Are the Bills going vertical on us?

Simon

The Bills release Campbell whose only real weakness was his inability as a pass protector.

They sign Andre Davis whose only real strength seems to be his ability to hit the occasional big play.

They appear to be on the verge of releasing Moulds who is no longer a downfield threat.

They sign a DT whose strength is getting upfield, which is a trait you'd desire primarily when playing with a lead.

Has anybody heard anything about Royal's abilities in pass protection?

If they do want to do this, they desperately need to rebuild the interior of the OLine if htey ever expect to give Losman the time to allow patterns develop.

The Bills release Campbell whose only real weakness was his inability as a pass protector.

They sign Andre Davis whose only real strength seems to be his ability to hit the occasional big play.

They appear to be on the verge of releasing Moulds who is no longer a downfield threat.

They sign a DT whose strength is getting upfield, which is a trait you'd desire primarily when playing with a lead.

If they do want to do this, they desperately need to rebuild the interior of the OLine if htey ever expect to give Losman the time to allow patterns develop.

625580[/snapback]

'Supposedly' Royal's a decent blocker. Not a Metzelaars, but decent with hands of flubber. Maybe he'll catch one, maybe he won't...

I guess I'd rather have The Bills going 'Vertical' instead of the recent 'Horizontal' posture they would assume all too frequently. :) Hmmm. Playing with a lead. I wonder what that's like. :blink:

'Supposedly' Royal's a decent blocker. Not a Metzelaars, but decent with hands of flubber. Maybe he'll catch one, maybe he won't...

625586[/snapback]

The stuff I keep seeing seems to be focused on Royal as a runblocker, such as his strength at the POA, his qualifications as an in-line blocker, etc.

If Gibbs, who has a propensity to run a lot of maxprotect, had the guy around for 3 years, I'm kinding of assuming he was a solid pass protecting TE and am now wondering if that's the reason teh Bills brought him in. If so, that seems like an awful lot scratch to throw at him.

The stuff I keep seeing seems to be focused on Royal as a runblocker, such as his strength at the POA, his qualifications as an in-line blocker, etc.

If Gibbs, who has a propensity to run a lot of maxprotect, had the guy around for 3 years, I'm kinding of assuming he was a solid pass protecting TE and am now wondering if that's the reason teh Bills brought him in. If so, that seems like an awful lot scratch to throw at him.

625595[/snapback]

That's my read too. I think they believe he'll elevate the line's play.

Gibbs did a LOT of double TEs too.

Either it will give QBX more time to throw, and/or give WM a half-step more daylight. Neither of which is a bad thing.

I don't know if we've got the horses to air the ball out though. Time will tell. That would be something though - a return of the old STRETCH O. I don't think KH has the arm strength to air the ball out much. JP might. But then again, "JP" might be the answer to a lot of things and the burning question: "Who's that GREAT Bills QB?" possibly isn't one of them. <_<

I guess I'd rather have The Bills going 'Vertical' instead of the recent 'Horizontal' posture they would assume all too frequently.  :lol: Hmmm. Playing with a lead. I wonder what that's like.  <_<

625586[/snapback]

The 2005 Bills sure weren't familiar with what it was like in that Miami game.

625580[/snapback]

It's hard to tell, but I think Fairchild has to be having input. Is he setting the Bills up to run a version of the Rams offense with a big blocking TE that is of no use as a receiver? Moulds certainly doesn't fit the Rams style of passing game while Evans and Parrish do. Andre Davis has speed which is desired in that style of offense.

I was kinda' hoping we'd go to more of an Al Saunders type version of Air Coryell. I guess in that style, Royal could be what Jason Dunn is to the Chiefs. Maybe they view Andre Davis as an Eddie Kennison type who needed some time to mature and the right offense to become a good player. Still need a Tony Gonzalez and about 4 OL, but who's counting?

625580[/snapback]

Not sure how a team goes 'vertical' on the D side, but I'd say they are definately going in that direction on O. The St. Louis influence is undeniable here. We will especially see longer intermediate routes (no more 3 yard routes by EM with that noodle armed kitty Holcomb hoping he makes a great play on 4th and 7) run out of a single back, 3 WR formation designed to spread the D and open things up for Willis (does that remind anyone of a certain offensive set we used to see a lot of in the early 90s?). We needed a great blocking TE to make that work and they got one in Royal. Gibbs really wanted him back for his blocking prowess. I predict those mocking that signing will be eating some crow in the future. Parrish will be our edition of Az Hakim while Evans and Davis enjoy the new routes.

Still need a stud or 2 up front.

It may take a year but watch out in 2007.

GO BILLS!!!

I guess I'd rather have The Bills going 'Vertical' instead of the recent 'Horizontal' posture they would assume all too frequently.  :lol:Hmmm. Playing with a lead. I wonder what that's like.  <_<

625586[/snapback]

Surely you haven't forgotten about the Miami game! :lol:

I guess I'd rather have The Bills going 'Vertical' instead of the recent 'Horizontal' posture they would assume all too frequently.  :lol:

Some would say the posture of too many Bills the past few years has been "bent over" <_<

Not sure how a team goes 'vertical' on the D side, but I'd say they are definately going in that direction on O. The St. Louis influence is undeniable here. We will especially see longer intermediate routes (no more 3 yard routes by EM with that noodle armed kitty Holcomb hoping he makes a great play on 4th and 7) run out of a single back, 3 WR formation designed to spread the D and open things up for Willis (does that remind anyone of a certain offensive set we used to see a lot of in the early 90s?). We needed a great blocking TE to make that work and they got one in Royal. Gibbs really wanted him back for his blocking prowess. I predict those mocking that signing will be eating some crow in the future. Parrish will be our edition of Az Hakim while Evans and Davis enjoy the new routes.

Still need a stud or 2 up front.

It may take a year but watch out in 2007.

GO BILLS!!!

625772[/snapback]

Will you be eating the crow if they don't pan out or will you be like the hundreds of posters who assaulted people on the board who questioned Donahoe's moves? Donahoe's legions pulled a heckuva disappearing act, and I didn't see much crow eating going on when he quit.

<_<

625580[/snapback]

I talked to a good friend of mine today who is a lifetime 'Skins fan, a season ticket holder and attends all of their home games. I inquired about Royal and he confirmed what most of us have heard/read about the TE: his pass catching ability is iffy at best, his blocking ability is very good.

My friend believes that, overall, we'll be pleased with Royal as long as we're not expecting the next Antonio Gates. Bottom line: very good blocker with decent upside and a definite upgrade for the O-line.

I was kinda' hoping we'd go to more of an Al Saunders type version of Air Coryell

Considering what our WR corps is going to look like, I'd be more inclined to lean that way too. But in addition to needing another 4 OL, we're missing one other thing we need to run an Al Saunders' offense; Al Saunders. Been a while since the Bills boasted a really good playcaller to help the O along.

Cya