Moulds demands release or trade.....

sven233

It's probably time for the Bills and Moulds to part ways. But Moulds has been acting increasingly selfish lately, so the Bills don't need to go out of their way to make his life easier. If that means holding onto Moulds for a while, so as to maximize whatever on earth we can get for him in a trade, so be it. And if at the end of the day Moulds makes a few million less so that the Bills can get a 7th round pick out of him, I'd be perfectly fine with that.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if so, it is a pretty sucky way to go about it.

628098[/snapback]

Did you read the article? What's so sucky about it? The agent laid it out to the team on Friday, didn't say anything for the whole weekend, as all these deals are going on...it's not like the demand was made to the press first. He's just asking for them not to hold onto him until June/July/August just because they can...

Did you read the article?  What's so sucky about it?  The agent laid it out to the team on Friday, didn't say anything for the whole weekend, as all these deals are going on...it's not like the demand was made to the press first.  He's just asking for them not to hold onto him until June/July/August just because they can...

628112[/snapback]

Bills: EM, we want you to restructure, with a reduction in pay.

EM: Tough, we have a contract.

EM: I want to be traded, or released.

Bills: Tough - we have a contract.

Sounds like negotiation to me, only now the media is involved. Despite the posturing, this is the guy I believe...

Marv: We still want to retain him (Moulds), and we're proceeding on that basis.

Marv: We still want to retain him (Moulds), and we're proceeding on that basis.

628126[/snapback]

So, do you think, like I do, that Moulds stays with the Bills another year. The Bills are trying to get Moulds to blink, and agree to a pay cut. If he won't, the Bills will still retain him at his current contract price? All of the "posturing" is coming from Moulds camp, and they don't really have any power in the end. All the Bills and Levy have said, right along, is that they want to retain Moulds. It just seems to me they would have released him by now, if they were going to.

It seems like all of the Bills other options, as far as free agent acquisitions, are quickly drying up. This "delay", if that is indeed what this is, is hurting the Bills as much as it is Moulds. Personally, I think unless someone makes a trade offer to the Bills that they can't refuse (maybe Moulds and our second round pick to Denver for one of their first rounders?), the number #80 jersey will still say Moulds on the back, next season...

I think Moulds and his guys are finally realizing that the Bills hold all the cards here. Moulds IS under contract. They don't have to do anything if they don't want to. They can keep him at his current number, cut him WHEN THEY WANT TO, trade him WHEN THEY WANT TO, etc.

I realize they have to make a decision sooner or later, but as of right now, Moulds is their property and they make the call on their time, not Moulds' time. Moulds is starting to realize that if the Bills drag this out, and then cut him, he will probably playing for much less in a couple months than he would now. He is getting anxious.

But, I say let the Bills take their time and decide exactly what they want to do. If they have the cap room in the end and they can pay the salary he is currently at, that's fine. Everyone has to realize that Moulds is really only playing for around 5-5.5 mil next year, not 10 mil as the cap hit suggests. We are stuck paying half of it anyways, so I don't really consider it that bad. With the money that receivers of less than his calibur are getting on the FA market, Moulds is right in line with the contracts they are getting! So, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have him play for the other half of his money.

What other receiver out there is going to give us his size and his talent for that money, or even a little less? So, it doesn't matter what Moulds is crying about, it is all up to the Bills at this point!

So, do you think, like I do, that Moulds stays with the Bills another year.  The Bills are trying to get Moulds to blink, and agree to a pay cut.  If he won't, the Bills will still retain him at his current contract price?  All of the "posturing" is coming from Moulds camp, and they don't really have any power in the end.  All the Bills and Levy have said, right along, is that they want to retain Moulds. It just seems to me they would have released him by now, if they were going to. 

It seems like all of the Bills other options, as far as free agent acquisitions, are quickly drying up.  This "delay", if that is indeed what this is, is hurting the Bills as much as it is Moulds.  Personally, I think unless someone makes a trade offer to the Bills that they can't refuse (maybe Moulds and our second round pick to Denver for one of their first rounders?), the number #80 jersey will still say Moulds on the back, next season...

628153[/snapback]

Most definitely I think (and hope) Moulds will be here this season - but it will most likely be his last in Buffalo, unless he agrees to restructure. The cap hit is less painful if they release him next season.

Regarding the delay, it will certainly hurt EM if the Bills do end up releasing him, but I never thought they would just release the guy and allow him to go where he wants - like New England, Miami, etc. Controlling where he goes though a trade (to Philly or Denver) makes much more sense.

IMO, The only way the delay hurts the Bills - again, if were to release Moulds - is how other players and agents around the league would feel about Bills management for stringing Moulds along just to reduce his bargaining power in the FA market.

IMO, The only way the delay hurts the Bills - again, if were to release Moulds - is how other players and agents around the league would feel about Bills management for stringing Moulds along just to reduce his bargaining power in the FA market.

628164[/snapback]

The delay hurts the Bills, should they actually release him, because the top WR free agents are being snatched up very quickly. David Givens and Terrell Owens are the only available free agents that would not represent a big dip in quality from Moulds. I have never been a huge Moulds fan, but I like him enough. I think Bills fans, as they are ones to do when it looks like someone is going to be an ex-Bill, are really overexaggerating the deterioration of his game, just as they overestimated it when they still loved him...

I had the opportunity to see the debacle in San Antonio this past season, against the Saints. Moulds was a man among men that day....unfortunately, he had a baby trying to throw the ball to him...Moulds didn't give up on any plays, even as it was apparent the QB wasn't going to be getting him the ball that day. He fought double teams, got open most plays...he couldn't have given much more effort that day...a big contrast to the performance against Dallas the previous season.

