Draft "Experts" - Their Blunders = Steals

Ahhh..... the one way street of self righteousness where non-football people are NEVER wrong but Teams are wrong more often than not.

I noticed many players some of these " Experts " had going early in the draft fell to Day 2 or literally off the radar. So when they are finally picked, these players are not "overrated" at all...they are " Steals " . Ahhh....I see. They, the "experts", couldn't be wrong. Impossible.

But when these non-football geniuses project a guy to be picked in a certain slot in various rounds and he winds up going higher, then he's a "Reach"...because these idiots...er..."experts" are NEVER wrong.

Then the final grades roll in - The teams that picked the guys where the "experts" slotted them and made them look good receive an A. The teams that sought players that could help them win and ignored the " experts " rankings, relying on actual film and scouting instead, received no higher than a B- or even a D.

And the Lemmings usually side with the "experts", too lazy to do their own research and usually haven't seen any of these players actually play a game.

Got it.

Queue the Bowie music. " We can be hero's...just for one day ! " :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh..... the one way street of self righteousness where non-football people are NEVER wrong but Teams are wrong more often than not. 

I noticed many players some of these " Experts "  had going early in the draft fell to Day 2 or literally off the radar. So when they are finally picked, these players are not "overrated" at all...they are " Steals " . Ahhh....I see. They, the "experts", couldn't be wrong. Impossible.

But when these non-football geniuses project a guy to be picked in a certain slot in various rounds and he winds up going higher, then he's a "Reach"...because these idots...er..."experts" are NEVER wrong.

Then the final grades roll in - The teams that picked the guys where the "experts" slotted them and made them look good receive an A. The teams that sought players that could help them win and ignored the " experts " rankings, relying on actual film and scouting instead, received no higher than a B- or even a D.

And the Lemmings usually side with the "experts", too lazy to do their own research and usually haven't seen any of these players actually play a game.

Got it.

Queue the Bowie music.  " We can be hero's...just for one day ! "  :)

679671[/snapback]

This is a great post. Dead on.

I noticed many players some of these " Experts "  had going early in the draft fell to Day 2 or literally off the radar. So when they are finally picked, these players are not "overrated" at all...they are " Steals " . Ahhh....I see. They, the "experts", couldn't be wrong. Impossible.

But when these non-football geniuses project a guy to be picked in a certain slot in various rounds and he winds up going higher, then he's a "Reach"...because these idots...er..."experts" are NEVER wrong.

Got it.

679671[/snapback]

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got it.

679671[/snapback]

That is far too insightful for this place. What, have you been drinking again this morning?

Guest BackInDaDay

679671[/snapback]

Damn, now your posts come with soundtracks! :)

Dead on 'bout the spin-meisters who can't let a little thing like credibility cloud their judgement. Unfortunately, the sound-bite crowd takes this crap as the gospel.

Damn, now your posts come with soundtracks!  :)

Dead on 'bout the spin-meisters who can't let a little thing like credibility cloud their judgement.  Unfortunately, the sound-bite crowd takes this crap as the gospel.

679727[/snapback]

Visit PPP more. It will build a pretty thick skin to that kind of behavior.

Got it.

679671[/snapback]

I do agree with what you're saying overall, but I also think that some of these so-called non-football people are more intelligent and watch more film than many teams do.

There are many situations in which they are wrong, but there are also situations in which teams are drafting for need, and other teams simply just don't like a guy, so he falls. I think Matt Leinart is a perfect example of this, falling all the way to #10 from what would have been the first overall pick last year.

So while I think you make some valid arguments, I don't think its applicable all of the time.

Also, one part of being a fan is rooting for your team to make good decisions, and then living or dying by them. :) We like to have some way to judge a team's draft, as its fun to do so, and as crappy a system as we have relying on the "experts", its the best one we've got.

But when these non-football geniuses project a guy to be picked in a certain slot in various rounds and he winds up going higher, then he's a "Reach"...because these idiots...er..."experts" are NEVER wrong.

Got it.

679671[/snapback]

I'd respond to to this post, but Mel Kiper hasn't analyzed it for me yet...

I'd respond to to this post, but Mel Kiper hasn't analyzed it for me yet...

679738[/snapback]

This thread is not exactly what Kiper predicted it would be and nowhere near what Clayton predicted it would be, so Kiper grades it a B and Clayton gives it a D.

I give it an A. It's got a good beat and it's easy to dance to.

