Any Soda Drinkers Out There?

I always wondered...there's gotta be some town between Rochester and Syracuse, where "pop" ends and "soda" begins...could it be Weedsport?

619956[/snapback]

If you must know, one of my roomies back in college figured this out, and you are a bit too north.

It's actually Montgomery NY. So there. :w00t:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They probably SHOULD be banning it in schools.  Get these fatass kids into shape.

621046[/snapback]

Over the past few years soft drink companies developed milk, juice, water, sport drink based products specifically targeted for schools. The problem however is two fold. The kids don't drink them (unless you load up with sugar, thus negating any health benefits). Second, as the schools have their budgets cut, they lean on sales of soft drinks to stem the bleeding. They (schools) set their own prices for the soft drinks and make a ton of money off them if they sell, and soft drinks sell very well. I'm not going to blow smoke and tell you that this doesn't benefit Coke/Pepsi/Cadbury. They don't make a lot of money off of the education deals and in fact lose money in some cases, but you do get brand identification.

As I stated all of the soft drink companies are feverishly trying to develop healthy alternatives to their flagship offerings, but the reality is people just don't drink them. As for banning it in schools...I agree with you at an elementary/middle school level or stick with the water/juice vendors. High school kids tend to get it at other locations if the vendors are shut off, so it really wouldn't curb their intake.

I know, they should be perfect, the little bastards.  :rolleyes:

621474[/snapback]

They shouldn't be perfect! But they shouldn't be enabled toward an unhealthy lifestyle, either!

Kevbeau raises some interesting points, but these are the kinds of problems that arise when we believe that the private sector can solve all of our problems. When we think, we don't need to fund schools because corporations can do right by them, we open up this rift, and then we wonder why kids are getting unhealthy options. Don't even give them the options!

If you watch "Super Size Me" it's made pretty plain that healthy, actually cooked school lunches are about the same price to offer as the current garbage kids deal with. The problem is that large scale operations aren't offering these services. They offer a package to 'help the school' maintain funding and bam, you have Coca Cola in our schools.

The other problem is that school taxes are often the only taxes we can vote on directly. Schools suffer in turn and look to these options, whether or not they're best for the kids in the long run.

The other problem is that school taxes are often the only taxes we can vote on directly.  Schools suffer in turn and look to these options, whether or not they're best for the kids in the long run.

622227[/snapback]

Suffering my eye. The school districts around my parts float levy issues several times a year, knowing that voter fatigue is their friend. The latest trick is the "vote Yes means No and vote No means Yes" technique, as well as putting forth "We want to reduce school tax by one cent" issues, armed with the fact that Ohio law allows for local school tax bites to be changed every 5 years - they are locking their profits in.

A popular threat is cessation of bus service - their oldie-but-goodie.

After three consecutive defeats - how would you like to go and vote in November, May, and July? - my district finally passed their con game by a handful of votes. They have long been in that "academically deficient" catagory. What did they do with the new $$$? Hired more administrators, raised teacher salaries and built a shiny new sports facility to placate their blockhead students and their vicarious parents on the fanny of the general public's wallet.

Here's a quote from Mark Twain:

"In the first place, God made idiots. This was for practice. Then He made School Boards."

Suffering my eye. The school districts around my parts float levy issues several times a year, knowing that voter fatigue is their friend. The latest trick is the "vote Yes means No and vote No means Yes" technique, as well as putting forth "We want to reduce school tax by one cent" issues, armed with the fact that Ohio law allows for local school tax bites to be changed every 5 years - they are locking their profits in.

A popular threat is cessation of bus service - their oldie-but-goodie.

After three consecutive defeats - how would you like to go and vote in November, May, and July? - my district finally passed their con game by a handful of votes.  They have long been in that "academically deficient" catagory. What did they do with the new $$$? Hired more administrators, raised teacher saleries and built a shiny new sports facility to placate their blockhead students and their vicarious parents on the fanny of the general public's wallet.