It seems obvious that the Bills will have to draft a WR somewhere in the first 3 or 4 rounds this year. I think, like the Pat Williams thing on defense, people underestimate what prescence means to his teammates. Lee Evans, not to mention JP Losman (if he is still "the man") could suffer a lot, teamed up with Clay Aiken, Fred Smith, Andre Davis, or any of the other guys currently on the roster. A rookie is not likely to contribute much. This may be a rebuilding year, but I still think you need some vetrans to help the younger players get their footing.

So, do you think, like I do, that Moulds stays with the Bills another year.  The Bills are trying to get Moulds to blink, and agree to a pay cut.  If he won't, the Bills will still retain him at his current contract price?  All of the "posturing" is coming from Moulds camp, and they don't really have any power in the end.  All the Bills and Levy have said, right along, is that they want to retain Moulds. It just seems to me they would have released him by now, if they were going to.

628153[/snapback]

Moulds was disgruntled last season, when the FO wasn't seriously screwing around with his pay. I don't think him too low to not see the writing on the wall, and that he's going with the trade-or-release threat shows it. Relationships that sour like this don't generally get back to good terms. As for that last sentence, there's a lot of time for something to happen; from a draft-day deal to a Milloy-type release. And if it is a Milloy situation, there will be teams that will do what they need to get him, as he still can be a good-to-great receiver, just probably not in Buffalo.

And to Peter, I'm not a "JP apologist," it's just that some of us take issue with a guy who holds a grudge against another due to circumstances out of his control, such that it affects the QB-WR effectiveness. I'm not saying that several weeks of offseason workouts would have guaranteed they'd be best buddies, but it would have helped both Moulds and the team if they were on the same page prior to camp, and it showed itself early in the season (and JP's performance was hindered when Evans got the heat) and exaserbated itself later in the season. Moulds is the one who didn't make the effort at the start, and refused to get over that Drew was no longer on the team.

Moulds is the one who didn't make the effort at the start, and refused to get over that Drew was no longer on the team.

628179[/snapback]

Where did all of this come from that Moulds was a big Bledsoe supporter....I seem to remember their relationship deteriorated a bit, by the end. Moulds never sounded crushed about Bledsoe leaving, from what I remember. He took the stance of, "maybe a change is good for us, and good for Drew." Moulds was, at least initially, very vocally supportive of the Losman move...

Ok - well from what I read so far I am not concerned. Critically EM has not said anything himself - it is all his agent. This is all negotiation - and right now both sides have a great winning story lined up.

Moulds is under contract for a ton of money and will play if things stay the way they are. The Bills would like to restructure - but if they don't, they still have a productive WR in the mix.

This will clear up by the end of the week.

Only thing that bugs me. No one spoke to TKO yet from the Bills. :|

I hope that we release him on the last day possible. His personal advisor says that:

"I think Eric is due that respect by the Buffalo Bills," Johnson said. "We need to find out what his fair market value is and we're going to determine that by finding what other teams out there are willing to pay him. ... We'll never determine that if we just continue to go back and forth with the Buffalo Bills."

Guess what @sshole, your clients fair market value is nowhere near the $7.1 he is scheduled to make this year. Eric wants out of Buffalo, plain an simple. I hope that we wait long enough so he only gets the verteran minimum.

I am sorry, but anyone that would hit their pregnant girlfriend does not deserve any sort of "respect".

I hope that we release him on the last day possible. His personal advisor says that:

"I think Eric is due that respect by the Buffalo Bills," Johnson said. "We need to find out what his fair market value is and we're going to determine that by finding what other teams out there are willing to pay him. ... We'll never determine that if we just continue to go back and forth with the Buffalo Bills."

Guess what @sshole, your clients fair market value is nowhere near the $7.1 he is scheduled to make this year. Eric wants out of Buffalo, plain an simple. I hope that we wait long enough so he only gets the verteran minimum.

I am sorry, but anyone that would hit their pregnant girlfriend does not deserve any sort of "respect".

628233[/snapback]

Moulds might be doing us a favor. Before the CBA, I would have been happy to cut him, thinking that there was zero hope of getting a trade partner for him at his inflated salary.

Now, perhaps we can salvage a 4th or 5th round pick for him, and enjoy the cap space he wastes this year and next.

Everyone has to realize that Moulds is really only playing for around 5-5.5 mil next year, not 10 mil as the cap hit suggests.  We are stuck paying half of it anyways,

628158[/snapback]

He's playing for a little over $7 million in new money for 2006, because that's the value of the check Ralph would have to sign. Well, you say, how come the Bills only get about $5 million in cap relief from cutting Moulds? It's like this:

Keep Moulds: cap hit for 2006 = $7 million in base salary + $3 million in amortized signing bonus.

Cap hit for 2007 = $2 million in amortized signing bonus

Get rid of Moulds: cap hit for 2006 = $5 million in amortized signing bonus

So keeping Moulds creates $7 million of cap hit, $5 million of which we get hit with this year, and $2 million of which we get hit with next year.

The question people need to focus on regarding what to do with Eric Moulds is...what would be best for the Buffalo Bills?

The answer is to keep him, even if it's at his current salary number. Since the Bills have no prospect to replace such a vital member of our offense they have to bring Eric back. Giving in to his and his agent's tantrum throwing is not a good enough reason to jeopordize the 2006 offense. Marv and Jauron need to hold firm on this one for future negotiations of players. They other shoe to drop of this debacle would be when the Patriots sign him once he's let go. You want to see some senseless doom and gloom? That's it right there and we all know this would happen. So the Bills must keep Moulds to protect the offense and protect themselves within the division. He fits under the cap so who cares if he's happy or what he'll be making? I know I don't.

As for those who disagree with this, please give a name of a player who will be able to replace Eric in our offense.