JP Johnson

-The Bills signing of Craig Nall cannot be a vote of confidence for JP. It is still too early to judge JP and if he will be a bust or not. He needs more experience and a good offensive line in front of him. But i am biting my tongue because he was drafted by that GM guru, Tom donohoe. Which means he probably is another bust! Does Losman remind Bills fan of another player from Southern California, with similar size,a great arm, the ability to run, but was indecisive and held onto the ball too long - namely Rob"sack-em" Johnson, who is probably surfing naked with Todd Marinovich at this moment in SoCal.

-The positive about Nall is that he comes from a system that is known for grooming QB's and he has good size. We'll have to wait and see, but JP doesn't look like he has that moxie to be a good QB, or the brains. :doh:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I mentioned in another post, while the signing of Nall may not be a vote of confidence for JP -- at the very least it (along with Marv's associated comments about the signing) likely means that JP will at least be with the club on opening day. That is to say that a first round draft pick in April would have almost certainly signaled the end of JP in Buffalo. By signing a career backup to a contract with a signing bonus big enough to assure that he is not camp fodder, the team has taken the first round draft option off the table. (Marv also said as much after the Nall signing.) Thus, JP will be here at least through 2006, so I believe that rumors of his departure are bogus.

If Nall is what I expect, then he will give JP quality competition without being a genuine threat to him. Of course, if Nall is better than I expect, well, that can't be all bad either.

I am still pulling for JP, but honestly, Johnson showed a lot more "flashes of brilliance" early on. Remember, when he became the Bills starter in 1998, before the first of countless injuries, he put up some flashy numbers, and kept us in a number of games. He also didn't throw the clutch int's that JP did (against the Dolphins) with the game on the line...Johnson took some time to prove that he couldn't play, and remain injury free...I remember during Johnson's early days as the Bills starter, some very impressive performances against the Rams (a loss), and a decent 49'ers team (a win). It was really Johnson's inability to stay healthy (whether injuries were mental or physical) that did him in, more than his inability to play QB.

JP got out of the chute very slowly, and didn't really show much, if any, flashes until his second stint as a starter.

What gives me hope for JP is that he actually did show improvement the second time around, while Johson regressed as time went on....

Johnsons biggest downfall was his inability to stay healthy. He would have been a good QB for Buffalo if he could stay on the field cause he had talent. The problem was he is really fit and not much body fat so hits hurt alot more cause he doesn't have the cushion of having body fat to absorb hits, therfore he is more injury prone. He also decided sacks were better then interceptions so he was willing to get sacked then make a bad throw, which led to injuries cause he would get hit more.

Agreed we need a good beer drinking QB with some meat on his bones. And wash those beers down with some wings.

Johnsons biggest downfall was his inability to stay healthy. He would have been a good QB for Buffalo if he could stay on the field cause he had talent. The problem was he is really fit and not much body fat so hits hurt alot more cause he doesn't have the cushion of having body fat to absorb hits, therfore he is more injury prone. He also decided sacks were better then interceptions so he was willing to get sacked then make a bad throw, which led to injuries cause he would get hit more.

640169[/snapback]

640169[/snapback]

The part about staying on the field and not getting injured i'm onboard with.....but the part about being too fit to be able to absorb hits....you def lost me with that one......take any of the speed guys and apply this theory....I bet Moulds has Body fat under 6%....McGahee is very fit.....Lee Evans.....there's no way that theory holds any water whatsoever.

I am still pulling for JP, but honestly, Johnson showed a lot more "flashes of brilliance" early on.  Remember, when he became the Bills starter in 1998, before the first of countless injuries, he put up some flashy numbers, and kept us in a number of games.  He also didn't throw the clutch int's that JP did (against the Dolphins) with the game on the line...Johnson took some time to prove that he couldn't play, and remain injury free...I remember during Johnson's early days as the Bills starter, some very impressive performances against the Rams (a loss), and a decent 49'ers team (a win). It was really Johnson's inability to stay healthy (whether injuries were mental or physical) that did him in, more than his inability to play QB. 

JP got out of the chute very slowly, and didn't really show much, if any, flashes until his second stint as a starter. 

What gives me hope for JP is that he actually did show improvement the second time around, while Johson regressed as time went on....

640165[/snapback]

If not for "Homerun Throwback", Johnson would have led the Bills to an unbelievable playoff win. Yes, I think he was a tool but he did have his good moments as well.