Here's a quote from Mark Twain:

"In the first place, God made idiots. This was for practice. Then He made School Boards."

622372[/snapback]

Well, it was a different story in WNY when I was around. That's all.

Well, it was a different story in WNY when I was around.  That's all.

622376[/snapback]

Sorry for the rant, RDB. :rolleyes:

Yes - things were different. I consistently get a few calls a year from my school district asking me to enroll my children in the federal school lunch program. I tell them that I have no children. Every year. They keep trying without fail. And I know they net about 70 cents per day per head off of every name they can sign up.

Students from a very rich district not too far from me show up with regularity at a grocery store I shop at. You should see the spiffy vehicles in their "student" parking lot. :doh:

For a donation, they will (haphazardly) put your purchases into bags. I say no, because canned goods piled on my loaf of bread doesn't enthuse me. When I decline, I almost always get a pouty lower lip stuck out at me.

I once asked one of the kiddos decked out in 200 bucks' worth of designer fashion, "What is the money for?" Ms. Perky said something about their fab trip to such-and-such a place. I replied "Oh, not for helping poor folks?".

I was lucky Ms. Perky wasn't packing heat... :)

I love the sh*t Bill and probably waste it by the gallons also because it is so damn cheap.

They should just tax the bejesus out of it... Sure way to get my cheap-ass from downing it.

I say... Regulate the crap out and put it back in the small 8oz. bottles.

It would be a win-win for both consumer and soda company.

:)

Fat kids are our problem.

622972[/snapback]

I might not eat very healthy and can stand to lose 10-20 pounds... But, it is a shame at what parents are doing to their kids.

Eating is a very real dysfunction in this country.

It is amazing... Not sure where I caught it, but I remember reading that one's eating habits are firmly engrained in you for life by the time you are two years old.

I never "pushed" food on my kids... Some might say that this is wrong... I just don't feel the need to micromanage the amount of my kid's food intake... Just what kinda foods they are offered. What I find appaling is that some kids actually eat to "please" their parents... This is screwy.

I have been blessed with two normal (you can still say they are mine :rolleyes: ) and average weight kids that know what their proper intake is.

We are in sad shape if people can't even control this basic mechanism.

I might not eat very healthy and can stand to lose 10-20 pounds... But, it is a shame at what parents are doing to their kids.

Eating is a very real dysfunction in this country.

It is amazing... Not sure where I caught it, but I remember reading that one's eating habits are firmly engrained in you for life by the time you are two years old.

I never "pushed" food on my kids...  Some might say that this is wrong... I just don't feel the need to micromanage the amount of my kid's food intake... Just what kinda foods they are offered.  What I find appaling is that some kids actually eat to "please" their parents... This is screwy.

I have been blessed with two normal (you can still say they are mine :rolleyes: ) and average weight kids that know what their proper intake is.

We are in sad shape if people can't even control this basic mechanism.

622990[/snapback]

Yeah, we are. I still think though, that there are still kids who know what two greens and a yellow are. Ever notice most of these things come from very urban areas?

I love the sh*t Bill and probably waste it by the gallons also because it is so damn cheap.

They should just tax the bejesus out of it... Sure way to get my cheap-ass from downing it.

I say... Regulate the crap out and put it back in the small 8oz. bottles.

It would be a win-win for both consumer and soda company.

:doh:

622961[/snapback]

And I was starting to have high hopes for you. :lol:

Seriously, I probably do not drink 20 sodas in a calendar year, but that is far from the issue. What will happen is clear...

1) People with a financial axe to grind do a biased study.

2) They come up with painfully obvious results, such as "soda is not good for you."

3) Politicians take up this phoney cause and use it to raise taxes and distract the public from things that DO matter.

4) The idiotic segment of the public buys into this, and taxes are raised.

5) Politicians use the money to feather their nests, and give grants to dummy organizations to do more needless studies.

6) Said dummy organizations contribute to campaigns of pols who fund them.

There are probably tax dollars still being spent to determine whether or not there are steroids in baseball. :(:doh::rolleyes: