JP Losman haters will agree with GBN

http://www.gbnreport.com/2006teampreviews.html

I wish for the umpteenth time that I had kept my tapes of all of JP's starts (I only keep wins)

but I continue to be befuddled by the incredibly negative, "he's a definite bust" conclusion of both "experts" and fans alike of JP's skills (or lack thereof).

I have already stated my view - that he is young, had little or no time to throw, and still managed to perform (IMO). Moulds , again IMO, gave up on him and this meant a player barely trying in a key position for every pass play.

I am thrilled, however, that it appears that a legitimate battle for the starting role will take place this summer. AN d I contineu to reiterate this: If Holcomb wins the battle, the Bills will lose big time.

I am not saying that the other two QB's should be given the job. On the contrary, I am saying if Holcomb is the best of the three, we are screwed. Kelly is an adeqaute backup..period. In fact, I would be thrilled in Kelly ends up at #3.

As to the GBN evaluation of the draft...no, I (opinion again folks) DO NOT think the Bills will use a high draft pick (or any of their picks in fact) on a QB. linemen linemen linemen Puleeze.

Go Bills!

-RichNJoisy

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time will tell I guess....both with JP & the draft(soon :) )

I cannot invisage the Bills going with Holcomb. All the moves point to speed. If our QB ever gets time to throw, he will need a strong arm...

Also, why start an old QB who will never be good enough?

In the process of transferring some of the early season games to DVD, I looked at the replays in 20/20 hindsight. My verdict - this was a much better team than 6-10. Even after Spikes was gone, the D played well enough to keep them in the game.

However, the offense could not do its job. To me, it was the combination, in order, big Mike getting hurt and Jerman subbing in (before Peters got there) and Losman not being able to handle the job. Some may switch the two. I view them as interchangeable. You may also throw in Clements' playcalling that threw Losman to the wolves. But, when you objectively look at the replays and focus on the defensive alignments, you may note that TC or MM had little choice but to have Losman pass more. When you factor in 8-man fronts, McGahee's laziness, and an injured right side of the line, the stage was set for Losman to fail. He largely did, early on.

I haven't reviewed the 2nd half of the season yet.

In the process of transferring some of the early season games to DVD, I looked at the replays in 20/20 hindsight.  My verdict - this was a much better team than 6-10.  Even after Spikes was gone, the D played well enough to keep them in the game. 

However, the offense could not do its job.  To me, it was the combination, in order, big Mike getting hurt and Jerman subbing in (before Peters got there) and Losman not being able to handle the job.  Some may switch the two.  I view them as interchangeable.  You may also throw in Clements' playcalling that threw Losman to the wolves.  But, when you objectively look at the replays and focus on the defensive alignments, you may note that TC or MM had little choice but to have Losman pass more.  When you factor in 8-man fronts, McGahee's laziness, and an injured right side of the line, the stage was set for Losman to fail.  He largely did, early on.

668713[/snapback]

Thanks - Your comments suggest strongly that, even when given time to throw, JP threw poorly? Or, is it more accurate to say that since JP could not read defenses quickly enough, blitzes killed him? I don't recall a lot of blitzes myself, I recall normal rushes and no time to throw. If true, there is no hot read. Only during blitzes are they in order.

Please post your assessment of the 2nd half of the season when you can - if you remember, pm me to let me know your thread is out there

thanx

-RnJ

I am not a big JP supporter or a hater for that matter. I liked somethings he did like if there is no open target he would tuck it and gain 4-5 yards instead of a 7 yard loss i.e. Bledsoe. But he telegraphs his passes and doesnt go to his secondary WR or even 3rd, this will come in time and repetitions but I know alot of peole are not willing to give this kid another shot, but I think he deserves a little more time to develop. If he doesnt show some flashes cut your losses and move on. Remember we did give up alot for this guy. The major thing that I keep hearing from the board is that he alienates his teammates. Can anyone give me a true example of this. If so then he will not succeed on any team for that matter.

