In the end....Vernon Davis

Either drafting him at 8 or trying to trade down a couple of spots if one of the QB's is still on the board......

But Vernon Davis is my pick....now with the departure of Moulds the pressure is all on Lee Evans....and I really dont like the sound of that.....

Davis has special written all over him.....

Should we really add a 3rd TE to the team? I thought Everett was suppose to be the ever elusive TE target to stretch the field. Also with Royal being "one of the best blocking TEs in the NFL", do you think we will go after one with the rest of our needs? I would be surprised if we did.

I have us picking Huff but will be thrilled if they go with Davis. Some draftniks have davis going before # 8 (a few have Huff going earlier too). I believe in those scenarios that AJ Hawk is still there.

Question John: If AJ is still there , do you take him?

The problem is that:

Royal is a blocker....his pass catching problems are well documented

Everitt....we dont know what we have in him

Euhus...has their been a year where he WAS NOT hurt?

My thinking on getting Davis is you have a offensive threat immediately.....taking pressure off Lee Evans....BUT if Everitt comes back and shows something...then you have a killer 2 TE set (which is also a excellent running formation) with big targets for a young QB (which is always helpful)

I look at Hali Ngata and I just dont see greatness in him...his injury is a concern to me. He might turn out to be a fine player but at the 8th overall you HAVE to get a stud. Bunkly scares me because he is moving up the board like Flowers did that one year. That is scary too.

Yes, you take AJ if he's still there, and No, we should not pick up Vernon Davis.  He's a good player, but we already have that position filled with Everett and Euhus/Royal

652933[/snapback]

I agree. I hate to pass on someone who has special written all over him but he could be a workout warrior just as easily. Besides, if he has special written written all over him, shouldn't he wash it off? :angry:

Davis would be one of the Best players available at 8 if he is still there. We shouldn't take him cause Everett and Euhus (both coming off injuries and not much NFL Experience) are on the team?

Davis has been described as one of the best TE to come out of the draft in a while and a WR in a TE body. I think he could be a valuable replacement for Moulds and after a few games will take some of the pressure off of Evans to help out the rest of our receivers. Everett and Euhus I don't think compare to Davis

Davis would be one of the Best players available at 8 if he is still there. We shouldn't take him cause Everett and Euhus (both coming off injuries and not much NFL Experience) are on the team?

Davis has been described as one of the best TE to come out of the draft in a while and a WR in a TE body. I think he could be a valuable replacement for Moulds and after a few games will take some of the pressure off of Evans to help out the rest of our receivers. Everett and Euhus I don't think compare to Davis

652961[/snapback]

I agree with you about Everett and Euhus.

How does having players unproven and unproduvtive at a position keep us from taking an explosive athlete that will help both our receiving and running game immensely?

Certainly teams wouldn't be able to crowd the box against McGahee.

Put Davis in motion and watch the other team have to account for him.

He will create more room on the field for both Evans and McGahee.

Either drafting him at 8 or trying to trade down a couple of spots if one of the QB's is still on the board......

But Vernon Davis is my pick....now with the departure of Moulds the pressure is all on Lee Evans....and I really dont like the sound of that.....

652895[/snapback]

Davis is a huge WR-

his blocking will not help the Bills OL problems.

Pope would be better value later in the draft -he is better blocker, bigger target altjhough not as explosive as Davis.

Pope would be better value later in the draft -he is better blocker, bigger target altjhough not as explosive as Davis.

653164[/snapback]

i dont think Pope has the same potential as davis.

look at shocky with the giants. i want that kind of pass recieving TE. a game changer. all draft picks are gambles, but davis is the closest thing to a sure thing of all the top 10 prospects.

Davis has been described as one of the best TE to come out of the draft in a while and a WR in a TE body.

652961[/snapback]

Another Teyo Johnson? :rolleyes:

The Bills paid for Royal and his blocking because of the bad OL. Get a Davis and send him on pass patterns on most plays and splat goes the QB.

Davis is a huge WR-

his blocking will not help the Bills OL problems.

653164[/snapback]

Most pass catching TE's coming out of college are not great blockers right away....but what they DO is provide a reliable target that can create a mismatch with a linebacker or corner.....

