Is it worth it to trade Clements

After reading the article on the front page I'm not sure if I want to trade Nate.

If he's gonna be a malcontent then I say lets get rid of him. A late first in this years draft can get us a good player but what would we do at corner?

Any thoughts?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would love to trade him. he got toasted constantly last year. I think he's way overrated. Sure, he makes big plays here and there, but he lets up more big plays than he makes.

the only problem is one that you've already brought up. What would we do at corner? We have Mcgee, but who's number 2? Is Ty Law still available?

Teams looking for secondary help in this draft are the Dolphins (hell no), the Chargers (possible) , Kansas City (Possible) are only round one options, possible 2nd round teams would be Green Bay, Arizona or Detroit.

The good of a trade - Saving on cap, adding high round pick

The bad of a trade - Need to allocate a high pick for a CB, talent level drop-off

Much prefer to sign Nate to a long-term contract

After reading the article on the front page I'm not sure if I want to trade Nate.

If he's gonna be a malcontent then I say lets get rid of him.  A late first in this years draft can get us a good player but what would we do at corner?

Any thoughts?

661044[/snapback]

Don't read too much into his holdout. By the middle of camp, he'll show up and sign the deal--just like every franchised player. Getting franchised means having a good excuse to miss a lot of this off-season stuff.

That said, if someone offered a mid-first round pick (12-18) and another pick, I would take it.

hes worth a mid to late first round draft pick. but we should not trade him.

they say stockpile picks... WHY? drop a probowl caliber player to gain one college player who may or may not be a bum. Nate is proven. hes a solid #1 CB. Hes one of the best defensive players we have. can that late 1st rounder or 2nd rounder say the same? no.

if we trade nate we will need to replace him with someone. i dotn care what anyone says about McGee, he isnt a #1 CB. name a FA CB that can be our #1 guy for the next 2-3 years? how much would that guy be paid?

signing nate to a long term deal is whats best. we cant make him the #1 paid CB in the nfl, but i would be ok with #5.

Teams looking for secondary help in this draft are the Dolphins (hell no), the Chargers (possible) , Kansas City (Possible)  are only round one options, possible 2nd round teams would be Green Bay, Arizona or Detroit.

The good of a trade - Saving on cap, adding high round pick

The bad of a trade - Need to allocate a high pick for a CB, talent level drop-off

Much prefer to sign Nate to a long-term contract

661064[/snapback]

Well said.

I just had a flashback to a certain 4th and forever against Jacksonville, but looking at the roster I think we need to hold onto Nate. Buffalo isn't exactly filled with above average defensive players, especially secondary.

Then again, how can one tell when the schemes and the coaching calls for them to play seven yards off on a third and four?

Then again, how can one tell when the schemes and the coaching calls for them to play seven yards off on a third and four?

661087[/snapback]

Thank you. Let's see what happens with a new scheme not orchestrated by Jerry Gray.

Thank you.  Let's see what happens with a new scheme not orchestrated by Jerry Gray.

661094[/snapback]

I've never been able to figure that out. But I'm not a TBD football genious either.

Why do you want your D backs running towards the LOS on an obvious pass play?

they say stockpile picks... WHY? drop a probowl caliber player to gain one college player who may or may not be a bum. Nate is proven. hes a solid #1 CB. Hes one of the best defensive players we have. can that late 1st rounder or 2nd rounder say the same? no.

if we trade nate we will need to replace him with someone. i dotn care what anyone says about McGee, he isnt a #1 CB. name a FA CB that can be our #1 guy for the next 2-3 years? how much would that guy be paid?

signing nate to a long term deal is whats best. we cant make him the #1 paid CB in the nfl, but i would be ok with #5.

661078[/snapback]

Agreed.

We have nobody to replace him and he may be overated but he is still an above average number one cb. We need to hold on to any above average players we have on the defensive side of the ball.

Agreed.

We have nobody to replace him and he may be overated but he is still an above average number one cb. We need to hold on to any above average players we have on the defensive side of the ball.

661104[/snapback]

Draft picks = shiny things.

1. Last year, Nate was toasted many times.

2. The Bills are in the middle of a 3-4 year rebuilding.

3. Rebuilding is best done through the draft.

4. The better the draft pick number, the better the players drafted (generally).

5. Therefore, trade Nate for more draft picks.

What's the best case scenario if he stays? He has 3 good years during a rebuilding period. I say send him packing.

Nate Clements isn't a malcontent. Dude just wants to get paid. For all that is good about the league, it still is a dirty business. Plus, he probably wants to win. But corners in Cover 2 can have monster years, just look at Nathan Vasher. That said, if we can get a top 15 pick for him, I'd do it in a second.

What's the best case scenario if he stays? He has 3 good years during a rebuilding period. I say send him packing.

661116[/snapback]

Rebuilding periods are not three years anymore (if done correctly). Buffalo fans are excused if they forget this, since the Bills have been mismanaged and poorly coached for the past five seasons.

If Marv & Co. handle things properly through the remainder of this offseason, the draft, and next offseason, there is absolutely no reason not to expect a playoff contender in 2007.

Nate Clements is a bonified top shelf CB in this league. The Bills would be foolish to trade him away as he enters his prime. 10 draft picks this year are plenty to accomplish what is needed.

661078[/snapback]

Absolutely.

4. The better the draft pick number, the better the players drafted (generally).

661116[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more!!!!

As I've said many times, the Bills are not contenders this year. By the time the Bills are contenders, Nate will be past his prime.

Get something valuable now, save $$, and rebuild the right way- drafting the next T McGee.

He is not a shutdown corner, but wants to be paid like one. He got burned quite a bit last year. Chambers made him look like a fool.

661116[/snapback]

1) last year our passing D was just bad. but nate was still the best defensive back we had last year.

2) ive been hearing that for teh past 5-6 years.

3) not exactly. rebuilding is best done by cutting overpaid, overrated, old players whoes best games are behind them. Nate is young, skilled, and will play for several more years.

4) all draft picks are a gamble. we have no way of knowing if the draft pick we get in a trade for nate is a bum or just as good as nate, or even better. i think teh chances that he will be better are not to good.

5) no. who would you replace him with? how long would we have to wait for that new draft pick to start producing? 2,3,4 seasons... and by that point his original contract will be up, and he will want a big payday just like nate does. so we would be in the same boat.

we got lucky by drafting nate. he has played very well for us, and has improved every year. i dont see how you cna build a team if you get rid of the best players, especially when they are young.