-The Bills signing of Craig Nall cannot be a vote of confidence for JP. It is still too early to judge JP and if he will be a bust or not. He needs more experience and a good offensive line in front of him. But i am biting my tongue because he was drafted by that GM guru, Tom donohoe. Which means he probably is another bust! Does Losman remind Bills fan of another player from Southern California, with similar size,a great arm, the ability to run, but was indecisive and held onto the ball too long - namely Rob"sack-em" Johnson, who is probably surfing naked with Todd Marinovich at this moment in SoCal.

-The positive about Nall is that he comes from a system that is known for grooming QB's and he has good size. We'll have to wait and see, but JP doesn't look like he has that moxie to be a good QB, or the brains. :doh:

640040[/snapback]

The signing of Nall is not an indication that the new braintrust does not have confidence in him. The idea is crystal clear to me-JP was handed a job from what the veterans belive is one of the top 3 qbs in the leaugue(drew Bledsoe). He never earned the respect of his peers because he was given the car and the keys without any competition. They know he will beat out any rookie from the draft coming in so bringing in someone who will fight just as hard for the starting job as Holcomb and JP means that if JP wins he will have the respect to go with it because he competed and the team sees that the best QB won and it was a fair competition.

Personally I see Nall winning the compettition "this year" with JP as the Back up and Holcomb playing third or released.

As far as the comparison to RJ well first-JP is not Brittle. JP is a Leader. JP is smarter than RJ. JP is not the sack target the RJ was. JP is far more talented than RJ. JP hopefully will be ready to show this year hes deserving to be a starter in the NFL. However, I think Nall wins it out this year. JP learns alot this year and will get an oprrotunity next year which will be a prime year for him.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BUF/7611354

I will reiterrate a point that very few on here pay attention to. In JPs first year during preseason he broke his leg he was unable to "practice" for 10-12 weeks. He was off to a great start in preseason giving all of his fans hope that he was going to be a great player. So compile the fact of a player trying t regain preinjury form with the fact that he didnt compete for the starting job and that spells disaster which he faced last season. However, he did improve form the first half starting to the second half starting which indicates he could be ready this year or he might need one more true year to show the greatness he showed during the preseason prior to his leg breaking. All the fans were excite about him, bootlegs, rollouts, his ability to scramble and the crispness he had on the balls. JP had a rookie year last year and i dont fault him for his situation, but what i do state is if he is the starter this year its becasue he truly earned it.

The final thing i will state and you can take it to the bank I know I am 100% right. JP will not be released or traded period. His contract is so cap freindly for our team he could be the third stringer with out us worrying about cap dollars of the QBs. He signed an incentive laden deal which means the more he plays the more he earns the less he plays well the less he earns all 3 qbs are going to make around 1.5 mil this year thats 4.5 mil less than the lowest tiered NFL starting QB alone.

Guest BackInDaDay
The problem was he is really fit and not much body fat so hits hurt alot more cause he doesn't have the cushion of having body fat to absorb hits, therfore he is more injury prone.

640169[/snapback]

Whoooohooo! I'm ready to play! :doh:

I am still pulling for JP, but honestly, Johnson showed a lot more "flashes of brilliance" early on.  Remember, when he became the Bills starter in 1998, before the first of countless injuries, he put up some flashy numbers, and kept us in a number of games.  He also didn't throw the clutch int's that JP did (against the Dolphins) with the game on the line...Johnson took some time to prove that he couldn't play, and remain injury free...I remember during Johnson's early days as the Bills starter, some very impressive performances against the Rams (a loss), and a decent 49'ers team (a win). It was really Johnson's inability to stay healthy (whether injuries were mental or physical) that did him in, more than his inability to play QB. 

640165[/snapback]

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1033

The other thing that should give you hope is this is going to be JP's 3rd NFL season where RJ came to us going on his 4th nfl season and couldnt beat out a 40 year old QB.

The signing of Nall is not an indication that the new braintrust does not have confidence in him. The idea is crystal clear to me-JP was handed a job from what the veterans belive is one of the top 3 qbs in the leaugue(drew Bledsoe). He never earned the respect of his peers because he was given the car and the keys without any competition. They know he will beat out any rookie from the draft coming in so bringing in someone who will fight just as hard for the starting job as Holcomb and JP means that if JP wins he will have the respect to go with it because he competed and the team sees that the best QB won and it was a fair competition.

Personally I see Nall winning the compettition "this year" with JP as the Back up and Holcomb playing third or released.

