Quotes from Donahoe on Jaguars website

“That's a great signing,” former Bills president Tom Donahoe told jaguars.com. “The media (in Buffalo) keep describing him as a bust. He's not a bust. This past year he had some injury problems that set him back. He's like all young offensive linemen. His first couple of years he felt his way; 2004 was his best year. Jim McNally (offensive line coach) said on numerous occasions (Williams) was as good as any big man he's ever coached.”

Donahoe drafted Williams in '02 and remains as convinced now as he was then that Williams can be a star player in the league.

“If you wanna run the football, he's the guy you want on your offensive line. He's a dominating run-blocker when he's healthy. He mashes guys. He knocks guys 10 yards off the ball,” Donahoe said.

“This is an outstanding signing. What got him in the doghouse last year are the injuries. He was getting into the big years of his contract. They were too high. If Mike's healthy, he will definitely upgrade their line. He's young and has a lot of football ahead of him,” Donahoe added.

Donahoe is still blaming the media!!

What a thin skinned little girlie man!!

I was laughing at the comments too.

Donahoe is a friggin tool.

So Donahoe must have missed Mike staying on the taping table for most of practices and being a slob?

Yeah okay whatever.......

As far as what he said about Jim McNallys comments on him, I think he is full of it because McNally didnt seem to thrilled about a month ago when he was talking about Peters and being excited about him. I think Donahoe got McNallys comments about Williams mixed up with Peters.

Mike Williams is a fricken bust....

It is as simple as that....HE WONT PLAY HURT

Weak minded

628618[/snapback]

His achilles heel was his breast...

Mike Williams is a fricken bust....

It is as simple as that....HE WONT PLAY HURT

Weak minded

628618[/snapback]

Mike Williams was a dominatig RT when we ran the ball....WM first 8 games

had 6 100 yard performances all attributed to running on the right side.....

When Williams was replaced, our running game went south.....

628635[/snapback]

Exactly. And Brown sucked when we cut him, yet the Bears think he is pretty damn good. I am glad the guys on this site don't evaluate talent for the Bills.

It may also have been that JM made that comment a year and a half ago when JM first got here. He watched MW and said wow! But at that point, he didn't yet realize how soft the guy is. Plus physically, that statement may still be true. He may be as good as anyone he's coached WHEN he wants t oplay.

I was laughing at the comments too.

Donahoe is a friggin tool.

So Donahoe must have missed Mike staying on the taping table for most of practices and being a slob?

Yeah okay whatever.......

As far as what he said about Jim McNallys comments on him, I think he is full of it because McNally didnt seem to thrilled about a month ago when he was talking about Peters and being excited about him. I think Donahoe got McNallys comments about Williams mixed up with Peters.

628627[/snapback]

Well... I dont consider bust, moreso that he was cut due to his cap figure. Had Mike Williams been taken outside of the top 10 in the draft, and had a more friendly cap number, he would still be on this team. Donahoe wont quote that because he was the one who agreed to a crazy contract for a rookie RT, and it cam eback to bite him in the arse.

Exactly.  And Brown sucked when we cut him, yet the Bears think he is pretty damn good.  I am glad the guys on this site don't evaluate talent for the Bills.

628637[/snapback]

Agreed. Mikes problem has been Injuries and Intensity, not skill.... It was still probably the right move for us to cut him though considering the salary. TD IS right, but does fail to mention the intensity/motivation factor....

Exactly.  And Brown sucked when we cut him, yet the Bears think he is pretty damn good.  I am glad the guys on this site don't evaluate talent for the Bills.

628637[/snapback]

Don't you think Marv consulted McNally before releasing him? If Mouse thought that highly of him, they would have tried to restructure his contract.

Don't you think Marv consulted McNally before releasing him?   If Mouse thought that highly of him, they would have tried to restructure his contract.

628671[/snapback]

I wasn't aware that you worked for the Bills front office or Mike Williams agent? Sorry, I didn't have inside info to dertermine if they tried or not. :P

And don't use the Mcnally defense on me, because he sucks, IMO. He is the first coach after meathead that I wanted cut.

