Bills Needs

Looking at depth chart, IMO the most glaring weaknesses are LT,LG,SS, and RDT... possibly even in that order. I would not be disappointed if we took two Offensive Linemen in rounds 1 and 2.. provided the quality is there, of course. The depth the Bills have behind Gandy and Anderson/Preston is scary

Willis having holes to go through and the offensive having the ability to run for a first down (what a concept) will go along way to making our DEFENSE look a whole lot better. Thanks

I would not be disappointed if we took two Offensive Linemen in rounds 1 and 2.. provided the quality is there, of course. The depth the Bills have behind Gandy  and Anderson/Preston is scary

648377[/snapback]

Agreed.

I'd like to draft 1 DT and a minumum 3 OL by the end of Round 4.

I'm most worried about our 2 Starting Guard positions. :doh:

I would not be disappointed if we took two Offensive Linemen in rounds 1 and 2.. provided the quality is there, of course.

648377[/snapback]

Quality, that's the thing. We won't find an olineman of value at #8, so we either have to go another direction (d-line or db), or trade down, or trade up. I'm still hoping Marv trades down in Rd 1, but we'll see what happens.

Davin Joseph out of Oklahoma is the solution to our LG spot. Every new thing I hear about this kid, the more I love him. He's strong, smart, versatile, a team player (played Guard his entire life but volunteered to take over LT when his teammate got hurt), and claims that the player he modeled his style over was former Bills guard, Ruben Brown.

I say take him in the 2nd and put the LG spot out of your mind for the next 5 years because this kid has all the tools to dominate in the NFL. In fact, the only negative thing I've read about him is his height (only 6'3). But even thats not such a bad thing if he's playing Guard. As long as he's got the bulk, wingspan and strength (which he does) than his height shouldnt matter too much.

To me, he's the best choice for us in the 2nd, regardless of what we do in the first.

Here's some info on him, Draft Countdown rates him as the #1 Guard (although most sites have Giles ahead of him).

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...avinjoseph.html

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospe...vin_joseph.html

http://2006.ontheclockdraft.com/profile.ph...721053091536786

How did he do against Ngata in the Holiday Bowl? :doh:

648454[/snapback]

It looks like he handled Ngata pretty well actually. I didnt see the game but the stats in front of me are pretty stacked in Joseph's favor.

Paved the way for 149 yards on the ground and Ngata only got two assisted tackles in the entire game...no sacks, no registered pressures.

My guess is things go like this..

our first rounder = HUFF, a SS

second rounder = DT

2 thirds = OL

but if good value can't be found at DT and a decent OL is there then we'll take that in the second and get a DT in the third. Either way, those are our biggest needs at the moment.

It looks like he handled Ngata pretty well actually.  I didnt see the game but the stats in front of me are pretty stacked in Joseph's favor.

Paved the way for 149 yards on the ground and Ngata only got two assisted tackles in the entire game...no sacks, no registered pressures.

648465[/snapback]

Thanks - I only watched 10 minutes or so of that game, to see Ngata. Looks like his stats are thin, but I liked seeing him tie up two linemen.

Still, there those concerns about his previous injuries.

My list:

- DT (cant start tim anderson, just cant)

- SS (Gandy is an adequate LT, Coy Wire is not an adequate SS)

- LG (Would like to upgrade Bennie, if that means a LT and Gandy shift in thats fine too)

648459[/snapback]

My prioity would be:

round 1 - DT. Draft either Ngata or Bunkley. If we can slide down a few spots and still get Bunkley that would be great. The story about Ngata not fitting the scheme is crap. He could be an impact player.

round 2 - Grab the best OT and hope that he can beat out Gandy this year. Then have Gandy compete with Fat Bennie for LG.

at center have Preston compete with Fowler

round 3 - draft a guard to push Villareal and draft a SS to push Wire/Bowen.

Right OT - stick with Peters.

stir it up and pray that a few of these rookies can play.

Davin Joseph out of Oklahoma is the solution to our LG spot.  Every new thing I hear about this kid, the more I love him.  He's strong, smart, versatile, a team player (played Guard his entire life but volunteered to take over LT when his teammate got hurt), and claims that the player he modeled his style over was former Bills guard, Ruben Brown.