As far as the comparison to RJ well first-JP is not Brittle. JP is a Leader. JP is smarter than RJ. JP is not the sack target the RJ was. JP is far more talented than RJ. JP hopefully will be ready to show this year hes deserving to be a starter in the NFL. However, I think Nall wins it out this year. JP learns alot this year and will get an oprrotunity next year which will be a prime year for him.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BUF/7611354

I will reiterrate a point that very few on here pay attention to. In JPs first year during preseason he broke his leg he was unable to "practice" for 10-12 weeks. He was off to a great start in preseason giving all of his fans hope that he was going to be a great player. So compile the fact of a player trying t regain preinjury form with the fact that he didnt compete for the starting job and that spells disaster which he faced last season. However, he did improve form the first half starting to the second half starting which indicates he could be ready this year or he might need one more true year to show the greatness he showed during the preseason prior to his leg breaking. All the fans were excite about him, bootlegs, rollouts, his ability to scramble and the crispness he had on the balls. JP had a rookie year last year and i dont fault him for his situation, but what i do state is if he is the starter this year its becasue he truly earned it.

The final thing i will state and you can take it to the bank I know I am 100% right. JP will not be released or traded period. His contract is so cap freindly for our team he could be the third stringer with out us worrying about cap dollars of the QBs. He signed an incentive laden deal which means the more he plays the more he earns the less he plays well the less he earns all 3 qbs are going to make around 1.5 mil this year thats 4.5 mil less than the lowest tiered NFL starting QB alone.

640232[/snapback]

Nice post! I think mostly along these same lines, and you back your argument well here.

Guest BackInDaDay
JP was handed a job from what the veterans belive is one of the top 3 qbs in the leaugue(drew Bledsoe). He never earned the respect of his peers because he was given the car and the keys without any competition. They know he will beat out any rookie from the draft coming in so bringing in someone who will fight just as hard for the starting job as Holcomb and JP means that if JP wins he will have the respect to go with it because he competed and the team sees that the best QB won and it was a fair competition.

640232[/snapback]

This is not HS! and it's not a democracy! The last coach and GM did not make the type of commitment necessary to develope a young QB. The ENTIRE TEAM - Offense, Defense and STs need to be on-board. The QB's success could have been a unifying goal, but those shmucks let the opportunity get away.

Nall was brought in because he showed something in NFLE and against the Bears.

As limited as his playing time has been, he's probably considered an upgrade over JP.

JP is not Brittle. JP is a Leader. JP is smarter than RJ. JP is not the sack target the RJ was. JP is far more talented than RJ.

640232[/snapback]

JP got screwed, but that's life.

Curious, what the heck do you base all of that "JP this" and "JP that" on?

The final thing i will state and you can take it to the bank I know I am 100% right.

640232[/snapback]

Wow. I mean, wow.

I just look at Nall as being a good, young (but experienced) backup with some upside. No big conspiracy thing against JP. Holcomb's an effective #2 / spot starter, but he's getting long in the tooth and has no real upside--what you see is what you get.

Now the QB position has three candidates who bring three different styles and strength/weakness skill sets to the table and they can fight it out in camp.

The part about staying on the field and not getting injured i'm onboard with.....but the part about being too fit to be able to absorb hits....you def lost me with that one......take any of the speed guys and apply this theory....I bet Moulds has Body fat under 6%....McGahee is very fit.....Lee Evans.....there's no way that theory holds any water whatsoever.

640206[/snapback]

I had heard that they said RJ was the type of player who worked out alot and had almost no body fat. The problem is the fat acts as a cushion when you take a hit and your body can absorb the hits better. Not saying that it is the only reason he got hurt, but it contributed to alot of them.

The reason a WR doesn't get hurt as often is because they usual don't get taken down by 280-350lb lineman, they get hit by safeties, CB, and LB's who are typically smaller then a lineman.

Does Losman remind Bills fan of another player from Southern California, with similar size,a great arm, the ability to run, but was indecisive and held onto the ball too long - namely Rob"sack-em" Johnson, who is probably surfing naked with Todd Marinovich at this moment in SoCal.

640040[/snapback]

Other than their physical talent, NO. They are VERY different kind of guys, from what I hear.

Other than their physical talent, NO.  They are VERY different kind of guys, from what I hear.

640376[/snapback]

Jp's brain seems to work like he is on speed, while RJ's worked like he had just smoked a big fat J. :doh: