Don't expect us to draft the big names.

Based on us having the #8 pick overall in this year's draft, expect us to draft S Michael Huff. He fills one of our biggest needs and constitutes the value. A.J. Hawk is a very close second. The administration that we have now is not the flambouyant administration that we have had the past several years. Marv and Jauron will be looking to not only fulfill obvious and immediate needs but also to display their competency and abilities on establishing a solid framework for building a team. Some of the big names that we desire will be gone by the time we pick and the other ones we don't neccesary need as much as other positions of weakness. If this scenario holds true then expect us to draft a OT in the 2nd rd. The DT that we select will be in the 3rd rd. Outside of Huff, these other two positions/needs are great values. Although the OT and DT that we selected in these rounds would not be the top player at their positions they still would be, at least, in the top 5 of their positions. That would serve a greater value to a team that has numerous holes and weaknesses to fill. Our second 3rd rder just may very well be invested in the O-Line again, possibly guard. The 4th rd is where we would be looking to solidify other areas of the team.

Would anybody be unhappy or in disagreement if the Bills were to execute a draft like this or would this be a good approach to rebuilding our team?

Some of the big names that we desire will be gone by the time we pick 

The Bills pick 8th not 28th...only 7 guys will be drafted before the Bills pick so there will still be plenty of big name players on the board

I just dont see this team Drafting Huff, I like him and would like to see the Bills draft him but I just dont think they put a lot of stock in their Safety's playing in their cover 2

I still have yet to hear a good reason why this team should even consider AJ Hawk

Age to our LBers and potential health issue to Spikes. The big names that I'm referring to are Bush, Leinart, Williams and Ferguson. These names will be gone by the time we select. Young, Cutler and Davis are not are as big of a need for us like a S and maybe a LB would be.

I still have yet to hear a good reason why this team should even consider AJ Hawk

649803[/snapback]

Because he is one of the best linebackers to come out if the draft in quite some time? Would that do it for you? Plus what Tipster said...

At number 8 I do NOT want to pick a guy because he plays a position we have a need at. That does not make him good. I wish people would realize this. You do not take a top guy at a position when a STAR is looking at you in another one.

I will not say what or who that is. That is Marv and staff's job. Unless you guys are pro talent evaluaters I would just as soon put an end to the "we have to pick a - fill in the position - " nonsence.

Guest BackInDaDay

I've got a hunch Marv will trade out of the 1st round.

It's just a hunch, but it fits into our lack of involvement with FA and Ralph's disapointment with the league's revenue sharing and CBA.

It will anger many fans, but I don't think our owner is comfortable signing anymore big contracts and large bonuses. Marv's been entrusted with keeping the team competitive with the best bargain players available. Multiple picks in the 2nd to 4th round make more sense.

I don't like it, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Guest dog14787
Based on us having the #8 pick overall in this year's draft, expect us to draft S Michael Huff. He fills one of our biggest needs and constitutes the value. A.J. Hawk is a very close second. The administration that we have now is not the flambouyant administration that we have had the past several years. Marv and Jauron will be looking to not only fulfill obvious and immediate needs but also to display their competency and abilities on establishing a solid framework for building a team. Some of the big names that we desire will be gone by the time we pick and the other ones we don't neccesary need as much as other positions of weakness. If this scenario holds true then expect us to draft a OT in the 2nd rd. The DT that we select will be in the 3rd rd. Outside of Huff, these other two positions/needs are great values. Although the OT and DT that we selected in these rounds would not be the top player at their positions they still would be, at least, in the top 5 of their positions. That would serve a greater value to a team that has numerous holes and weaknesses to fill. Our second 3rd rder just may very well be invested in the O-Line again, possibly guard. The 4th rd is where we would be looking to solidify other areas of the team.

Would anybody be unhappy or in disagreement if the Bills were to execute a draft like this or would this be a good approach to rebuilding our team?

649800[/snapback]

:D

The approach looks very sound to me , considering Levys conservative nature , I would be inclined to believe the draft will go alot like you predict. O- Line is a very important factor. So is a run stopper .

It would be nice if a good Tight End was in the picture. J.P. could sure use a big target (not that hes blind or anything lol) It just seems like something he Bills have been lacking since Remersima ( spelled wrong I know )

It will be interesting to see how close you are , my brother gave me an April Fools Joke Yesterday, Told me the Bills and Texans had traded positions in the first round and that Levy was going after Vince Young . I almost had a heart attack .