A guy like Davis can become a GAMEBREAKER

A guy like Davis can become a GAMEBREAKER

653219[/snapback]

That assumes that the qb has the time, skill, and smarts to get the ball to him. And a halfway decent OL to allow for that.

Otherwise, he's out there running sprints and waving his hands...

First things first... :rolleyes:

I think Davis could be the best pick, and her rediculous upside. I'd love Hawk as well, and I can live with Justice or Bunkley if we trade down and take them in 12-15 range with an extra pick somewhere else. One trade down option would be taking Ngata, and if someone we like is available at 12 for Cleveland, giving them Ngata for that player plus a pick. Lots of good options if we do two things:

1) Evaluate talent better than any of us forum junkies are able to do.

2) Try to get the best football player(s) with each draft pick by making rational decisions.

652961[/snapback]

I've heard many compare him to Antonio Gates, well as a rookie Gates had 24 catches 389 Yards and 2 TDs. TSN compares him to Dallas Clark, Clark's numbers as a rookie were 29 catches 340 Yards and 1 TD. Take a look at the production of rookie TEs and WRs. You'll come to discover regardless of round very few had impacts as rookies. While I think Davis is clearly the best TE in the draft, I just worry about what impact he'd truly have as a rookie. Based on the numbers I brought forward I suspect it will be very little. Not to mention as I've posted in another thread it doesn't appear that Fairchild favors the TE in his offense (click here for Rams' TE Brandon Manumaleuna career stats). So I truly question what impact Davis would have on this team both in the short and long term and that's why favor going a different way in the 1st Round.

First off, Davis would be the pass catching TE, Royal is the Blocking TE so it doesn't matter if Davis is a great blocking TE, we already have one. I also remember hearing somewhere they may go to a 2 TE offence which is a good idea with Davis and Royal.

Second, Next year we will not be a playoff team, so I could careless if Davis is producing Pro Bowl numbers or not. He won't be available in the Draft next year so you get him now. Is any draft pick we bring in next year going to come in and have an immediate impact?

Did anyone here watch Vernon Davis run the receiving drills at the combine? Look I have no problems calling him an athletic phenom but besides "bodying" every catch in the drills, I don't think he has the greatest hands. If it's the receiving element you want, go after Fassano from ND or the kid from UCLA.

While I'm intrigued by Davis' potential, he ain't no "wide receiver in a tight end's body", more like an "insane athlete in a tight end's body". Very different. The delta between him and the great TEs in the league now are:

a. experience obviously and

b. they are all VERY good receivers - just watch how they catch the ball.

Speed kills but his hands don't warrant a top 10 pick. Me, I'd rather not get caught up in the hype and unless a Hawk or D'Brick fell to us, I'd be workin the phones like crazy to trade down and get another 1st day pick.

Davis is my pick as well.

The Pats drafted 2 first round TEs when they already had a good/better TE on the roster.

Sure those were luxery picks, but having two great TEs on that team surely helped Brady.

That being said, Davis to me is not a luxery pick because he is head and shoulders above any TE the Bills have on their roster. Seriously, Ehus is a walking ambulance, Everett is an unknown (and was a project BEFORE tearing his knee up) and Royal, even if he exceeds expectations, still only gives us one TE.

652895[/snapback]

I really HATE to agree with you...but if Davis is there we have to pick him. Not only is he a gifted player, but you could make the argument that he does make our OL better.

You hate to agree with me? 

What did I ever do to you..:lol:

653609[/snapback]

I agree. Let's draft TEs in the 3rd round or lower every season, forever. The lines are just fine, and we should pour all (or at least most) of our resources into TEs, as well as QBs and wideouts.

I agree. Let's draft TEs in the 3rd round or lower every season, forever. The lines are just fine, and we should pour all (or at least most) of our resources into TEs, as well as QBs and wideouts.

653618[/snapback]

And I really hate to agree with you Bill because I don't think picking high round offensive linemen is the path to greatness, however, I'm wary of picking phenom athletes unless they show great instincts in college (re: Urlacher vs Wire or Flowers or Mamula).

First of we can't compare Davis to any other rookie TE, because Davis will have to be our first option, and not just another option. Davis may be the new evolution of TEs, And I have seen the tape of the combines, I think I still have it Tivo'd and I recalled him catching everything with his hands.

also i feel your pains about blocking, however, a threat at TE trumps blocking, in these terms. What killed us the most last year was when teams would send 2 LBs or DBs overloading our line. Too many of our routes were long routes, and then they would jump our short routes, who ran our short routes, Campbell, euhus and other non threatening TEs.