However, the offense could not do its job.  To me, it was the combination, in order, big Mike getting hurt and Jerman subbing in (before Peters got there) and Losman not being able to handle the job.  Some may switch the two.  I view them as interchangeable.  You may also throw in Clements' playcalling that threw Losman to the wolves.  But, when you objectively look at the replays and focus on the defensive alignments, you may note that TC or MM had little choice but to have Losman pass more.  When you factor in 8-man fronts, McGahee's laziness, and an injured right side of the line, the stage was set for Losman to fail.  He largely did, early on.

668713[/snapback]

The injury to Mike Williams hurt this offense more than most realized as while he was much maligned and underachieved when healthey he was a dominant run blocker and after he went down so did our running game as McGahee productions dropped signifacantly. In the beginning of the season Peters was the designated backup LT and Jerman was the RT; once both MW and German were injured Peters was the only option. He came in and at least solidified the right side of the OL from a pass blocking standpoint. His run blocking is a step down from MW.

Also the offensive coaching and gameplan was just horrible anyway for they never showed the ability to adjust and were predictable, mainly based on personell packages.

I also hate when outsiders report on the our strengths and weaknesses. Now I know a lot of people on this board want to bash Gandy but he was not the revolving door like this guy made him out to be. In fact our biggest weakness is between the tackles. And how can anyone label JP a bust after 8 games? Is Alex Smith a bust as he played worse in 16 games! I hope Fairchild can call a decent game for then we can make all such people, even some on this board eat their words for the biggest problem with this team until last year was not so much talent but coaching and while most would bash Donahoe his biggest mistake was made by not hiring experience head coaches. This year with injury recoveries a key additions to the OL and DL this team can recover and at least make some noise!

It seems from quickly reading this article they do not know much about the team.

668741[/snapback]

Exactly; while some of this article is creditable most of it is garbage second hand material from a guy who doesn not follow the team.

I hope Fairchild can call a decent game for then we can make all such people, even some on this board eat their words for the biggest problem with this team until last year was not so much talent but coaching and while most would bash Donahoe his biggest mistake was made by not hiring experience head coaches. This year with injury recoveries a key additions to the OL and DL this team can recover and at least make some noise!

668751[/snapback]

It seems to me that this is the major opinion difference on TBD.

Those that agree see things in a more optimistic light since they see that we have talent & upside that wasn't utilized properly last year.

Those that disagree are obviously pessimistic about this season since they see it was not so much the coaching, but the players abilities.

I am of the optimistic slant. :)

It seems to me that this is the major opinion difference on TBD. 

Those that agree see things in a more optimistic light since they see that we have talent & upside that wasn't utilized properly last year.

Those that disagree are obviously pessimistic about this season since they see it was not so much the coaching, but the players abilities.

I am of the optimistic slant.  :)

668765[/snapback]

that certainly nails it Dibs

For those that have a very negative view of the upcoming season (I judge those to be the 6 wins or less crowd), I ask you "how many wins did you expect the Bils to win last year?". if the number is the same as this year, then kudos to you - you were a lot smarter than I. Of course, injuries played into last year's outcome. In fact, for me, what really URKED me last season was the benching of JP - I am so upset that the Bills went 5-11 and the guy played for so few games. I know he was hurt for some of them but he should have played more - especially week 17.

I expected about 10-11 wins last year. The defense crashing from top five to bottom five was totally unexpected. Can they recover? I am pretty certain that they can return to top 10 if TKO comes back and the Tripplet - ??? duo can stop the bleeding up the middle.

On offense, in my mind it comes down to two things :

1.) Can the line give the Bills QB sat least > 3.5 seconds on a regular basis?

2.) Can Nall/Losman complete 55% + of their passes? - notice I exclude Holcomb from this equation because Holcomb as QB = top five draft pick next year IMO.