I tried to Post the same thing on the Forum but the post only lasted about 10 minutes. it was going strong though lol . It would have been interesting to hear the feed back after a day .

People would have been Posting " dog14787 WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE"

:P

It's just a hunch, but it fits into our lack of involvement with FA and Ralph's disapointment with the league's revenue sharing and CBA.

It will anger many fans, but I don't think our owner is comfortable signing anymore big contracts and large bonuses. Marv's been entrusted with keeping the team competitive with the best bargain players available. Multiple picks in the 2nd to 4th round make more sense. 

649807[/snapback]

wrong

Thr Bills need playmakers- but with Ralph's limnited budget -it's too expensive to buy them in FA.

Theresfore, you must find playmekers in the draft - and that means you need talent

Skippin the entire 1st round is not how you find playmakers.

649800[/snapback]

Yes, virtually the entire NFL Community. As you see, safeties are not selected in the top 10.

Exceptions? Sure, Sean Taylor (awaiting disposition of his criminal case(s), and Roy Williams, good, but I don't know if he is playing up to the #8 slot.

You see Tip Man, the Bills DTs OTs, OGs, and perhaps OCs are marked by weakness and lack of skill. Although you make it sound not so hard, big guys who are in shape and can block other humans are not so easy to find.

Does Huff come with Sean Taylor credentials? I think absolutely not, but even if he did, a #8 safety is a reach and a luxury that only good teams can afford. When Pitt took Palamalu (sic?) at 16, look what they had in place in front of him. Look who they had blocking on the other side

For the Bills to take a safety at #8 would be the equivalent of putting a nice new roof on a house with rotten wood and a crumbling foundation. It might not be the exact model of stupidity and futility that drafting Parrish with our first selection was, but it would certainly be a move in this category.

Other than the above, I think that grabbing a safety at #8 is a wonderful idea.

a top 10 pick is not going to be a "need" player. it would be stupid to pass on a potential probowl player becaues you just signed a 10 year vet to a 2 year contract who happens to play the same position.

in FA, teams try to fill out their roster so they dont have to draft by need. draft picks rarely make much of a contribution their rookie seasons. so drafting a player to fill a starting position is not the best way to go. you draft a player who looks like they can be great.

649885[/snapback]

yeah, sounds great.... except there are no top 10 safeties in this draft class. and i bet e could get one of the best safeties in this draft class in the second round.

649803[/snapback]

Attitude.

The Bills defense lacked the killer attitude when Spikes went down and was in dire need of an attitude adjustment. Fletch is the man but he's getting old real quick in a position that takes years off your NFL life. You also got a gimpy question mark with Spikes. I could easily see the Bills not letting a player like AJ Hawk go by them.

Yes, virtually the entire NFL Community. As you see, safeties are not selected in the top 10.

Exceptions? Sure, Sean Taylor (awaiting disposition of his criminal case(s), and Roy Williams, good, but I don't know if he is playing up to the #8 slot.

You see Tip Man, the Bills DTs OTs, OGs, and perhaps OCs are marked by weakness and lack of skill. Although you make it sound not so hard, big guys who are in shape and can block other humans are not so easy to find.

Does Huff come with Sean Taylor credentials? I think absolutely not, but even if he did, a #8 safety is a reach and a luxury that only good teams can afford. When Pitt took Palamalu (sic?) at 16, look what they had in place in front of him. Look who they had blocking on the other side

For the Bills to take a safety at #8 would be the equivalent of putting a nice new roof on a house with rotten wood and a crumbling foundation. It might not be the exact model of stupidity and futility that drafting Parrish with our first selection was, but it would certainly be a move in this category.

649885[/snapback]

huff would be graded as high or higher than taylor.

huff is the highest rated DB in the draft, he can be a corner or safety in the NFL. 8 is in no way a reach for the top DB.

i'd rather we trade down and pick up bunk, a top rated interior Dlineman, an o tackle, etc.

a top 10 pick is not going to be a "need" player. it would be stupid to pass on a potential probowl player becaues you just signed a 10 year vet  to a 2 year contract who happens to play the same position.

649899[/snapback]

Huff would probably send slow 35 year old Vincent to waivers, not Bowen to the sidelines.