I say take him in the 2nd and put the LG spot out of your mind for the next 5 years because this kid has all the tools to dominate in the NFL.  In fact, the only negative thing I've read about him is his height (only 6'3).  But even thats not such a bad thing if he's playing Guard.  As long as he's got the bulk, wingspan and strength (which he does) than his height shouldnt matter too much.

To me, he's the best choice for us in the 2nd, regardless of what we do in the first.

Here's some info on him, Draft Countdown rates him as the #1 Guard (although most sites have Giles ahead of him).

648403[/snapback]

I understand that Ruben Brown went to a bunch of pro bowls, but I thought he was quite possible the most overrated player I have ever seen. That clown had more penalties than the bills line combined.

I understand that Ruben Brown went to a bunch of pro bowls, but I thought he was quite possible the most overrated player I have ever seen. That clown had more penalties than the bills line combined.

648584[/snapback]

I agree. Isn't that kinda like a QB saying I want to be just like Trent Dilfer.

round 1 - DT.  Draft either Ngata or Bunkley.  If we can slide down a few spots and still get Bunkley that would be great.  The story about Ngata not fitting the scheme is crap.  He could be an impact player. 

648523[/snapback]

I believe that Ngata might not be right for our schemes here in Buffalo. He will probably be a good DT in this league, but I don't think he will be good for Buffalo. The type of D they are going to play rely's on speed and a certain type of player to be successful. Ngata has been compared to Adams (from what I've heard a few times) which is the kind of players most think we need because of previous defensive schemes we have had in the past, but not the one they will use next year.

And I really doubt we pick Bunkley at 8, if the bills want him I assume they trade down for him cause it would be a waste of the #8 pick getting him that early.

I still think if there, they take VD or Huff, unless they can trade down.

I believe that Ngata might not be right for our schemes here in Buffalo. He will probably be a good DT in this league, but I don't think he will be good for Buffalo. The type of D they are going to play rely's on speed and a certain type of player to be successful. Ngata has been compared to Adams (from what I've heard a few times) which is the kind of players most think we need because of previous defensive schemes we have had in the past, but not the one they will use next year.

And I really doubt we pick Bunkley at 8, if the bills want him I assume they trade down for him cause it would be a waste of the #8 pick getting him that early.

I still think if there, they take VD or Huff, unless they can trade down.

648632[/snapback]

There is an inconsistency in evaluating Adams and what he did as a Bill. When Adams was a pro bowler he had Pat Williams as the two gap guy, tying up blockers so that Adams could go to the ball. Last year Adams could not, or would not, play the role of the 2 gap DT. He did not tie up blockers and was considered by the coaches to be ineffective against the run.

In this new defense they say they want speed and people to go to the ball. Ngata has that. Adams had that. I don't get the agruement that Ngata does not fit? Scouts they say Ngata has speed, strength and size. That he can play 1 gap or 2.

Bunkley - some say he does not represent ehough value at 8th. If he project as the best DT for our scheme, and is a better prospect than any of the OTs, then why not take him. Trading down is fine but it is always a gamble that you will lose your man.

Huff- if he is there at 8 maybe we take him? Problem is I doubt we will find starters for both DT and OT in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Recent draft history has not been kind to us on either of the lines.

So it comes down to a trade-off of needs, value, and how hard it is to fill the many holes we have.

Davin Joseph out of Oklahoma is the solution to our LG spot.  Every new thing I hear about this kid, the more I love him.  He's strong, smart, versatile, a team player (played Guard his entire life but volunteered to take over LT when his teammate got hurt), and claims that the player he modeled his style over was former Bills guard, Ruben Brown.

I say take him in the 2nd and put the LG spot out of your mind for the next 5 years because this kid has all the tools to dominate in the NFL.  In fact, the only negative thing I've read about him is his height (only 6'3).  But even thats not such a bad thing if he's playing Guard.  As long as he's got the bulk, wingspan and strength (which he does) than his height shouldnt matter too much.

648403[/snapback]

Found this on another board regarding Joseph:

"Just listening to Davin Joseph on NFL Sirius Radio and the kid is impressive. Pat Kirwin is asking him about the strengths and weaknesses on a variety of DTs and Joseph is speaking with the clarity and even handedness of a football coach.