628637[/snapback]

I'm glad you don't, you'd rely strictly on some scouting report from scoutsinc.com (like the one you provided saying Vernon Davis lacks elite speed as a TE). I blame most of the lack of running production on the interior of the line. Soon after Williams went down something happened to Chris V. because he just wasn't the same player the second half of the season. Peters CAN run block and did good job last year if you watch the film...the second Jets game was an incredible performance by such a young O-lineman, he absolutely dominated that game. Williams was a very good run blocker but was a liability as a pass blocker IMHO (especially when he falls on the QBs head after giving up a sack). I think the change of scenery and the fact that he knows he's being labled a bust might finally motivate him to live up to his potential..but IMHO it wasn't going to happen in Buffalo. Those bridges (with the fans, coaches, media) had all been burned, not to mention the daunting task of restructuring that massive contract. I hope he does well, but it was the right move to let him go.

628635[/snapback]

I respect your opinion on this ganesh but I just dont agree.....

Mike Williams represents everything that has been wrong with the bills since we last made the playoffs (which by the way has been a LOOOONG time)

Mike isn't one of thos gritty lunchpail guys who gives everything he has and has to be carried out on his shield types that I love....

He is one of those ultra freak, ultra talented players who is just plan soft....and to be honest we have a LOT of that type of attitude on this team and it has to fricken go. That is why this team is folding when it meets adversity.

I'm glad you don't, you'd rely strictly on some scouting report from scoutsinc.com (like the one you provided saying Vernon Davis lacks elite speed as a TE). I blame most of the lack of running production on the interior of the line.  Soon after Williams went down something happened to Chris V. because he just wasn't the same player the second half of the season.  Peters CAN run block and did good job last year if you watch the film...the second Jets game was an incredible performance by such a young O-lineman, he absolutely dominated that game.  Williams was a very good run blocker but was a liability as a pass blocker IMHO (especially when he falls on the QBs head after giving up a sack).  I think the change of scenery and the fact that he knows he's being labled a bust might finally motivate him to live up to his potential..but IMHO it wasn't going to happen in Buffalo.  Those bridges (with the fans, coaches, media) had all been burned, not to mention the daunting task of restructuring that massive contract.  I hope he does well, but it was the right move to let him go.

628681[/snapback]

No, I use the scouting to backup what I see. Big difference. I think Davis is a good TE, just not for us, in our situation.

As far as Big Mike goes, no he was was overpaid, and he didn't play up to his level of draft pick, but if he could have gotten a pay cut, I would have kept him. And IMHO he is a far better RT then Peters.

I respect your opinion on this ganesh but I just dont agree.....

Mike Williams represents everything that has been wrong with the bills since we last made the playoffs (which by the way has been a LOOOONG time)

Mike isn't one of thos gritty lunchpail guys who gives everything he has and has to be carried out on his shield types that I love....

He is one of those ultra freak, ultra talented players who is just plan soft....and to be honest we have a LOT of that type of attitude on this team and it has to fricken go.  That is why this team is folding when it meets adversity.

628689[/snapback]

Very true comment. I have been saying the same thing to my co-workers for a long time. I had more fun when VanPelt as the QB and Bryson was our RB during that 4 win season than last year. I would rather have a bunch of nobodys working there butt off and losing than a bunch of me/lazy/ star players that Donahoe brought in. I love Marvs moves so far and I trust him. He helped build those 90s teams. We need to cut the lazy and laxed and get some players in here that want to go hard every down.

And don't use the Mcnally defense on me, because he sucks, IMO.  He is the first coach after meathead that I wanted cut.

628678[/snapback]

I didn't know that you were almost a highly quallified NFL O-line coach before you blew your knee out... :P

I won't dismiss everything that TD said here. However, while Big Mike was at times very good, he was never consistent enough to merit his #4 selection -- and he certainly did not deserve the huge paycheck he was receiving. When it's all said and done -- and we look back on the cap space that he occupied each year, it is almost ironic that this highly touted offensive lineman was as big of a reason for the failure of the TD era as anything else. I say ironic because TD is comdemned for his lack of attention to the OL.

Far be it for me to call any player a sissy, especially a lineman -- because I know these guys play through pain EVERY week. The problem is that being tough enough to do this goes with the territory, and one of the prerequisites to being an NFL OL is that you MUST be able to withstand an inordinate amount of pain. I think, when it is all said and done, Big Mike simply did not have this rare attribute.