How Long Are You Willing to Wait

Just wondering what the mood is here in terms of willingness to wait to be a playoff contender again.

I see many people recognizing that 2006 will be a rebuilding year and that the playoffs, and perhaps even a .500 season, will likely be out of reach.

By the same token, I see many people say, either expressly or implied, that the Bills will be over their rebuilding after next season.

So I ask, do you really think the Bills will be in a position to be a playoff team in 2007? What if they aren't? What's your ability to continue to see the Bills not make the playoffs?

Edit: By "ability to continue to see the Bills not make the playoffs" I mean "ability not to start bitching and calling for major changes" - the ability to sit back and live with the situation quietly.

Edited by The Avenger

First of all, i'm not in a position to wait. I'm a bills fan if they go 0-16, 8-8, or 16-0. I'll wait forever. However, i'll be pleasantly suprised if they can at least get to 0.500 and/or make progress on the field. I can't grade the free agency period yet because its not over, and the draft piece is missing from the offseason puzzle. Marv's moves, while not spectacular or flashy, might be excellent moves if they pick up some decent linemen in the draft.

With that said, there's no talent gap between the teams in the nfl. It's all about coaching, support, heart, and drive. I think that the bills have made changes to address those concerns, and the changes are for the positive. We still have 3 months till football, however, i've seen nothing that i've been dissapointed in yet. levy > td, jauron > mularkey/gray... its all good in the hood, till i'm proven wrong.

This is a tough question to answer. I USUALLY would expect contending within three years, but I have such low expectations for this regime, I pretty much already expect them to fail and for everything to be blown up again in five years. Then, if the regime that replaces them is competent, I would go back to my expectation of contending within three years. Therefore, 8 years, to answer your question.

contender for what?

to break .500?

to make the playoffs?

to win the AFC east?

to win a playoff game?

to get to the SB?

to win the SB?

664739[/snapback]

By contender I'd say make the playoffs - be one of the better teams in the conference. I'm not saying win the AFC East because much of that is beyond our control - how strong the other teams are.

I think there are two things to consider: how long before they should be able to make the playoffs, and how long before they can establish a consistent winner. I think we should be able to make the playoffs by next year with all the right moves. But I don't think this team will be a consistent winner, with a chance of winning it all, for at least 3 years.

Just wondering what the mood is here in terms of willingness to wait to be a playoff contender again.

I see many people recognizing that 2006 will be a rebuilding year and that the playoffs, and perhaps even a .500 season, will likely be out of reach.

By the same token, I see many people say, either expressly or implied, that the Bills will be over their rebuilding after next season.

So I ask, do you really think the Bills will be in a position to be a playoff team in 2007? What if they aren't? What's your ability to continue to see the Bills not make the playoffs?

Edit: By "ability to continue to see the Bills not make the playoffs" I mean "ability not to start bitching and calling for major changes" - the ability to sit back and live with the situation quietly.

664672[/snapback]

I think that if the Bills Management changes course and drafts talented linemen this month, they will be able to make a decent run in 07, especially when one considers the cap space we will have.

Truthfully, 08 is probably a better guess as far as when the Bills could make a serious move.

Willing to wait?, or going to wait?.....cuz those are two very different answers.  <_<

664798[/snapback]

Agreed. I'm more interested in knowing when the Bills fans turn into the Detroit Lions fans and revolt for lack of fielding a good team. It's not going to happen this year because we have Marv and a new coach and most see 2006 as a rebuilding year. I'm wondering if all hell breaks loose in 2007 if we are still rebuilding or if the fan base has more patience to go even farther into the future...

2007 better be a playoff year, or else!

Or else what?  Not much really, I'll just get to bitching over and over and over and over.

664679[/snapback]

Right, or else Levy and Jauron get fired and Wilson hires another stiff that scrapes off the urinal cake for another coach and repeat this exercise again as everyone keeps defending Wilson just because he wants to keep a horrible team around to string everyone out on.

But hey, the sheep will keep coming to the trough like trained mules.

Right, or else Levy and Jauron get fired and Wilson hires another stiff that scrapes off the urinal cake for another coach and repeat this exercise again as everyone keeps defending Wilson just because he wants to keep a horrible team around to string everyone out on. 

But hey, the sheep will keep coming to the trough like trained mules.

664929[/snapback]

Sheep? Hardly, but, being a fan is not a logical relationship. I'm not a fan of Ralph, but I do respect what he has done, I'm a fan of the Buffalo Bills. If that's being a sheep then so be it. Feel free to jump ship whenever you like.

664672[/snapback]

Actually, I think Ralph's next move after Marv, would be to remove himself from the equation. That I also think would be bad. We WANT Ralph to be involved. The more he is, the better off Buffalo is. And I mean us - is Buffalo.