Mark, Actually well thought out, insightful and spot on. So, Where did you lift this material from, I know St Joes is good, but not that good, Is you wife using your member name?

Good points, all of them.

I do agree with what you're saying overall, but I also think that some of these so-called non-football people are more intelligent and watch more film than many teams do.

There are many situations in which they are wrong, but there are also situations in which teams are drafting for need, and other teams simply just don't like a guy, so he falls.  I think Matt Leinart is a perfect example of this, falling all the way to #10 from what would have been the first overall pick last year.

So while I think you make some valid arguments, I don't think its applicable all of the time. 

Also, one part of being a fan is rooting for your team to make good decisions, and then living or dying by them.  :) We like to have some way to judge a team's draft, as its fun to do so, and as crappy a system as we have relying on the "experts", its the best one we've got.

679731[/snapback]

It also depends on what teams really believe they need. Was their any team in the top 10 that REALLY needed a QB besides Tenessee? Its exactly what happened to Rodgers last year. Doesn't mean he won't be a decent QB, just that no one really needed a rookie QB next year.

Houston wants to stay with Carr (given an o-line he may be good)

NO just spent a ton of cash on Brees

Tenn took Vince Young (atleast you can believe the Bills had him on the top of their board and IF he was available at 8 he would have been a Bill! LOL)

NYJ seem to be ready to go next year with Ramsey or Pennington (could have used a QB but not a high priority to them)

GB still has Favre and Rodgers

SF just took Smit last year

Oak will never draft a QB (my personal opinion)

Buffalo has Nall and Losman and they seem to be happy with them

I don't think it was a knock on Leinarts playing ability, just team needs for the top 8 teams.

Mark,  Actually well thought out, insightful and spot on. So, Where did you lift this material from, I know St Joes is good, but not that good, Is you wife using your member name?

Good points, all of them.

679784[/snapback]

This was the general tone of the Howard Simon show today....

A good example is Len Pasquerelli's column today. He praises Pittsburgh for trading up for Holmes and possibly giving up too much for someone they covet but bangs on Buffalo for takin Whitner as the "reach" of the draft. Bills are bad for taking someone they covet instead of trading down and risk losing him while Pittsburgh is good for giving up too much for someone they wanted. Gotta love the talking heads.

The magazine that I picked up for the player profiles did a 2 round mock and DIDN'T GET A SINGLE SELECTION CORRECT!

Granted the newstand magazines are a bit more dated than the online mocks, but it still speaks volumes.

It also depends on what teams really believe they need. Was their any team in the top 10 that REALLY needed a QB besides Tenessee? Its exactly what happened to Rodgers last year. Doesn't mean he won't be a decent QB, just that no one really needed a rookie QB next year.

Houston wants to stay with Carr (given an o-line he may be good)

NO just spent a ton of cash on Brees

Tenn took Vince Young (atleast you can believe the Bills had him on the top of their board and IF he was available at 8 he would have been a Bill! LOL)

NYJ seem to be ready to go next year with Ramsey or Pennington (could have used a QB but not a high priority to them)

GB still has Favre and Rodgers

SF just took Smit last year

Oak will never draft a QB (my personal opinion)

Buffalo has Nall and Losman and they seem to be happy with them

I don't think it was a knock on Leinarts playing ability, just team needs for the top 8 teams.

679794[/snapback]

so why weren't all the teams desperate for a QB knocking themselves out to trade into the top 10 to draft him?

Denver was willing to move up, but to draft Cutler- not Leinart.

The answer is that the NFL scouts had Leinart rated considerably lower than the media experts. Bills had him as a 2nd rounder.

A good example is Len Pasquerelli's column today.  He praises Pittsburgh for trading up for Holmes and possibly giving up too much for someone they covet but bangs on Buffalo for takin Whitner as the "reach" of the draft.  Bills are bad for taking someone they covet instead of trading down and risk losing him while Pittsburgh is good for giving up too much for someone they wanted.  Gotta love the talking heads.

679871[/snapback]

With all due respect to your august opinion, the Steelers have been FAR more successful in the draft than the Bills have, going all the way back to the Bills' inception.

I think they get a mulligan or two.

Nice read. Best draft analysis I've seen yet. It's also the reason why I watched a grand total of about 5 minutes of ESPN's draft coverage.

4 of the Bills' first 5 picks addressed a glaring weakness -- the middle of the defense -- and they've been roundly criticized by the know-it-alls. Fug 'em.