Considering the kid's measurables and his pedigree blocking at OU, I've got to believe he's going to be a 1st rounder, early 2nd rounder once teams have a chance to speak to him.

For those interested, here's a paraphrased version of his thoughts on various DTs...

Haloti Ngata, Oregon -- Quickest, most disruptive DT in this draft class. People underestimate his ability to get penetration

Brodrick Bunkley, FSU -- Strongest DT he's ever seen, potential to be the very best of this class but for now isn't a complete football player yet

Gabe Watson, Michigan -- Called him a "good" player with no discernible weaknesses but is also not "one of the best DTs in this draft."

Rod Wright, Texas -- Joseph is friends with Wright and they've been training together, so take his comments with a grain of salt. But he did say that reports re: Wright lacking passion are completely erroneous and Rod has perfect technique to be an impact player at the next level"

Based on this assessment of Ngata- all comments from the coaches are to deflect the Bills true intentions of taking Ngata at #8.

Brodrick Bunkley, FSU -- Strongest DT he's ever seen, potential to be the very best of this class but for now isn't a complete football player yet

648777[/snapback]

I don't like the sound of that. Pick 8 is too high to select a project. But what the hell this is all guess work anyway.

I don't like the sound of that.  Pick 8 is too high to select a project.  But what the hell this is all guess work anyway.

648808[/snapback]

Bunkley is Erik Flowers reincarnate. I don't like it when players move from the middle of the second round to the ...8th pick in the first round ----> After the season is over. If we grab someone who, based on FOOTBALL talent, should be picked no earlier than between 20th and 40th, I'm gonna be bummin' out on 4-29-06.

648403[/snapback]

I stand by my thoughts in January that I feel Joseph is defiantely worthy of our 2nd Round pick yet feel if we can get a OT prospect like Eric Winston (but will now admit he's more likely available with our 2nd than our 1st) and shift Gandy to LG it might be a better plan. Of course as my mock shows I also feel drafting a OG prospect later in the draft to shore up depth still important.

Bunkley is Erik Flowers reincarnate. I don't like it when players move from the middle of the second round to  the ...8th pick in the first round ----> After the season is over. If we grab  someone who, based on FOOTBALL talent, should be picked no earlier than between 20th and 40th, I'm gonna be bummin' out on 4-29-06.

648906[/snapback]

Flowers rise had more to the Bills than anything else. As most predraft publications had him as a 3rd round OLB type prospect but the Bills reached for him when he was able to run a great 40 time after putting some weight on for the combine and had a great Blue Gray game where he registered 3 sacks. Yet even with that Darren Howard still ranked ahead of him by most.

I stand by my thoughts in January that I feel Joseph is defiantely worthy of our 2nd Round pick yet feel if we can get a OT prospect like Eric Winston (but will not admit he's more likely available with our 2nd than our 1st) and shift Gandy to LG it might be a better plan. Of course as my mock shows I also feel drafting a OG prospect later in the draft to shore up depth still important.

648974[/snapback]

Thats a pretty groovy mock, I'm a big fan of Darryn Colledge myself, he's the type of guy who'll never be a huge NFL megastar but I guarantee he'll start on someone's O-Line for the next decade.

And I really like Croyle, but with Nall being signed I dont think there is much room for another QB to join the fray.

Thats a pretty groovy mock, I'm a big fan of Darryn Colledge myself, he's the type of guy who'll never be a huge NFL megastar but I guarantee he'll start on someone's O-Line for the next decade. 

And I really like Croyle, but with Nall being signed I dont think there is much room for another QB to join the fray.

648980[/snapback]

Yeah I made the mock prior to Nall's signing which means I'll probably be updating it again one more time before April 29th. Though I like what you did on day 1 of yours and like some of your day 2 picks too. My only concern is taking a RT like Whitworth in Round 3 and I have small issues with Dvoracek's background.

There would not be many Bills fans who honestly believe we can make the playoffs this year....we'd all love it to happen but it would have to take a rare thinker to truly believe it.

That being said, what does it matter(in the long run) if we have glaring holes.

I'm hoping we take the best available player with each pick, especially the #8 pick.

Either that or trade down & get more picks. If Ngata doesn't fit the system & Bunkley is a reach at #8, we should either trade down or select a different possition.