My dream draft saturday is somehow DaBrick falls to 8 (forgetaboutit) After that, I am alright with Bunk-Ngata-Huff-Davis (whatever) but in rounds 2 -3 - 3 I want to see offensive/defensive linemen galore drafted. If I see CB's S's, RB and LB's I will throw up. BTW - I am o.k. wit h AJ if he falls to us at 8 (nevagonnahappin either)

-RnJ

If every NFL QB who had a poor 1st Year as a Starter was a Bust there would be a lot more space in the HOF...

There is no way JP can be called a Bust at this point...Where was Brett Favre after his 2nd Year as a Pro? Not saying JP is another Favre, but you get the point...

Lets see what this New Coaching Staff can get out of JP in 2006, then maybe we will have a clearer picture. One thing I know for certain...If the Bills cannot build a consistant Run Game, JP will likely struggle once again next Season...

But we'll see...

In the process of transferring some of the early season games to DVD, I looked at the replays in 20/20 hindsight.  My verdict - this was a much better team than 6-10.  Even after Spikes was gone, the D played well enough to keep them in the game. 

668713[/snapback]

That sounds about right. Nobody is saying that Losman was great. He had problems, but nothing unexpected from a first-year starter playing behind a poor line. Will he become a good NFL QB? We don't know. But to declare him a bust already is crazy talk.

PTR

But to declare him a bust already is crazy talk.

668777[/snapback]

Wow, that means there is a lot of crazies on TBD. ;)

.....not me though.....I don't think he's a bust B-)

.....yet :)

Go JP(or equivalent starting QB) :(

My verdict - this was a much better team than 6-10.  Even after Spikes was gone, the D played well enough to keep them in the game. 

However, the offense could not do its job. 

668713[/snapback]

Disagree....The D played too soft.....Look at how the opponents ran over us...

We couldn't stop the run....How can you say the D played well to keep us in

the games.....

In my opinion, the D failed to keep its promise....It did not shorten the field

and protect a young QB.

Disagree....The D played too soft.....Look at how the opponents ran over us...

We couldn't stop the run....How can you say the D played well to keep us in

the games.....

In my opinion, the D failed to keep its promise....It did not shorten the field

and protect a young QB.

668797[/snapback]

I agree. They didn't provide a whole lot of satisfaction of being valiant in defeat. I lived in PGH when they had some poor teams - but my impression was they always showed up and hit, even in the losses. A philosophy.

That is my chief criticsm of DB - that hang-dog attitude. He should have bashed Gilbride in the puss, flung his helmet, and left the field and kicked the bejeezus out of a locker - several times.

668713[/snapback]

This is not the first criticism of the play calling of Clements that I have read here.

Just to play Devil's advocate: What are the chances that Clements knew JP Losman wasn't going to be ready and was not onboard with the higher-ups decision to throw Bledsoe away and give the job to Losman? I'd give it a pretty good chance, myself. So what you may have been observing is an assistant coach sticking it in the eye of his head coach and GM. It would also go a long way towards explaining why Mularkey took play-calling duties away from Clements.

On the other hand, I also find it impossible to believe that Mularkey did not know the gameplans going in to those early games. He implicitly signed off on them regardless.

Thanks - Your comments suggest strongly that, even when given time to throw, JP threw poorly? Or, is it more accurate to say that since JP could not read defenses quickly enough, blitzes killed him? I don't recall a lot of blitzes myself, I recall normal rushes and no time to throw. If true, there is no hot read. Only during blitzes are they in order.

Please post your assessment of the 2nd half of the season when you can - if you remember, pm me to  let me know your thread is out there

thanx

-RnJ

668730[/snapback]

My memory is that JP had more time to throw than some are suggesting, he was just woefully inaccurate...he did improve a lot in his second stint as the starter. I think part of it was nerves, and part was mechanics. I remember him saying after his firts few starts, something to the effect of, "the ball was just flying out of my hands" like he was uncomfortable throwing. A bad O-line is no friend of a QB, but a bad QB doesn't help the O-line much either.

I think Losman showed some improvement late in the season. That is encouraging. His decision making improved dramatically, but his accuracy was still a little suspect. I just think he was much more raw and underdeveloped than TD was hoping he was...