Larry Tripplet Signs

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares about football? The Sabres are Buffalo's team! Football is 12 minutes of action and 2 hours and 45 minutes of moronic commericals and talking heads yammering on about toughness, will and money

624899[/snapback]

Why the fug did you waste your time joining a football board then? :lol:

He's probably better than Ron Edwards. Now we need someone better than Sam Adams.

624884[/snapback]

You got that right. 1 new, decent DT isn't enough, we need at least 1 more, maybe Pickett... and we need someone else to sign Justin Bannan quick. :lol:

Robert Royal.....didn't even know who this guy was before today :lol:

We better at least TALK to Bernard

624872[/snapback]

A year ago, you could've said the same thing about Bernard that you're saying about Royal today.

The fact that the Bills are trying to fill holes with depth players gives me some measure of hope. Have patience guys, things are gonna be fine...

624874[/snapback]

I dont mind the triplet signing, but I dont think things are gonna be fine....Bills fans have had patience for a number of years......but what do we have to show for our loyalty?

I dont mind the triplet signing, but I dont think things are gonna be fine....Bills fans have had patience for a number of years......but what do we have to show for our loyalty?

624999[/snapback]

What??? Free Agency started today bro.... Chill... The Bills signed 2 players to minor contracts. Relax. Nothing to see here, look away. Damn, I can't get used to this new way of thinking.

According to McPaper:

"General manager Marv Levy said Tripplett will serve the role as a penetrating tackle, adding that the team will look for a bulkier player to play alongside him."

ESPN's Scouts Inc report on Tripplett:

Grade: 69 |

Alert: None

Comment:

As a NT he still relies more on his short area quickness than strength to win at the POA. His strength has improved, but it is still not where it should be. He possesses solid AA for his size. He is light on his feet - he is quick and can change directions in a limited area. He has a good feel for the game - he can read block schemes and find the football. He does not have a consistent motor - not relentless like their other guys in terms of wanting to get to the ball and make plays. He doesn't play tough or physical - he doesn't play very nasty -can seem soft at times. He could still improve his strength to be more consistent vs. double team blocks.

Well said. I think you nailed it.

He is better than Edwards and not as good as Fat Sam.

624952[/snapback]

I like him as guy. He was a regular guest with Todd Wright on ESPN All Night before Todd left and left a good impression on me.

I think this matters... don't forget who is the GM.

Character... plus he can play.

Nice signing.

For anyone worried about whether or not players want to come to Buffalo and play for the Bills, here's an interesting comment from Triplett's agent:

"It's funny, in the course of three hours he became enamored with Marv Levy and the head coach," Dunn said. "These decisions are so often made with your gut, and this was an easy call for him."

I have a feeling that just about anyone we want -- once they come in and talk to Levy and Jauron -- will want to be here. The question is, do we "want" the right guys?

The Triplett signing is a good, underrated move. I'm not sure how I feel about the TE Royal, but at least he came pretty cheap and received the benefit of Joe Gibbs' coaching for the past two seasons.

Seems like a high character guy, fitting into Marv's mold. He just turned 27, has only played 4 seasons -- so he is just getting into his prime as an NFL DT. He will only get better.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/huskies/45877_husk08.shtml

A few exerpts:

"Despite the All-America honors, Sports Illustrated feature stories, nomination as a Lombardi Award semifinalist and selection to play in the Senior Bowl, Washington noseguard Larry Tripplett has remained unimpressed with himself. Joining him in that opinion is, well, no one."

"Tripplett, who bench-presses 450 pounds and set a team-record with a 750-pound squat, is listed as a sure first-round selection on nearly every draft board. ESPN's Mel Kiper projects him going 15th, while The Sporting News lists him 23rd."

"He's a joy to be around," Hart said. "He'd be a great coach. He'd be a wonderful teacher. People like him."

He's been praised as articulate and humorous so frequently, he added a speech communications minor to his geography major that eventually could lead to a career in broadcasting."

Here's what Scouts has to say.

Grade 73

(70-74: Good Starter - Good starter who is usually a consistent player with excellent competitiveness and is the heart of the team, but is not a dominant player against the better players he faces on a weekly basis. ... Gives you great effort, and you are glad he is on your team, but he may or may not go to the next level.)

Expert's Take Tripplett has adequate size to play inside on the defensive line and has very good overall athletic ability. He has very good initial foot quickness and has a good explosive get off. He shows that he is capable of getting into the running lanes and being disruptive. He has above average strength and uses his hands well to disengage from blockers. He does an excellent job in stunts and twists and also has the agility to be effective dropping in the zone blitz. He has good lateral movement and has good body control and change of direction skills. He does a good job with play recognition and in re-directing to the ball. He fights hard to get up-field and gives a fairly consistent effort in chase. While he has good quickness off the ball, he tends to come off high and is not effective in holding the line of scrimmage versus the double-team block. He has improved a great deal in his ability to use a variety of pass rush techniques. He is a little inconsistent in his ability to finish, however, he is capable of getting a good push on the pocket. He has developed a bit of a nasty attitude, competes hard and is an aggressive hitter when he gets to the ball carrier.