Ryan Pickett to visit

scribo

After he finishes meeting with the Green Bay Packers today, free-agent defensive tackle Ryan Pickett is scheduled to visit the Buffalo Bills as he weighs potential contract offers from three NFL teams.

Offers from three teams and he is still coming to chat with Marv and Dick? Nice.

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_25147174.shtml

Posted this morning.

i think those other teams, especially green bay, will offer him way more money than we can, so unless he really wants to be in buffalo, which could actually happen due to the rams coaches, kiss him goodbye

626530[/snapback]

Not exactly on the subject of the Packers. They may still re-sign Graddy Jackson if they feel Pickett will cost too much. Pickett is worth more to the Bills than he is to the Packers IMHO.

Not exactly on the subject of the Packers. They may still re-sign Graddy Jackson if they feel Pickett will cost too much. Pickett is worth more to the Bills than he is to the Packers IMHO.

626531[/snapback]

i dont think so, grady is old, and even if they were the same age, pickett is a better player, and i dont think they care about money, they are 30mil under.

RP will be here today according to KFFL.

626591[/snapback]

hopefully he doesn't leave, but i really would like to see some OL visits mixed in here.........both lines need to be addressed, just not the DL

hopefully he doesn't leave, but i really would like to see some OL visits mixed in here.........both lines need to be addressed, just not the DL

626649[/snapback]

yeah, but another DT signing really opens up the draft for the OL. There are some really good guards coming out this year. In a trade down situation it would be possible to get 3 starters for the line out of this draft.

Obviously too much youth on the line won't be great this year...but really, this year isn't gonig to be our year anyway.

I am listen to the web cast of Len Pasquarelli talk about Pickett and wow, he is high on him!

If we could sign him, where do we head in the draft?  Th he ia talking a $10 million signing bonus.

626757[/snapback]

One would think that with 2 DT's signed that that leaves us free to draft Huff right? Maybe Davis. Unless by some miracle Ferguson falls to us but I doubt we can get him without trading up - in fact, if Brees goes to the saints, then maybe New Orleans drafts DaBrick.

Of course, what should the Bills do if Vince Young falls to #8??? We'd have to take him or trade down for $$$ picks

Of course, what should the Bills do if Vince Young falls to #8??? We'd have to take him or trade down for $$$ picks

626763[/snapback]

Oh man, if Vince Young falls the Bills are going to rape some poor team for all its worth in a trade-down offer. Check out the selection order of the few picks after the Bills #8:

8: Buffalo

9: Detroit

10: Arizona

11: St. Louis

12: Cleveland

13: Baltimore

14: Philly

15: Atlanta

16: Miami

17: Minnesota

All those teams in bold need a starting QB. Now, with Detroit at #9, and everyone knowing the Bills wont take Vince Young, I bet you that Marv's phone will be ringing off the hook from the Ravens and Vikings trying to get ahead of Detroit who would definitely take Young at #9 if he falls. Keep your fingers crossed that Young does indeed fall, because it means the Bills can pick up at least an extra 2nd rounder in the process.

By the way, I didnt include Miami because they're either going to get Culpepper or Drew Brees.

If we can sign Pickett, I'm guessing we take Michael Huff at #8 or trade down and stockpile O-Lineman.

That is if nothing goofy happens like D'Brickashaw or Mario Williams falls, in which case OBVIOUSLY take either one of them.

626760[/snapback]

I think we might get aggressive and make a move for Mario. Figure, we'd have to switch with GB and what would that take?

If we can sign Pickett, I'm guessing we take Michael Huff at #8 or trade down and stockpile O-Lineman.

That is if nothing goofy happens like D'Brickashaw or Mario Williams falls, in which case OBVIOUSLY take either one of them.

626760[/snapback]

I could live w/ that. BTW, I like your first 3 picks (in your sig). I'd be very happy if we started our draft that way.

Oh man, if Vince Young falls the Bills are going to rape some poor team for all its worth in a trade-down offer.  Check out the selection order of the few picks after the Bills #8:

8:  Buffalo

9:  Detroit

10:  Arizona

11:  St. Louis

12:  Cleveland

13:  Baltimore

14:  Philly

15:  Atlanta

16:  Miami

17:  Minnesota

All those teams in bold need a starting QB.  Now, with Detroit at #9, and everyone knowing the Bills wont take Vince Young, I bet you that Marv's phone will be ringing off the hook from the Ravens and Vikings trying to get ahead of Detroit who would definitely take Young at #9 if he falls.  Keep your fingers crossed that Young does indeed fall, because it means the Bills can pick up at least an extra 2nd rounder in the process.

By the way, I didnt include Miami because they're either going to get Culpepper or Drew Brees.