Drafting a Safety would be about as bad as drafting a QB at 8. IT would totally suck @3s. We need linemen. And although a lineman isn't necessarily the same kind of star that a QB or RB is, a top tier perrenial pro bowl lineman is something that would be nice to have. Not to mention, good linemen make your stars, stars.

So, for me, anything less than a lineman and then I'll start to get a little pissed about the offseason. I'll take a possible exception to Hawk. We really don't have great linebackers, despite the hipe. So drafting him (if available) wouldn't be a total disappointment.. Other than that, I want an new offensive line!

With Clements still not being completely resolved, Vincent being ancient and having chopped our starting SS and leaving a gaping hole there, I don't see why Huff wouldn't be our guy. His speed would give us great versatility. If you notice on the link entire NFL Community, as of lately, the DBs are being drafted early. What does that indicate? Latest trend? Here's an interesting article I read today and also ran into a quote from Marv.

http://greenbaypressgazette.packersnews.co..._25411480.shtml

A little Marvism. Bills coach Marv Levy on making long-term decisions that are best for the organization: "When you say you're building for the future, you're building for the future coach and general manager."

Drafting a Safety would be about as bad as drafting a QB at 8.  IT would totally suck @3s.  We need linemen.  And although a lineman isn't necessarily the same kind of star that a QB or RB is, a top tier perrenial pro bowl lineman is something that would be nice to have. Not to mention, good linemen make your stars, stars. 

So, for me, anything less than a lineman and then I'll start to get a little pissed about the offseason.  I'll take a possible exception to Hawk.  We really don't have great linebackers, despite the hipe.  So drafting him (if available) wouldn't be a total disappointment..  Other than that, I want an new offensive line!

649919[/snapback]

Then you might as well start driving nails with your forehead now.

The lineman will come but the only OL ranked in the top 15 is Ferguson, who will be gone in the 1st 4 picks. Plenty of very good OG's and OT's will still be around in rounds 2 and 3 for us to select. Reaching for one in Round 1 is the difference between dumb/desperate teams and solid organizations which can see the whole picture beyond the end of the day.

Since this is a new front office, I'm willing to give them a chance through the entire draft, camp and well into the 1st couple of seasons. They didn't create this mess.

Ok. So trade with the someone in the mid teens then and take the guy there.

I completely agree that Marv didn't make this mess. But he needs to fix it. And it can't be fixed with a new QB or safety. We've ignoree bringing in any solid linemen in for far too long and that directly correlates to our losing.

649807[/snapback]

I am thinking we might drop down a few spots to take Justice or Bunkley and to acquire another first day pick.

I sure hope we don't drop out of the first round altogether but anything is possible. I think the Bills have been active but careful in free agency. I still thinks he wants to win it all.

Dan, I'm not sure who you are advocating for with the #8 pick. Ferguson? If he were to slip to us then I would agree 100% but that's wishful thinking. While it's best that you don't draft for need I think that you can throw that out the window when you have so high of a pick. Playmakers and playmakers with speed are ALWAYS a welcomed addition. Who knows what Marv is really going to do with this pick. All I'm saying is if we stay with our pick and the top prospects are drafted like they have been projected, then I wouldn't be upset if we took Huff.

Dan, I'm not sure who you are advocating for with the #8 pick. Ferguson? If he were to slip to us then I would agree 100% but that's wishful thinking. While it's best that you don't draft for need I think that you can throw that out the window when you have so high of a pick. Playmakers and playmakers with speed are ALWAYS a welcomed addition. Who knows what Marv is really going to do with this pick. All I'm saying is if we stay with our pick and the top prospects are drafted like they have been projected, then I wouldn't be upset if we took Huff.

649947[/snapback]

I'm not really advocating for any player. I don't presume to know exactly who we should take. However, I do know we need linemen a heck of a lot more than a safety.

I don't know who's going to be there or not at 8. I've read a dozen and 1 mock drafts and they all show all sorts of things happening. However, if Fergie or Ngata, or possibly Hawk, are not on the board, I'm suggesting we should consider trading down to get line. But what if noone wants to trade? You still take the best lineman, even if its at 8. Ideally, you could trade down a few spots and still get that guy, plus another pick. But, who's to say someone wants to play with us?

I keep hearing "NEED". Yes we need lineman and to improve our lines. That should have been the number one goal of free agency, and is a pretty good overall philosophy for the draft. That said, what we really need is great football players. I think everybody seems to agree that Hawk is a much better football player than Ngata. That Huff is very likely a better football player than Justice. That Davis is a superior football player to Bunkley.

