Favorite independent or obscure movie

Dante

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"City of God" is probably the best movie I have seen in the last 5 years, indie or Hollywood. If you have not seen it, you have to! It is a Brazillian movie, you can watch it on DVD with sub-titles or dubbed. This is not some "boring art film", but a very quick paced, funny, tragic film about the gangs that are overrunning the streets of Brazils poorest cities. It is based on a true story, and is not dull, even for a second! I think of it as a Brazillian "Goodfelllas" in a strange way. It owes some techinique credit to Tarantino, but has much more depth than any of his films. The music is awesome. It got eliminated for Oscar consideration, because the Brazilian film institute (government run) did not submitt it on time. Brazillians are known for their procrastinating. I will warn, the film is a little violent at times, so if you are adverse to that kind of thing, I am sorry for you.

"City of God" is probably the best movie I have seen in the last 5 years, indie or Hollywood. If you have not seen it, you have to!  It is a Brazillian movie, you can watch it on DVD with sub-titles or dubbed.  This is not some "boring art film", but a very quick paced, funny, tragic film about the gangs that are overrunning the streets of Brazils poorest cities.  It is based on a true story, and is not dull, even for a second!  I think of it as a Brazillian "Goodfelllas" in a strange way.  It owes some techinique credit to Tarantino, but has much more depth than any of his films.  The music is awesome.  It got eliminated for Oscar consideration, because the Brazilian film institute (government run) did not submitt it on time.  Brazillians are known for their procrastinating.  I will warn, the film is a little violent at times, so if you are adverse to that kind of thing, I am sorry for you.

45636[/snapback]

Sounds interesting. Something other than the usual Hollywood movies for the masses is always cool.

Whats your favorite non Hollywood independent movie. Here's three of my favs.

Clerks(obvious)

Dead Pet

American Movie

45622[/snapback]

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Buffalo '66.

Vince Gallo is at his understated best as an angst-ridden ex-con and unrepentant Bills fan, and Christina Ricci is is just plain hot!

This is one of those movies that might make you squirm while watching it because some scenes are just so intensely personal. Watch it, learn it, and love it.

My best,

Eric C

ChicagoRic

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

Boondock Saints WINS

How could anyone forget perhaps one of the greatest independent sction films of all time? What a VERY cool movie.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Buffalo '66.

Vince Gallo is at his understated best as an angst-ridden ex-con and unrepentant Bills fan, and Christina Ricci is is just plain hot!

This is one of those movies that might make you squirm while watching it because some scenes are just so intensely personal.  Watch it, learn it, and love it.

My best,

Eric C

ChicagoRic

45643[/snapback]

Gallo's an !@#$, the way he was on Stern a few weeks back ripping on Buffalo. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Cannibal! The Musical.

Matt Stone and Trey Parker's biopic of Alfred Packer, the only American to ever be convicted of cannibalism. Set to music.

Featuring:

"Schpedoinkle Day"

"Let's Build a Snowman, pt. 1 and 2"

"While i was on top of you"

"That's all i'm asking for"

"The Trapper Song"

"Hang the Bastard" (complete with cowbell solo, dev/null)

Hey look guys, they have fudge.

What did Gallo rip Buffalo about???

45687[/snapback]

Basically said, People from Buffalo, are the most miserable M'Fers in the world, and they deserve to be.