I would hope that teams would blitz, because if they blitz from Davis' side, he is such a good athlete you could hit him on a short route, and he could take it 10, 15, 100 yards. if they blitz the other side, it would be smarter, however who can cover Davis, do they move up a Safety, allowing Evans one on one on the outside. a LBer that doesn't have the foot speed. he creates offense.

Bottom line, I like Winston Justice, and if we trade down and still get him that is great, however we need offensive threats, and like I said Davis could be a once in a lifetime TE. We are not even close to set at TE. the notion that Fairchild doesn't favor TEs is more the result of having Holt, Bruce, Jackson, Faulk, and Curtis, and not needing a threat at TE. we have Evans, Mcgahee.....

You hate to agree with me? 

What did I ever do to you..:P

653609[/snapback]

Nothing, I still love ya! :lol: I just spent the entire off season with thought that the Bills should draft the biggest meanest lineman they could find. (fix a big problem right now!) Now I'm forced to change my mind, Davis is a once in a decade player and if he falls to the Bills... they have to pick him. (although he will most likely not have an impact this year) Admiting that I difficult to do, and I don't like it because I want results now not later.

Which is a problem that most of the people on this board have. They want to improve the lines, but can't get past the fact that Davis might be the best player to draft if we look 2-3 years down the road. Which is what a good GM should do.

Not to mention as I've posted in another thread it doesn't appear that Fairchild favors the TE in his offense (click here for Rams' TE Brandon Manumaleuna career stats). So I truly question what impact Davis would have on this team both in the short and long term and that's why favor going a different way in the 1st Round.

653373[/snapback]

I agree with you but not with your assessment. I hate when people use stats of te's like that. Brandon Manumaleuna is primarly a blocking te, and they used him as such. I dont think this an indictment that fairchild doesnt use the te's as much as it is Manumaleuna was used in the role he was suited for. Given a receiving threat at te I believe fairchild would use him. Within the air coryell system which I assume fairchild will use a version of since thats the system martz used you can have a blocking te and a receiving te ala the chiefs jason dunn and then tony gonzalez. Royal could fill that jason dunn/manumaleuna and everett or vernon davis in that tony gonzalez esque receiving role. I dont think thats out of the question. You use what you have available to you.

I really HATE to agree with you...but if Davis is there we have to pick him.  Not only is he a gifted player, but you could make the argument that he does make our OL better.

653606[/snapback]

you could argue that- but you would wrong-esprecailly in 2006.

Davis doesn't block very well and would need considerable seasoning to become effective in the passing game as an NFL TE.

Being big and fast is only part of the formula for success.

Vernon Davis is the pic at #8 if he's there, if not, then there isn't much pressure on getting a TE cause the bills already have a rookie TE in Everett. Davis is projected and showed signs of being a very good TE in the NFL, but last pass cause a rookie linemen (who we are probably reaching a bit to draft) is going to immediately make us a condtendor. The Bills have 8 (atleast 9 if you count something from the Moulds deal) other picks in the other 6 rounds of the draft where we can find the best available Linemen (where the draft is supposedly pretty deep

you could argue that- but you would wrong-esprecailly in 2006.

Davis doesn't block very well and would need considerable seasoning to become effective in the passing game as an NFL TE.

Being big and fast is only part of the formula for success.

653836[/snapback]

Actually I was thinking that teams might have to double team him... and assuming that Lee E is double teamed that leaves no one left to blitz... which makes the line better! :lol:

I'll say this. Vernon Davis not only has the most upside of all the players we've talked about at #8, he also is the safest pick as well. He has that great work ethic and has been extremely durable during college.

Ngata takes plays off, is a potential weight problem, and has that rebuilt knee and other minor nicks during his career.

Justice has the adjustment that has to be made going from right tackle to the left side, and also his off-the-field incidents.

Huff is a tweener and will need to stick with a position and gain experience playing full-time there.

If Davis is available, I'd pick him. Tremendous upside, and the player with the least worries as well. Then start building the lines with the rest of the picks, obviously. But you can't eff around with a top 10 pick. Risk management-wise, it's a no-brainer.