people turn off Survivor long enough to find out?

Probably not.

52107[/snapback]

Perhaps if you're complaining about facts you should have facts, or get them right yourself. He said they shut down the "subway in New York", which they did. He didnt say they shut the whole system down. He said the President didn't spend one nickel to fix the biridges and tunnels, nothing about a nickel for the cops and firehouses.

KERRY: The president hasn't put one nickel, not one nickel into the effort to fix some of our tunnels and bridges and most exposed subway systems. That's why they had to close down the subway in New York when the Republican Convention was there. We hadn't done the work that ought to be done.

What Kerry said about the cops and firehouses was also true.

KERRY: Jim, let me tell you exactly what I'll do. And there are a long list of thing. First of all, what kind of mixed message does it send when you have $500 million going over to Iraq to put police officers in the streets of Iraq, and the president is cutting the COPS program in America?

What kind of message does it send to be sending money to open firehouses in Iraq, but we're shutting firehouses who are the first- responders here in America.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He also said that he is going to fund police and firemen (the first responders), work on tightening security at our ports, nuclear and chemical plants, and air cargo. In my opinion Mr. Kerry did state at least some of the things he would do differently than what is presently being done. Then again, I'm just a lemming.

52049[/snapback]

Yes...provide for security and first responders. What's he calling it, the "Maginot Line" plan? Like I said...he doesn't comprehend the basic difference between police work and warfare. Hell, I doubt he even understands that we're fighting a war.

Yes...provide for security and first responders.  What's he calling it, the "Maginot Line" plan?  Like I said...he doesn't comprehend the basic difference between police work and warfare.  Hell, I doubt he even understands that we're fighting a war.

52157[/snapback]

To bad we don't have a "smilie" for something going over your head, because if we did that's what I would put up here. I understood what he said to mean giving funds to police and firemen who are our first responders, instead of police and firemne being cut because of budget constraints which is what is happening at the present. What that has to do with the difference between police work and warfare you'll have to explain to me because I don't make the connection.

If the Bush voters on this board say that no one won the debate, then that means to me that Kerry won.

Glad to see that someone FINALLY cracked that faux, folksy, keep it simple personality, and let the REAL Bush personality show through. Ahh, I can have a great weekend now  :D

Flame me all you want, Bushies. I am off to the beach for the weekend. CYA  :)

Keep the battle going... don't let the sheer numbers of Bushies on this board get you down, fellow Anti-GWBers :) :)

52015[/snapback]

I definately thought Kerry was the better speaker.....

Doesn't mean I would want him making decisions for the country though.....

Actually, they didn't shut down the subway in new york at all. look it up.

52159[/snapback]

And you hit the nail on the head of Kerry's speech.....

The problem I had with it was that he was flat out LYING through most of it.....as I sit there and I watch Bush's expressions I cannot help but think what is going through his mind.....WHY IS KERRY MAKING UP THE stevestojan

I mean....it sounded good...but it wasn't true....I was waiting for Bush to call him on the carpent about some of it....but he never did.

To bad we don't have a "smilie" for something going over your head, because if we did that's what I would put up here.  I understood what he said to mean giving funds to police and firemen who are our first responders, instead of police and firemne being cut because of budget constraints which is what is happening at the present. What that has to do with the difference between police work and warfare you'll have to explain to me because I don't make the connection.

52170[/snapback]

Basic point being preventing an attack vs responding to an attack.

And you hit the nail on the head of Kerry's speech.....

The problem I had with it was that he was flat out LYING through most of it.....as I sit there and I watch Bush's expressions I cannot help but think what is going through his mind.....WHY IS KERRY MAKING UP THE stevestojan

I mean....it sounded good...but it wasn't true....I was waiting for Bush to call him on the carpent about some of it....but he never did.

52179[/snapback]

I believe it was because of that debates format. No questioning each other.

Kerry wants to to bring in more allies in IUraq,yea right , and work together and then he says he wants to go it alone with North Korea . Increase the size of the military ,yea right, what with the draft naturally. Yes Kerry won the debating for debating purposes , but his messages are still good ole Flopenstien.What a loser

Actually, they didn't shut down the subway in new york at all. look it up.

