Reggie Wells - OL - tendered offer sheet

well it sure seems that the bills want this guy bad, but i still think theres a possibility of getting him, the cards stated earlier in the week they would most likely match any offers made, UNLESS they were an outragous high amount...and folks that is exactly what we offered Wells, big big money

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have gave him a $14 million/1 year contract so Arizona couldn't match just to PO Dennis Green. The Cardinals are about the only team left Bills fans can laugh at.

634293[/snapback]

"Excuse me, Mr. Wilson. I have a proposition for you. It involves spending your money."

"You mean the money I've worked my whole life earning?"

"Um, yes. You see, this proposition involves a $14 million check to an offensive lineman."

"Well, I strongly feel the Bills should upgrade their offensive line. How many Pro Bowls has this guy been to?"

"Um, none."

"Okay then. How many years is the deal for? With this big a check, I'd think it'd have to be for at least five years."

"Um, actually Ralph, it's for just one year."

"Well, I do know left tackle is important, but even with the higher cap I can't see paying a guy $14 million for a year."

"Um, actually Ralph, the guy we're looking at is a guard."

"A guard? A guard! You're paying $14 million for one year of having a guard? And he's not even a Pro Bowler?"

"Well, you see Mr. Wilson, at least this gets him away from Arizona. That way we can still laugh at them."

"It's us laughing at them, hah?"

"Um, that's kind of the hope."

"Well, I guess I must not be smart enough to figure out how this plan is going to work."

Are we signing him to play gurad or center? We have both our starting guards from last year (bad as Bennie is) and a left tackle better suited to play inside. On the other hand, we lost our starting center and don't have anyone else on the roster who has played there.

Bills | Arizona expected to match Wells' offer sheet

Sun, 19 Mar 2006 06:25:06 -0800

Kent Somers, of the Arizona Republic, reports the Arizona Cardinals likely will match the Buffalo Bills' offer sheet to OG Reggie Wells, a restricted free agent, Cardinals vice president for football operations Rod Graves said. Cardinals officials will meet early this week to make a final determination, but Graves said he expects the club will keep Wells. "Our position all along is we wanted to keep Reggie," he said, "and I think that's probably what we'll do."

Bills | Arizona expected to match Wells' offer sheet

Sun, 19 Mar 2006 06:25:06 -0800

Kent Somers, of the Arizona Republic, reports the Arizona Cardinals likely will match the Buffalo Bills' offer sheet to OG Reggie Wells, a restricted free agent, Cardinals vice president for football operations Rod Graves said. Cardinals officials will meet early this week to make a final determination, but Graves said he expects the club will keep Wells. "Our position all along is we wanted to keep Reggie," he said, "and I think that's probably what we'll do."

635135[/snapback]

Well if Arizona matches....I hope it is soon...so the Bills can explore other options before it is too late

I wouldn't get too excited. Just like Pickett, people come to us to determine their value, then go home and get the same jack from their existing team. We're simply being used, repeatedly I might add, as leverage. This is the best way for the Cardinals to negotiate without having to negotiate.

There's nothing wrong with getting leverage during the negotiation process, but I wish the Bills wouldn't waste their own time helping further other people's careers with other teams.

634678[/snapback]

I'm pretty certain you're joking. You almost always make sense...and this post makes none...so this is a spoof. Right?

There is NO downside to making these offers. Worst case scenario, we make other teams pay more for these guys...which is good. Even if these guys don't become Bills, it establishes the team as a "player" for FAs in the minds of the players and agents...again, a good thing.

I'm positive (absolutely certain) that the Bills have NOT missed out on a player they wanted because they were busy negotiating with these RFAs...so no time is "wasted". It's Marv's (and his staff's) job to do the very thing they are doing. They should be having meetings with players and agents 12+ hours a day right now.

But...you were joking, so pay no attention to the above post.

Well if Arizona matches....I hope it is soon...so the Bills can explore other options before it is too late

635137[/snapback]

I'm pretty certain you're joking.  You almost always make sense...and this post makes none...so this is a spoof.  Right?