Five years from now we are going to feel silly if Davis is a pro bowl game-changer for somebody else, and we have Justice who we figure out is similar to lots of 2nd round guys. Or if Huff is making a huge difference for another team, and Ngata is hurt and average and taking up space for us. I don't mean the player's talent starting five years from now, but their accumulated value over those five years. These decisions are more easily measurable in baseball where you can clearly compare player values, but in football it will not be as quantifiable, but you will still know.

I would love if the careful evaluation shows Ngata or Bunkley or Justice would be better than these other guys, and we can outsmart the conventional wisdom. Maybe Huff is not football fast or plays a position where extra talent has less of an impact. Maybe Hawk is overhyped and will prove average in the NFL. Maybe Davis has bad hands and can't block, and maybe Ngata is the real deal and will prove to have Junior Seau's heart on the inside. All that would be great.

But we need to base our draft based on the players and our best evaluations of them, and not on our current roster. And we need to try to make better evaluations of talent and value than our rivals do (this is New England's model).

We need to get the best players available with every pick in this draft and every draft. There will be enough picks where we have choices because it is not clear cut, and we can tailor those picks to lean towards our needs (currently on both lines) at least as far as we are unable to address needs in free agency (which should be our first goal).

This is important stuff if you care about winning. This is the difference between being the Oakland A's and the Kansas City Royals (for those who follow baseball), or between New England and the Redskins.

649885[/snapback]

Given that we have little more than carp in the middle on both sides of the ball, I am highly inclined to agree. The Bills are going to lose a ton of games this year without some major influx of talent on both lines. As free agency has passed by with nothing but Triplett in tow, the draft appears to be the only help the Bills are going to get. :lol:

On the other hand, the talent level of this team is woeful. They could draft a player at just about any position and it could easily be an upgrade. <huge sigh>

649803[/snapback]

Good reason or not, if Hawk is there at #8, he is the newest member of the Buffalo Bills...It may not be the biggest Need right now, but if he lasted till #8, which I do not expect he will, Hawk would be BY FAR the best Player available IMHO. Furthermore, I think it's safe to assume both Levy and Jauron are going to be enamoured with Hawk. He's definitely the type of Player, and Leader they are looking for. Just plug him in somewhere and the Defense will improve. Plus you simply cannot assume TKO will be back at 100%. Sure we all hope that is the case, but with an Injury of that magnatude you just can't assume it. :lol:

Then you might as well start driving nails with your forehead now.

The lineman will come but the only OL ranked in the top 15 is Ferguson, who will be gone in the 1st 4 picks. Plenty of very good OG's and OT's will still be around in rounds 2 and 3 for us to select. Reaching for one in Round 1 is the difference between dumb/desperate teams and solid organizations which can see the whole picture beyond the end of the day.

649931[/snapback]

Mark, imo there is another clear side to this equation. Rankings are one thing, production is quite another. History tells us that guys like Flo Adams and Marvel Smith were certainly first round talents, projections by the majority notwithstanding.

Is it me, or have many all but given up on the ability of the Bills front office to find a diamond in the rough? Also, if the Bills had selected Marvel Smith (in lieu of Eric Flowers), I doubt if there would have been many complaints.

What I am trying to say is that it is the responsibility of Levy and Modrak to find a good offensive tackle, draft him, and bring him to Buffalo. With the #8 selection in the draft, these guys should be able to to this, providing of course they stay away from RTs, who have a history of weight and injury problems.

Good reason or not, if Hawk is there at #8, he is the newest member of the Buffalo Bills...It may not be the biggest Need right now, but if he lasted till #8, which I do not expect he will, Hawk would be BY FAR the best Player available IMHO. Furthermore, I think it's safe to assume both Levy and Jauron are going to be enamoured with Hawk. He's definitely the type of Player, and Leader they are looking for. Just plug him in somewhere and the Defense will improve. Plus you simply cannot assume TKO will be back at 100%. Sure we all hope that is the case, but with an Injury of that magnatude you just can't assume it. :lol:

650078[/snapback]

Indeed, Hawk would have to be the choice. And I'm not of the best-available school: If my foundation is cracked and my roof leaks, that comes before buying new windows or a spiffy backyard pool. :doh:

Nothing is assured, tho - Cousineau, Bosworth, and Katzenmoyer spring to mind . Ugh. Although Boz' did have some good moments.

