JP Losman haters will agree with GBN

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the process of transferring some of the early season games to DVD, I looked at the replays in 20/20 hindsight.  My verdict - this was a much better team than 6-10.  Even after Spikes was gone, the D played well enough to keep them in the game. 

668713[/snapback]

While my opinions are admittedly not based upon film review, I thought our defense was cover-your-eyes awful last season. It seemed that if a team decided to pass on us, then we couldn't stop the pass. If a team wanted to run us, well, we couldn't stop the run either. It seemed like the exact opposite of "pick your poison." I think no lead was safe with last year's defensive crew. If a team needed to run out the clock on us, that defense couldn't get off the field. If we need to hold a lead, we rarely could stop them.

To me, its no surprise that a defensive-minded coach came in here and immediately used three draft picks on the defensive unit...

JDG

While my opinions are admittedly not based upon film review, I thought our defense was cover-your-eyes awful last season.  It seemed that if a team decided to pass on us, then we couldn't stop the pass.  If a team wanted to run us, well, we couldn't stop the run either.  It seemed like the exact opposite of "pick your poison."  I think no lead was safe with last year's defensive crew.  If a team needed to run out the clock on us, that defense couldn't get off the field.  If we need to hold a lead, we rarely could stop them.

To me, its no surprise that a defensive-minded coach came in here and immediately used three draft picks on the defensive unit...

JDG

677175[/snapback]

1st and 2nd down they were overall OK. Whenever there was a third and forever, you just KNEW the other team would get it. I was more surprised whenever they didn't.

hey Buftex - who are these JP-fanboys you speak of?

Given what JP has accomplished so far (little) I must have missed that.

You must not come around here much... ;-)

What I (and I assume PTR and other of my ilk :)  ) are saying is that that JP has been condemned by (IMO) a large number of Bills fans and outside "experts" which I cannot fathom based on my observation (40 years same as you) of first year QB's.

One problem - JP Losman is a second-year QB. In fact, he got more playing time as a rookie as some highly drafted and healthy first-year QBs.

Now, I admit I have not reviewed each of JP's games as some of you have and it is very possible I missed the consistent inaccuracy some posters have claimed, but I do recall little or no time to throw, no rungame to speak of, and playing from behind a lot.

The problem of course, is that Kelly Holcomb went onto the field with the same exact players and the same exact coaches and was twice as good as him.... Kelly Holcomb!

JDG

The JP winning the QB competition is really a foolish kind of thing, and one of the reasons I don't have huge trust in Marv and Jauron. The ONLY, ONLY, ONLY way to have any reasonable idea on whether or not JP Losman is the franchise quarterback for the Bills is to put him under center in the regular season games and let him play for awhile. The only way. Only way. Is there another way? No.

672783[/snapback]

Yes. Unless, of course, you wish to argue that the jury is still out on the likes of Cade McNown and David Klingler....

JDG

No. McNown and klinger played in a bunch of games and proved to be terrible. Not the case with Losman at all.

677199[/snapback]

Well, Losman is over half-way to matching McNown's career starts total.

I'll admit that Losman is less than half-way to matching Klingler's start total, but Losman is also only a game or two behind matching Andre Ware.

So, the question is - was Andre Ware improperly judged?

JDG

JP with the new speed recievers could be the key. He can throw the long ball very well, and with 4 quick fast recievers one should get open and stetch the D. With 4 corners in on coverage and 2 safties deep...that will leave Willis with 6 men in the box and automatic holes to run through. Draws....quick hits.....screens.....and bombs. Keep the D honest with the deep ball theat.

JP with the new speed recievers could be the key.  He can throw the long ball very well, and with 4 quick fast recievers one should get open and stetch the D.  With 4 corners in on coverage and 2 safties deep...that will leave Willis with 6 men in the box and automatic holes to run through.  Draws....quick hits.....screens.....and bombs.  Keep the D honest with the deep ball theat.

677252[/snapback]

If Losman played all 16 games you could evaluate him. Otherwise you can't.

I know that I will never be able to convince the non JPL believers on this....but I just find it hard to beleive that he could show flases of brilliance in what was in essence his FIRST year because of the leg injury and instead they choose to focus on rookie mistakes as being a sign of a bust....

Rookie-inexperienced players are SUPPOSED to make rookie mistakes....but the potential is shown in the spurts of brilliance (3 touchdowns in a quarter?)

The plan for last year was convoluted....the defense was supposed to be rock solid and allow us to pound the ball and take the pressure off of a young QB.....that plan was thrown in the fire place when that did not happen.....

I know that I will never be able to convince the non JPL believers on this....but I just find it hard to beleive that he could show flases of brilliance in what was in essence his FIRST year because of the leg injury and instead they choose to focus on rookie mistakes as being a sign of a bust....

Rookie-inexperienced players are SUPPOSED to make rookie mistakes....but the potential is shown in the spurts of brilliance (3 touchdowns in a quarter?)

The plan for last year was convoluted....the defense was supposed to be rock solid and allow us to pound the ball and take the pressure off of a young QB.....that plan was thrown in the fire place when that did not happen.....

677334[/snapback]

Great theory John. The only problem is - JP Losman WAS NOT A ROOKIE!

In fact, JP Losman threw more passes as a rookie than either Carson Palmer or Daunte Culpepper. He also had more game appearances than Drew Brees.

The truth of the matter is that JP Losman was a second-year player, and his performance last year is particularly disconcerting for that reason.

JDG

Great theory John.  The only problem is - JP Losman WAS NOT A ROOKIE!

In fact, JP Losman threw more passes as a rookie than either Carson Palmer or Daunte Culpepper.    He also had more game appearances than Drew Brees. 

The truth of the matter is that JP Losman was a second-year player, and his performance last year is particularly disconcerting for that reason.

JDG

678770[/snapback]

So, if I understand you correctly, Eli Manning is a bust? Then so would Troy Aikman, Payton Manning be considered busts? All three had just as bad first 7 games as JP has had. JP was in his second year, but he was basicly a rookie. He did not get to play much due to his injury.

On that team, with that play calling, not to many second year QB's with less than a dozen starts would have done better.

Give him a chance.

So, if I understand you correctly, Eli Manning is a bust? Then so would Troy Aikman, Payton Manning be considered busts? All three had just as bad first 7 games as JP has had. JP was in his second year, but he was basicly a rookie. He did not get to play much due to his injury.

On that team, with that play calling, not to many second year QB's with less than a dozen starts would have done better.

Give him a chance.

678778[/snapback]

He had a year on the team studying the system, film, and game plans; some suiting up, and even some limited action. This was followed by an entire off-season in which he prepared as the number man guy and with #1 reps. No, he was *not* basically a rookie. A rookie doesn't have that kind of preparation.

I'm not writing JP off, but I'm getting very nervous about the apologies for him, because under their arguments you can never really get closure on a guy. It's just possible that a coach can watch a player and see things that we fans don't, especially if - God forbid - he watches him in practice. If you believe half the posters on this board, coaches can't evaluate anybody untill they've seen them in at least 20 games!

This is particularly ironic on draft weekend :lol: