I'm curious, since we had Whitner rated so high

if Huff had been on the board at #8.  My initial guess is to say no but Whitner claims Buffalo told him they would take him if D'Brickashaw was off the board.  We would have been second guessed even more if this would have happened.

681240[/snapback]

Good chance Arizona would have traded up to get the last QB- since the only way Huff falls is if Leinart goes in top 7.

Bills would have then gotten one of the 2.

if Huff had been on the board at #8.  My initial guess is to say no but Whitner claims Buffalo told him they would take him if D'Brickashaw was off the board.  We would have been second guessed even more if this would have happened.

681240[/snapback]

Levy and OSU coach Jim Tressel had a conversation a while back. I can't recall the quote in the n'paper here (re-printed a couple of days ago), but the gist was that Tressel mentioned to Marv that he would be happy to see Whitner or Hawk get "employment"... :P

Bill from NYC had it right in a prediction thread a day or so before the draft. He said Huff, but his feeling that it would be a safety was spot on.

That's what I tend to believe as well.  This board would have gone crazy, even more than it did, because a lot of the fans wanted Huff.

681263[/snapback]

Whitner was highest rated safety on the Bills board. And yes- this board would of gone even crazier if Huff was still on the board and we took Whitner

Marv said last week that "they guy we kind of like...should be there about 4 spots later," and since Huff was a top-10 pick, that means he was talking about Whitner. And the Bills brought in several players, including Huff, but NOT Whitner, which makes me think they did that so as to not tip their hand.

Marv said last week that "they guy we kind of like...should be there about 4 spots later," and since Huff was a top-10 pick, that means he was talking about Whitner.  And the Bills brought in several players, including Huff, but NOT Whitner, which makes me think they did that so as to not tip their hand.

681268[/snapback]

Yes, Whitner was their man. If Huff was available, they would've traded down knowing that Huff would be the first safety taken and Whitner would still be available later on. But since Huff was already taken, they couldn't trade down and take the risk.

Whitner was highest rated safety on the Bills board.  And yes- this board would of gone even crazier if Huff was still on the board and we took Whitner

681264[/snapback]

Would have been the craziest though if the Bills took Whitner over Hawk.

It'll be interesting to compare Huff's and Whitner's seasons and careers as they progress. From what I've seen, their measureables are similar, in terms of size, speed and strengh. The excess attention Huff was getting over Whitner was just that: excess attention generated by the media. the sports media, like the rest of the media, develops a pack mentality where they all cover the same stories and the same players. It makes their jobs easier then having to do any independent research to see how good other players are. My bet is that Whitner's gym rat mentality combined with his sheer talent will make him the better pro player.

It'll be interesting to compare Huff's and Whitner's seasons and careers as they progress. From what I've seen, their measureables are similar, in terms of size, speed and strengh. The excess attention Huff was getting over Whitner was just that: excess attention generated by the media. the sports media, like the rest of the media, develops a pack mentality where they all cover the same stories and the same players. It makes  their jobs easier then having to do any independent research to see how good other players are. My bet is that Whitner's gym rat mentality combined with his sheer talent will make him the better pro player.

681365[/snapback]

noty to mention he is the far better tackler

Substance over style points

Yes,  Whitner was their man.  If Huff was available, they would've traded down knowing that Huff would be the first safety taken and Whitner would still be available later on.  But since Huff was already taken, they couldn't trade down and take the risk.

681304[/snapback]

That is my feeling as well......they were planning on trading down all along but the raiders screwed up their draft by taking Huff.....

They figured they would be able to have the luxery of still getting their guy and trading down...but that went away so they just picked him....

By the way....I equiviquate this to the drafting of Lee Evans when we did rather then trying to trade down and get him in a that draft year.

I agree - especially w/ the comments Marv was allegedly making before the draft something to the effect that they guy they wanted would be available later in the round(?). I think they were expecting that Huff would be there, they would trade down and Detroit would take Huff, leaving Whitner avail to them a few spots later. When Oakland screwed that up they just went ahead and took Whitner, regardless of 'value' - since he was the guy they wanted and they thought Detroit would take him if they traded down.

whitner is a harder hitter and a much better tackler. everyone who plays for OSU can tackle, even the QBs!

I think our brain trust see him knocking heads off and hawking balls in the middle, essentially doing what roy williams/sean taylor/troy in pitts do.

kind of how basketball playing tight ends are all the rage, i think our guys want to be ahead of the modern safety trend