Is Winston Justice the best pick for us at #8?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that made me laugh. ahh memories of travis henry, best back ever to grace ralph wilson stadium.

651265[/snapback]

I knew my sig would stir up some controversy.

Back in 2001, Travis Henry didn't provide enough of an upgrade over Antowain Smith to have been worth a 2nd round pick. In 2003, Willis McGahee didn't provide enough of an upgrade over Henry to have been worth a 1st round pick. The offensive line suffered because of this excessive attention to the RB spot. A decent back behind a great line will do better than a great back behind a lousy line.

and Mike Williams "was essntially a LT in a conventional lineup with a righty QB". Truth be told Justice played RT in 2002 when a right handed QB named Carson Palmer was at SC proving the handiness of the QB behind him no baring on him playing RT. I don't think Justice is a bad player but he is a RT and the only way I see drafting him is by trading down and if we're looking to replace Jason Peters.

650975[/snapback]

Jokeman, after his performance @ USC's pro day, I don't see a scenario where we'd be able to trade down to draft Justice, if that's the plan. We'd have to stay @ 8, more than likely. Justice has impressed me, but I still don't want him that high.

Jokeman, after his performance @ USC's pro day, I don't see a scenario where we'd be able to trade down to draft Justice, if that's the plan.  We'd have to stay @ 8, more than likely.  Justice has impressed me, but I still don't want him that high.

651474[/snapback]

What don't you like? Is it the character thing, his game or both?

I knew my sig would stir up some controversy.

Back in 2001, Travis Henry didn't provide enough of an upgrade over Antowain Smith to have been worth a 2nd round pick.  In 2003, Willis McGahee didn't provide enough of an upgrade over Henry to have been worth a 1st round pick.  The offensive line suffered because of this excessive attention to the RB spot.  A decent back behind a great line will do better than a great back behind a lousy line.

651441[/snapback]

Agreed...Case in point....a washed up Bettis, an average Staley and a

undrafted FA Speedy Parker all were able to run over teams regularly with

that dominating OL the steelers put in front of them.

hate to bring this up, but if scott f'ing norwood had made the biggest f'ing kick of his life - as he should have given that it was the biggest f'ing kick of his miserable life - levy would have won the super bowl.

651195[/snapback]

since ya brought it up we might have won if we had run the damn ball more than Kelly was doing. It was up to the coaching staff to make the halftime adjusment and they didnt. I dont think Scott Norwood has a had or would consider his life to be miserable,

What don't you like? Is it the character thing, his game or both?

651537[/snapback]

"Character thing" is putting it mildly.

I don't consider pointing a gun @ someone or soliciting a prostitute as something minor. Those are huge red flags. Then again, maybe he's learned his lesson and will settle down, huh? Hey, I'm just trying to look @ it through the same "battered fan syndrome" glasses as his fans do. One thing for Justice to heed: he's entering the real world, where cleaning up these kind of messes are a bit more difficult away from the boosters and alunmi that shielded him in college.

Just ask Sean Taylor or Jamal Lewis, for staters.

I doubt Mike Williams had anywhere NEAR the numbers Justice did.  I'm still amazed at 39", which is great for a CB, much less a 320# OT!

651570[/snapback]

Give it up. People are going to compare Justice to Mike Williams because of the way the Bills fared in taking an OL 4th overall. It has nothing to do w/ the two guys being similar in their style of play (they are not), but you do have to admit the comments are kinda neat, aren't they?

I understand the draft positioning and how you can add value through adding picks, but if the guy can be an anchor at left tackle for you then what is "too high". If you think the guy can be a stud player for you then you grab him if you don't believe he'll be there for your next pick.

#8 may be a little high for him, but I would be happy taking Justice in the 1st round, especially if we can trade down a few spots & get another Day 1 pick. Again, I feel there are so many ways the Bills can go with this pick, I love it.

650724[/snapback]

Agreed...I think the Bills may find themselves in a GREAT position at #8, especially if one of the 3 QB's is still on the Board. Again, is there really that big a difference between Justice, Bunkley, Ngata, Davis, Huff, etc...I think a small Trade Down is definitely the way to go here...

That is unless AJ Hawk is available at #8...I'd scoop him up in a heartbeat...Need Position or not... :w00t:

I dont know what his character issues were but if he can grow up and overcome that then he obviously has the necessary tools to be an effective tackle, but still could be a reach with the 8th spot. If we move down then I would say take him.

Agreed...I think the Bills may find themselves in a GREAT position at #8, especially if one of the 3 QB's is still on the Board. Again, is there really that big a difference between Justice, Bunkley, Ngata, Davis, Huff, etc...I think a small Trade Down is definitely the way to go here...

That is unless AJ Hawk is available at #8...I'd scoop him up in a heartbeat...Need Position or not... :w00t:

651589[/snapback]

No doubt, KOK... I think AJ is the 2nd best immediate impact player in the draft after Bush. Talk about creating a new identity for our D! I just don't see him slipping though.

651589[/snapback]

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hawk go in the top 3.

I'd sure like to see the Bills trade down. It seems there are plenty of highly-rated players this year. The folks (and all clubs) that study such for a living say so, and they are usually right.

Denver worked a nice deal; two picks in round one.

gandy and peters are going to perform better next year than anyone the bills draft at the position.

651609[/snapback]

For a draft pick to step in and play better than Gandy is anything but impossible.

Gandy, in case you forgot, is a castoff from a basement dweller. His play approaches average.

Although he was on the right side, Jonas Jennings as a rookie played better than Gandy in 05.

Why you would make such an absolute statement Dave, is beyond me.

DT and guard are far bigger need areas than OT, which is pretty well set right now. gandy and peters are going to perform better next year than anyone the bills draft at the position.

651609[/snapback]

Maybe, but you could solve the OG problem by drafting someone like Justice and moving Gandy back to his natural OG position.

"Character thing" is putting it mildly. 

I don't consider pointing a gun @ someone or soliciting a prostitute as something minor.  Those are huge red flags.  Then again, maybe he's learned his lesson and will settle down, huh?  Hey, I'm just trying to look @ it through the same "battered fan syndrome" glasses as his fans do.  One thing for Justice to heed:  he's entering the real world, where cleaning up these kind of messes are a bit more difficult away from the boosters and alunmi that shielded him in college. 

Just ask Sean Taylor or Jamal Lewis, for staters.

651565[/snapback]

I don't like the thing with the bb gun at all. I wish I knew HOW it was used. Robbery?

As for the prostitute thing, unless he was violent with her, I am not too shocked. It wasn't smart mind you, just not shocking.