There is NO downside to making these offers.  Worst case scenario, we make other teams pay more for these guys...which is good.  Even if these guys don't become Bills, it establishes the team as a "player" for FAs in the minds of the players and agents...again, a good thing.

I'm positive (absolutely certain) that the Bills have NOT missed out on a player they wanted because they were busy negotiating with these RFAs...so no time is "wasted".  It's Marv's (and his staff's) job to do the very thing they are doing.  They should be having meetings with players and agents 12+ hours a day right now.

635213[/snapback]

I think the reason for them to wait is because the longer it takes for them to match it, the longer it stays on the Bills' cap and off theirs. it's not much, but what's the rush for them to match it?

I think the reason for them to wait is because the longer it takes for them to match it, the longer it stays on the Bills' cap and off theirs.  it's not much, but what's the rush for them to match it?

635251[/snapback]

There's no reason to rush from Arizona's stand point unless they want to do the decent thing and let Wells what their plan is.

I think the reason for them to wait is because the longer it takes for them to match it, the longer it stays on the Bills' cap and off theirs.  it's not much, but what's the rush for them to match it?

635251[/snapback]

I might be wrong, but I doubt this is on the Bills cap...it's only an offer.

Cardinals vice president of football operations Rod Gravessaid it is likely the team will match the five-year, $17.6 million offer sheet Wells — a restricted free agent — received from Buffalo Friday.

“I expect a decision to come sooner rather than draw it out,” Graves said. “But unless there is something bizarre in the contract (language), we’ll expect to have him back.”

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=61429

I'm pretty certain you're joking.  You almost always make sense...and this post makes none...so this is a spoof.  Right?

There is NO downside to making these offers.  Worst case scenario, we make other teams pay more for these guys...which is good.  Even if these guys don't become Bills, it establishes the team as a "player" for FAs in the minds of the players and agents...again, a good thing.

I'm positive (absolutely certain) that the Bills have NOT missed out on a player they wanted because they were busy negotiating with these RFAs...so no time is "wasted".  It's Marv's (and his staff's) job to do the very thing they are doing.  They should be having meetings with players and agents 12+ hours a day right now.

635213[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm joking to a degree...in particular, the part about using your time better. But if you've ever tried to hire someone of value, you know it's a bit of work to eliminate barriers and carve out a deal that is mutually beneficial. It fully sucks when the person calls you up after giving notice at his old place of business and says "Oh, they matched your offer and gave me a promotion, so I'm staying here."

I hate that. !@#$ing hate it.

Yeah, I'm joking to a degree...in particular, the part about using your time better. But if you've ever tried to hire someone of value, you know it's a bit of work to eliminate barriers and carve out a deal that is mutually beneficial. It fully sucks when the person calls you up after giving notice at his old place of business and says "Oh, they matched your offer and gave me a promotion, so I'm staying here."

I hate that. !@#$ing hate it.

636055[/snapback]

Hey, I hear ya...but, it goes with the territory. It's all part of the grand game...a really crappy part, I might add.

Wells meets with Cards today

linky

636444[/snapback]

“One way or another it is going to work out,” Wells stated. “Unless somebody is really unhappy, I don’t think anybody necessarily wants to pick up and move from somewhere they have been for three years. If it comes down to that I know that I have been treated with nothing but respect and kindness around here and I’ll understand that. But if it works out, I see big things in the future here.”

NEXT!

Yeah, that's how I read it too.  Time to move on and look for another LG option.

636453[/snapback]

He signed the offer sheet, didn't he? All things being equal, he's right: most people generally don't want to move arbitrarily every three years.

He'll play where he's paid. Pure and simple.

Why do people have to read between the lines all the time? Sheesh.

He signed the offer sheet, didn't he?

636539[/snapback]

sh-- yeah he did. He had 3 million reasons to do so. Now he'll get paid that by sombody in 2006, no matter where he is.

The fact he loves his O-line coach in AZ and has Edge to block for should pretty much put the nail in the coffin on that FA signing, even though I give Marv a thumbs up for trying it.