650078[/snapback]

If the unlikely were to actually happen (a kid can dream can't he) and AJ Hawk actually were to drop to the 8th pick it would bee great for the Bills! However, the greatest football benefit for us would not be found in selecting him, but in providing us with some great trade bait so we could move pick 8 to another team for additional resources which can help this team become a winner way sooner than it would even if Hawk played lights out LB.

I see three possible scenarios if we in fact draft Hawk:

A. He is a dud-

I really doubt this happens from what I have seen iof him in college play. on the highlight reels, and at the Combine (unless he gets hurt which can happen to anyone and unless there is something about a player like previous injuries and no one can predict that, however, a team can minimize risks here by turning one pick into multiple choices by trading down).

However, the draft is such a crap shoot (agin TD's assertion that 50% of 1st round choices disappoint remains unchallenged from what I've seen by a broad fact-based analysis) that even highly regarded players like Gallery end up struggling along with the more obvious over-reaches like Mamula.

B. He is a solid pro eventually even making the Pro Bowl-

This is the least I would expect of him from what iI have seen, but still even with this solid development and work this is a problematic pick by the Bills will judged to be a failure by many of the fans and all the media who love to insult and pile on. This would be the case, because unless Hawk is immediately a lights out player he will do a good chunk of his development on the bench.

The Bills are already paying multi-millions to Fletch, TKO, and Crowell at LB. It would be fiscally the easiest thing in the world and probably intelligent from an individual player development perspective to let Hawk learn to be a vet by competing and working hard off the bench though breaking in at ST would be probably be more likely for him than LB )again this is assuming he is very good but not Lawrence Taylor lights out in quality).

The media and more important the customer (who in our system of business is always right) will have a field day whining about the Bills not getting a player who could start immediately with pick #8.

C. He is the second coming of LT and immediately plays lights out.

This is great as Hawk is a likely leader of the Bills for years to come (barring injury to him). However, do not make the mistake of thinking there are no negatives which we will have to deal with if he is taken and becomes a great player.

By taking this route we guarantee that several million dollars in salary will sit on the bench for the Bills in 06.

Perhaps TKO never recovers )no sign whatsoever of this yet fortunately) but is Hawk so good we sit his salary if Hawk is the better WLB of the two?

Fletch has put up great numbers for us being credited with more taqckles the last 5 years than any other NFL player. He easily once again led the Bills last year in tackles, perhaps a lights out Hawk is better than Fletch at MLB and we sit Fletch.

We just signed Crowekk kong-term when we did not have to, but perhaps Hawk is so great that it makes no sense to move Crowell into Posey's spot and we sit him (in addition to cutting Posey.

Whether Hawk turns out to be good, bad, or unclear, his highest footbsll value if he drops to #8 is for the Bills to trade down and still get a mid-rouder they can still use on a player likely Bunckley and a couple of other first day picks which will give us over 10 for the draft.

I too hope AJ Hawk falls to 8 and then we quickly trade him to get help to reduce our reloading time rather than have him play and even if he is great it takes us even more time to rebuild given the large gaps left by going LB and to absorb the wasted salary sitting on the bench due to crowd at LB.

The Bills pick 8th not 28th...only 7 guys will be drafted before the Bills pick so there will still be plenty of big name players on the board

I just dont see this team Drafting Huff, I like him and would like to see the Bills draft him but I just dont think they put a lot of stock in their Safety's playing in their cover 2

649803[/snapback]

Have to think of Chris Speilman. This guy is talented and would make an impact right away.

649807[/snapback]

If AJ is there take him I seriously doubt that he will be but he is the 2nd best player in the draft and would make our defense that much better. London is going into his last year and is going to be taking a big piece of the cap. Hawk is a great pick with TKOs status being uncertain, I dont know about you all but he keeps talking about the "comeback" I just hope he can run again.

I see three possible scenarios if we in fact draft Hawk:

A. He is a dud

B. He is a solid pro eventually even making the Pro Bowl

C. He is the second coming of LT and immediately plays lights out

650172[/snapback]

I think you covered all the bases. :doh:

I think you covered all the bases. :w00t:

650851[/snapback]

He could be somewhere between a bust and a solid pro. He could be a ticket sales gimmick or a special teams hanger-on (see Larry Izzo). And since when is a "solid pro" the same as a Pro Bowler? A Pro Bowler suggests a smidge above average, eh?