626773[/snapback]

I don't think Baltimore is really on that list of needing a QB. Boller really came on at the end of last year and actually started to look pretty good. Is Jamal Lewis a UFA or were there just rumors he was going to get cut? I think they'll probably looking at DeAngelo Williams or Lendell White with that pick, but who knows.

I could live w/ that.  BTW, I like your first 3 picks (in your sig).  I'd be very happy if we started our draft that way.

626788[/snapback]

I also love a lot of people in that Mock, the only prob I have with it is that I think Mangold will probably go in the first (I pray he's there for our 2nd), Lutui goes in the 2nd, and Baskett probably goes in the 3rd. I hope I'm wrong but all those guys stock went up after the combine, that would be one hell of a draft for us though!

I think we might get aggressive and make a move for Mario.  Figure, we'd have to switch with GB and what would that take?

626781[/snapback]

If New Orleans ends up landing Drew Brees, I could see them taking Super Mario at #2....especially since they just lost Darren Howard through free agency.

Given some of this weekend's free agent moves, I could realistically see the Bills swapping slots with St Louis in the 1st round and picking up their 2nd rounder in the process. I know someone has posted this recently on the board and I agree 100%. In that deal, St Louis would jump up to take Vernon Davis and we would probably still have Ngata or Bunkley at the 11th slot to take. That swap of picks would obviously be predicated on the fact that we only sign one DT through free agency.

If New Orleans ends up landing Drew Brees, I could see them taking Super Mario at #2....especially since they just lost Darren Howard through free agency.

Given some of this weekend's free agent moves, I could realistically see the Bills swapping slots with St Louis in the 1st round and picking up their 2nd rounder in the process.  I know someone has posted this recently on the board and I agree 100%.  In that deal, St Louis would jump up to take Vernon Davis and we would probably still have Ngata or Bunkley at the 11th slot to take.  That swap of picks would obviously be predicated on the fact that we only sign one DT through free agency.

626816[/snapback]

That was me (check my mock in my sig); Thats a long shot though, a lot of things have to happen in order for something like that to occur. If Martz was still around we would probably be able to gank their whole draft for them moving up a few spots to draft a guy like Davis: Linnehan seems a little more intelligent to me for some reason.

I think we might get aggressive and make a move for Mario.  Figure, we'd have to switch with GB and what would that take?

626781[/snapback]

I hope that's the case. Give them our third rounder, and maybe a fifth.

I hope that's the case.  Give them our third rounder, and maybe a fifth.

626826[/snapback]

IMHO thats not enough, Like Malta said at least our second to move into the top five.

I also love a lot of people in that Mock, the only prob I have with it is that I think Mangold will probably go in the first (I pray he's there for our 2nd), Lutui goes in the 2nd, and Baskett probably goes in the 3rd.  I hope I'm wrong but all those guys stock went up after the combine, that would be one hell of a draft for us though!

626793[/snapback]

Mangold will be there in the 2nd. While he improved his draft standing, I still don't see him being drafted in the first round. Lutui may or may not go in the 2nd. I don't see it as a given that he's gone by the start of round 3.

I'm not so big on Bunkley or Wroten though. If we're going to address the DL, I'd much rather see us draft Tamba Hali and then Babatunde Oshinowo (instead of Wroten).

Ryan Pickett is all well and good but...uhhhm...O-Line?  Hello?  Bueller?

626712[/snapback]

Incase you missed it, we re-signed OT Greg Jerman. :(

Bills | Team re-signs Jerman

Mon, 13 Mar 2006 06:41:19 -0800

Mark Gaughan, of the Buffalo News, reports the Buffalo Bills have re-signed OL Greg Jerman to a two-year contract worth $1.27 million. Jerman started three games at right tackle in the first half of last season when OL Mike D. Williams was hurt.

Link to Buff News article

Incase you missed it, we re-signed OT Greg Jerman.  :(

Bills | Team re-signs Jerman

Mon, 13 Mar 2006 06:41:19 -0800

Mark Gaughan, of the Buffalo News, reports the Buffalo Bills have re-signed OL Greg Jerman to a two-year contract worth $1.27 million. Jerman started three games at right tackle in the first half of last season when OL Mike D. Williams was hurt.

Link to Buff News article

626857[/snapback]

In case you missed it, that was already addressed earlier in the thread. :huh:

If Pickett already has offers on the table, you would think that the agent has passed those numbers on to the Bills and stated that if they are not in the ballpark, don't bother bringing Pickett in for a visit. I think Pickett signs with the Bills...just a gut feeling. :(

Oh man, if Vince Young falls the Bills are going to rape some poor team for all its worth in a trade-down offer.  Check out the selection order of the few picks after the Bills #8:

8:  Buffalo

9:  Detroit

10:  Arizona

11:  St. Louis

12:  Cleveland

13:  Baltimore

14:  Philly

15:  Atlanta

16:  Miami

17:  Minnesota

All those teams in bold need a starting QB.  Now, with Detroit at #9, and everyone knowing the Bills wont take Vince Young, I bet you that Marv's phone will be ringing off the hook from the Ravens and Vikings trying to get ahead of Detroit who would definitely take Young at #9 if he falls.  Keep your fingers crossed that Young does indeed fall, because it means the Bills can pick up at least an extra 2nd rounder in the process.