52159[/snapback]

The following subway entrances will be CLOSED during the convention:

Eighth Ave./33 St: A, C and E trains

Seventh Ave./33 St (NW corner closed): 1, 2, 3, 9 trains

I guess perhaps they werent closed but when they don't stop there and you cannot get in or out, what would you call it? :)

Since most of us already know who we're going to vote for, it doesn't really matter who we think won the debate. What matters is who swayed the undecided or soft voters to lean towards voting for them. I will say that for a Kerry supporter like myself it reenergized my enthusiasm to do what I can to encourage others to vote for Kerry.

Since most of us already know who we're going to vote for, it doesn't really matter who we think won the debate.  What matters is who swayed the undecided or soft voters to lean towards voting for them.  I will say that for a Kerry supporter like myself it reenergized my enthusiasm to do what I can to encourage others to vote for Kerry.

52226[/snapback]

You should use the same talking points you use here. That's bound to be effective.

As someone who hasn't made up his voting mind yet, I can definitley say Kerry did nothing last night that would move me towards his corner. Nor did GW do anything to move away from him. I want to believe that there's a better candidate out there, but I refuse to vote for someone because they're not somebody, which I imagine make up a good number of Kerry supporters.

Few observations:

Neither of these guys should be using their military experience as a platform and Kerry uses his a safety net. GW just doesn't mention his Guard expereince, as well he shouldn't. I grew up in a military family and when a multiple tour Vietnam vets (other than the swift boat thing) tell me something's not right with Kerry's record, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

True, GW was entertaining with the facial expressions. My girlfriend (who would vote for Charles Manson if he was running against Bush) was commenting that only a dolt would act so childish. I have to say I had a different impression. GW honestly either hates Kerry, or he believes Kerry is incompetent, lying, or both. Having said that, as acting presdient, he needs to realize the camera is always on him, especially considering how the GOP smacked Gore for doing the same thing.

I thought that Kerry should have been better prepared to answer rebuttles. This wasn't set out in the "rules," but both candidates used additional time in the new questions to rebuttle the rebuttle (?). Once GW refuted a criticism, Kerry should have been ready to fire back. I think he prepared within the rules and wasn't ready with a second punch if Bush dodged the first. I feel Bush can get away with this by using bluster and emotion. This at least leaves an impression that he's outraged.

Closing thoughts...

I think the next debate should be a steel cage match.

I think Tim Russert is about as balanced a commentator as you'll get.

What is that hemorroidal growth on John Edwards upper lip?

Tom Brokaw looked like he was ready to bust a nut trying not to laugh when going over some of the sound bytes.

Dems, spin it al you want, but C-SPAN followed one of the dem advisors (can't remember who) who said to another advisor that it was a draw. 5 minutes later, he said it was a win for Kerry.

I guess perhaps they werent closed but when they don't stop there and you cannot get in or out, what would you call it?  :)

52222[/snapback]

What I wouldn't call it is what Kerry called it.

"The president hasn't put one nickel, not one nickel, into the effort to fix some of our tunnel and bridges and most exposed subway systems. That's why they had to close down the subway in New York when the Republican convention was there."

The subways ran in NY during the convention. Some entrances inside the Garden's perimeter were closed. This does not constitute shutting down the subway. Bush has also spent $92 billion on birdge and highway repair and another $19 billion for mass transit.

This is the kind of stuff that is going to KILL Kerry.

You should use the same talking points you use here. That's bound to be effective.

I do, and they are. Many people are unhappy with the direction our country has taken, and they just need to know more about what Kerry will do to change that direction. I'm always happy to enlighten them.

I guess perhaps they werent closed but when they don't stop there and you cannot get in or out, what would you call it

I would say that a station was closed, not "the subways". If they closed off an exit on the 190 because there was a parade in downtown buffalo would you say "they shut down the highway"?

It had nothing to do with Bush and the budget or anything they did, it was purely related to logistics.