Jets may make a strong bid for Teague

Lurker

Jets | Team visits with T. Teague

Fri, 31 Mar 2006 05:38:26 -0800

Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, reports the New York Jets visited with free agent OL Trey Teague (Bills) Thursday, March 30. They may make a strong bid to sign him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teague Visits: Buffalo Bills free-agent center Trey Teague visited the Jets yesterday and they may make a strong bid to sign him.

Teague, 31, is entering his ninth NFL season. He has started the past four seasons with the Bills, including all 16 games last season. He began his career in Denver, where he started at left tackle in 2001.

With the departure of Pro Bowl center Kevin Mawae (Titans) and guard/center Jonathan Goodwin (Saints), and plans to return veteran Pete Kendall to guard, the Jets need a veteran center.

Teague, a mobile 6-5, 300 pounds, was the Bills most consistent lineman last season. Perhaps anticipating Teague's testing the free-agent market, Buffalo signed Vikings backup center Melvin Fowler last week.

Teague, a mobile 6-5, 300 pounds, was the Bills most consistent lineman last season. Perhaps anticipating Teague's testing the free-agent market, Buffalo signed Vikings backup center Melvin Fowler last week. [/i]

648210[/snapback]

This has to be the most ridiculous thing I've seen yet. How can Bills anticipate Teague's testing the free agency market by signing Fowler 3 weeks INTO the free agency period?

Teague's agent needs a better publicity person.

I can;t understand this.

Teague was playing Center but is really a Tackle. The Bills get Fowler for center and SHOULD be able to move Teague over and solve a problem...or minimally, increase their depth.

maybe it's the character thing. But he always seemed like a character kinda guy.

The Bills are crazy to let him go. If we had made some aggressive moves in free agency, or had a realistic chance of drafting Ferguson, we might have some leverage. Right now we pretty much have to sign him. Mediocre lineman, but for the bills right now mediocre is very good.

I can;t understand this.

Teague was playing Center but is really a Tackle. The Bills get Fowler for center and SHOULD be able to move Teague over and solve a problem...or minimally, increase their depth.

maybe it's the character thing. But he always seemed like a character kinda guy.

648212[/snapback]

Disagree. Trey is a marginal player, he has not stepped up as a leader, and be has no upside. It is time to move on. This is a strong draft for OT. Draft a OT in round 1 or 2 and plug him in. We are going to take lumps this year so we might as well do it with rookies.

This is just anothger indicator that its still better to be a bills fan than a Jets fan. They are constantly going in the wrong direction. They havent been a legitimate contender in years, Pennington IS and always WAS a joke. I love it.

Although none of this fixes the bills any

A speed bump would imply that he slowed someone down...he more or less just got out of their way and let everyone by him.

648359[/snapback]

BGIM...Are you saying Teague would be akin to a launching ramp to the QB???? :doh:

Buffalo Bills free-agent center Trey Teague visited the Jets yesterday and they may make a strong bid to sign him.

[/i]

648210[/snapback]

That part does amuse me. Do the Jets realize that Teague has been a free-agent since day one of free agency? If they are making a "strong bid" they are bidding against themselves!

I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but Trey Teauge is no worse than any of the linemen the Bills have signed since free agency began...I know, he is no longer a Bill, so he must be sh--! Have the last five years taught anyone anything? Bottom line, Teauge was playing a position that was not his strength (remember, he came to Buffalo as an "up and coming" left tackle from Denver. He was promptly moved to the center position, and was not happy about it. He knew playing center was not his strength. Like a lot of players in the last five years, he was misused...I would be thrilled if the Bills signed a linemen with Teauges' experience for pocket change...it is easy to oversimplify everything, but Teauge played pretty well, at times. True, he needs help from his guards, but that is yet another weakness. I hardly think Trey Teauge has been the weak link of the Bills offensive line....

I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but Trey Teauge is no worse than any of the linemen the Bills have signed since free agency began...I know, he is no longer a Bill, so he must be sh--!  Have the last five years taught anyone anything?  Bottom line, Teauge was playing a position that was not his strength (remember, he came to Buffalo as an "up and coming" left tackle from Denver. He was promptly moved to the center position, and was not happy about it.  He knew playing center was not his strength.  Like a lot of players in the last five years, he was misused...I would be thrilled if the Bills signed a linemen with Teauges' experience for pocket change...it is easy to oversimplify everything, but Teauge played pretty well, at times.  True, he needs help from his guards, but that is yet another weakness.  I hardly think Trey Teauge has been the weak link of the Bills offensive line....

649056[/snapback]

No --- Teague came to Buffalo as a flop at left tackle for Denver. He was a promising backup and when the time came for him to start he failed to met the high standards of a Denver OL, so they let he go in free agency after one season as a starter.

TD, being the almighty football guru, talked his first Stooge (Gregggggg) into moving Teague to center. TD, being the almight football guru, cut Dusty Ziegler (who went on to start in the Super Bowl for the NY Giants) and tried to replace him with Bill Conatry first, and then Teague.

Teague was servicable at best, but never a strong center. I never remember him being an "up and comer". Ditto for Bennie Anderson or Mike Gandy. They were all guys that started briefly and then failed.

Th only OL we have sign thus far is Fowler and we don't know if he is better than Teague or not.

I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but Trey Teauge is no worse than any of the linemen the Bills have signed since free agency began...I know, he is no longer a Bill, so he must be sh--!  Have the last five years taught anyone anything?  Bottom line, Teauge was playing a position that was not his strength (remember, he came to Buffalo as an "up and coming" left tackle from Denver.

649056[/snapback]

Uhhhh, nooooooooo. Teague sucked as a tackle for Denver, that's why the didn't even attempt to resign him.

No --- Teague came to Buffalo as a flop at left tackle for Denver.  He was a promising backup and when the time came for him to start he failed to met the high standards of a Denver OL, so they let he go in free agency after one season as a starter. 

TD, being the almighty football guru, talked his first Stooge (Gregggggg) into moving Teague to center.  TD, being the almight football guru, cut Dusty Ziegler (who went on to start in the Super Bowl for the NY Giants) and tried to replace him with Bill Conatry first, and then Teague. 

Teague was servicable at best, but never a strong center.  I never remember him being an "up and comer".  Ditto for Bennie Anderson or Mike Gandy.  They were all guys that started briefly and then failed. 

Th only OL we have sign thus far is Fowler and we don't know if he is better than Teague or not.

649190[/snapback]

And the epitome of the awesome idea of moving Teague to center was watching him hike the ball OVER Drew Bledsoe's head...a 6'5" tall QB no less!

Not attempting to get Teague back in the fold falls into Marv's plan of rebuilding this team with younger kids...