626773[/snapback]

too bad Marv will have his phone on Do Not Disturb. :(

He wants no distractions while implementing his meticulously crafted draft board.

Hopefully, Jim Overdorf will take the calls.

Mangold will be there in the 2nd.  While he improved his draft standing, I still don't see him being drafted in the first round.  Lutui may or may not go in the 2nd.  I don't see it as a given that he's gone by the start of round 3. 

I'm not so big on Bunkley or Wroten though.  If we're going to address the DL, I'd much rather see us draft Tamba Hali and then Babatunde Oshinowo (instead of Wroten).

626835[/snapback]

I hope you're right about Mangold Rich, every report I hear has "experts" and GMs raving about him. I watched him in the Senior Bowl practices, and WOW I was really impressed. Then his combine workouts had some calling him "the best C prospect in the last 15 years". I still see him sliding into the first round, not sure where he would go though (haven't done much research into who needs a C around those picks). I did read some Titans boards and there fans have their fingers crossed that Mangold gets to them in the second so we might run into some trouble there but one can still hope!! In all honesty, I almost care more about landing him in the second then I do about who we draft at number 8 because unless Brick falls we probably aren't looking at an O-lineman.

Could somebody give me the lowdown on Pickett?

Is he the "big bulkier" player needed as Marv said in his interview the other day?....

Talent level?

Also....since I didn't comment on this weekends goings on....Larry Tripplet was a AWESOME signing as long as he gets an anchor DT next to him....

Think a young Pat Williams....quick penetrating disrupter

I hope you're right about Mangold Rich, every report I hear has "experts" and GMs raving about him.  I watched him in the Senior Bowl practices, and WOW I was really impressed.  Then his combine workouts had some calling him "the best C prospect in the last 15 years".  I still see him sliding into the first round, not sure where he would go though (haven't done much research into who needs a C around those picks).  I did read some Titans boards and there fans have their fingers crossed that Mangold gets to them in the second so we might run into some trouble there but one can still hope!!  In all honesty, I almost care more about landing him in the second then I do about who we draft at number 8 because unless Brick falls we probably aren't looking at an O-lineman.

626887[/snapback]

Yeah, me too. I sure hope he somehow ends up in Buffalo. Man, would that be a great move! I watched the Senior Bowl also, and he was very impressive. In drills, he showed his strength in taking on the big guys and in the game itself, he was impressive also (as opposed to those who kicked a** in practices but flopped in the game like Jay Cutler and Brodrick Bunkley).

Yeah, me too.  I sure hope he somehow ends up in Buffalo.  Man, would that be a great move!  I watched the Senior Bowl also, and he was very impressive.  In drills, he showed his strength in taking on the big guys and in the game itself, he was impressive also (as opposed to those who kicked a** in practices but flopped in the game like Jay Cutler and Brodrick Bunkley).

626898[/snapback]

That kind of worries me about Bunkley. I didn't get to see the actual game, only practice and drills. I know its the "Senior Bowl" but I really wished they could somehow include the top declaring Juniors. Afterall, the whole point of the game is to further evaluate these kids and it would be nice to see how players like Ngata and Mario do against top competition. I only saw Ngata in his bowl game against OU and I wasn't overwhelmed by his presence (he did occupy double teams and hold the point of attack which I guess is all he really is supposed to do). Since he went out with a knee sprain, one half of football really isn't enough to evaluate and generate an opinion on a top football prospect.

Could somebody give me the lowdown on Pickett?

626893[/snapback]

6'2'' 310 pounds

#10 in Pasta-belly's top 50 FAs:

"Labeled an underachiever for much of his first three seasons, Pickett found motivation in 2005, started all 16 games for the second straight year, and had 115 tackles, the most in the NFL by any defensive lineman. Starting to become an impressive interior force."

A little lighter than the Fat Sam or Big Ted types, but he's got better movement skills and is just 26 years old.

That kind of worries me about Bunkley.  I didn't get to see the actual game, only practice and drills.  I know its the "Senior Bowl" but I really wished they could somehow include the top declaring Juniors.  Afterall, the whole point of the game is to further evaluate these kids .

626929[/snapback]

I think the point of the Senior Bowl is to reward the kids who stayed in school with one last chance to distinguish themselves. The NCAA isn't about to do anything to help underclassmen declare (which makes sense). That is why the only thing they participate in is the NFL-run combine.