Marv on with Sean Salisbury and John Clayton

JoeF

Highlights:

1) Reiterated that JP is not on the block. Likes JP's work ethic. Said JP has to earn the respect of his team with his performance. Sean asked him if the team disliked JP -- Marv said that JP is very west coast--he might come up to me and say "Hey Dude", but again reiterated that respect is earned through performance and also said not to mistake personality for a person's charachter.

2) About Moulds...Marv said there were no other offers. Houston was the only team to meet Eric's financial parameters and offer a trade. Marv said they took what they were offered, the first pick in the 5th round.

He thinks the combination of Reed, Evans, Davis and others has great potential. Singled out Andre Davis as someone who could surprise people if he stays healthy.

Said they needed Moulds' cap money to build the lines properly...sounds like more moves in FA prior to and after the draft.

3) Said he took the job because he loves the atmosphere in Buffalo.

4) Said the first parameter he and Ralph set after talking to all 6 candidates in the head coach search process was they wanted experience and then they wanted Defense...Jauron was the man.

These were the highlights...good interview as always with Marv.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from your summary JoeF i can't help but think just how profound the differences are between marv and tom donahoe. marv clearly had to settle for a 5th in exchange for moulds and openly admits he had no other offers. i have to believe tom d would have been very stubborn in that situation which you could view as positive or negative i guess. also the fact marv discusses the logic or thought process behind hirings and signings is a big change at OBD. his frank manner in discussing jp(at least i get that impression from your summary) is also very different from anything tom d would ever say. i'm not sure how marv will work out and he's definitely giving us some reasons to doubt him, but it is refreshing to actually here comments from our gm that are actually insightful and not just a bunch of BS meant to mask all of the failures the team has had

Highlights:

2) About Moulds...Marv said there were no other offers.  Houston was the only team to meet Eric's financial parameters and offer a trade.  Marv said they took what they were offered, the first pick in the 5th round.

He thinks the combination of Reed, Evans, Davis and others has great potential.  Singled out Andre Davis as someone who could surprise people if he stays healthy.

Said they needed Moulds' cap money to build the lines properly...sounds like more moves in FA prior to and after the draft.

656636[/snapback]

So who is left in free agency for either line? The only decent offensive lineman that I believe that is still available is Tutan Reyes, who is a guard from Carolina.

So who is left in free agency for either line?  The only decent offensive lineman that I believe that is still available is Tutan Reyes, who is a guard from Carolina.

656687[/snapback]

Kris Ferris and Joe Panos.

from your summary JoeF i can't help but think just how profound the differences are between marv and tom donahoe.

656673[/snapback]

Agreed.

Donahoe would have never let Moulds go in April for a campfodder pick.

He would have gotten at least a 3rd...and then spent it on a high motor DE or an undersized WR.

656694[/snapback]

Possibly.

But I'd sure rather have a Kelsay or a Parrish than a 5thround guess.

Or maybe he'd have turned that 3rdrounder into another Jennings, McGee, Crowell, TimAnderson, Preston, RonEdwards, etc.

'Preciate the fine recap Joe!

Agreed.

656691[/snapback]

True Simon. I am still in awe of how TD was able to get an early third for Travis Henry, who will almost certainly be out of football soon. It was a literal steal, by an experienced, old school, hard core GM. I hope you know that I am 100% serious.

That said, he did a terrible job on both of our lines, and drafted silly little circus acts who were promptly injured.

If he drafted in Buffalo the way he did in Pitt., Tom Donahoe would be heralded as a literally great GM.

At least by me. <_<

Agreed.

656691[/snapback]

Yeah, because he wouldn't feel a need to have the cap money to upgrade either line...

That said, he did a terrible job on both of our lines, and drafted silly little circus acts who were promptly injured.

A couple years from now when Parrish is converting key downs and finding the endzone 8-9 times year somewhere, you'll have to finally give up the teeth-gnashing over that pick. <_<

Yeah, because he wouldn't feel a need to have the cap money to upgrade either line...

Handing JP the job and letting PhatPat/Jonas walk makes me beleive that he was playing for 2006 and that he would have made more effort to bring higher caliber players into the OLine mix this year.

The discussion can never be more than speculation but I'm inclined to think that given that one more year he would have spent another Day1 pick (or possibly even 2) on the OLine as well as making a serious run at LBentley (who probably would ahve gone to Cleveburgh anyways); and would have had a nice looking OLine when the season started.

A couple years from now when Parrish is converting key downs and finding the endzone 8-9 times year somewhere, you'll have to finally give up the teeth-gnashing over that pick.  :lol:

Handing JP the job and letting PhatPat/Jonas walk makes me beleive that he was playing for 2006 and that he would have made more effort to bring higher caliber players into the OLine mix this year.

The discussion can never be more than speculation but I'm inclined to think that given that one more year he would have spent another Day1 pick (or possibly even 2) on the OLine as well as making a serious run at LBentley (who probably would ahve gone to Cleveburgh anyways); and would have had a nice looking OLine when the season started.

656721[/snapback]

I would not dispute these suppositions as possibilities, except to say that unlike his stay at Pittsburgh, TD's additions to the Bills OL consisted primarily of fat, useless flops.

Can't we meet in the middle here? <_<

A couple years from now when Parrish is converting key downs and finding the endzone 8-9 times year somewhere, you'll have to finally give up the teeth-gnashing over that pick.  :lol:

656721[/snapback]

Do you have ANY idea how much that I hope you are correct?

Nirvjam and I kept track last year. Do you know how many tackles Parrish broke?

You guessed it..........ONE! :):(<_<:(:(

656721[/snapback]

You are kidding, right? I mean how is letting your "starter of the future" get creamed on every other play for a season the right plan to build for the future? Or was the idea that we'd get a top 10 pick in 2006 that he could then use on Vince Young? After all, he was due to spend yet another first round pick on a QB... <_<