Vernon Davis just ran high 4.3/low 4.4

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow....pretty impressive.  This, along with the year he had, certainly helps solidify his position in the draft.  After this, you'd have to believe SF/Oak will be taking a serious look at him.  More importantly, it may give us some more unexpected options on the defensive side of the ball.

612727[/snapback]

i've been saying it for months - these posts with rock solid top 7's are silly......alot can happen leading up the draft.......i said it about culter weeks ago and now the media (and consequently, this board) are catching on to the possibilty of him going top 7......and is davis a possible top 7?......who knows who else will emerge leading up the draft?

bottom line is don't count out brick, williams, or ngata at #8......any are possible......

this is all the rage on NFL Draft Message Boards this morning since the Herd was on ESPN and had an orgasm while talking about Davis.

The problem I see with Davis is he has great speed and great hands but from what i have heard and read, the guy has problems on short plays....3rd and 1 up to 3rd and 4 which is where you need the guy down the stretch in tight games...not to mention he might become unusable in the red zone.

He will be like an extra wide receiver that can stretch a defense...but not sure how effective he will be in short yardage situations.

I personally like Davis a lot and wouldn't be unhappy if he was our pick. But the way I see it, with Everret coming back (another guy with huge upsaide) I don't see TE as a pressing need for us. We really need line help on both sides of the ball. But, with that said, if the "top picks" from both sides of the ball are already off the board (ie. D'BRICK, Ngata, Williams), I would have no problem with this pick.

Just watching his interview on NFL Network......They ran through all of his records at Maryland and they were most impressive.....

Ran a 4.38 40 today

Bench Press is 465 lbs

Squat is like 685 lbs

Had a 42" Vertical Jump today!!!!

WOW!

He might have just moved up in the draft a bit. If not, as I said before, if the top lineman are not there, this would be a great pick.......despite Everret already being here.....he is an athlete and the combination of him and Everret would be amazing.

The thing is, if we draft Davis, it somewhat lessons the need to keep Moulds and the 5 million could go to signing some linemen and a solid #3 WR. I do think we could get by with a WR set of Evans, a guy like Finneran, Parrish, and perhaps resign Josh. Throwing Everett and Davis in as double TEs and then splitting them wide could cause some trouble for defenses, and keep some extra CBs from being on the field. And while they may not be the best blockers right now, they're better than WR blockers. Plus, we're probably not going to the SB next year, so we will lose something but gain a lot for the future.

We have more pressing needs than another TE. Everett was a top 100 pick last year. DL or OL, no more skill position players.

612828[/snapback]

I completely agree.....but like I said earlier, what happens if D'BRICK, Williams, and Ngata are all off the board? That could happen! If that is the case, who do we choose?

I think the choice comes down to Davis and Huff. The other lineman are reaches at 8 at this point. So, I guess trading down is an option, but I believe that you have to pick here. Hopefully we won't have too many top 10 picks for many years to come and I just think you have to take advantage of it while you have the chance. And that means taking the best player avaiable.

So, if we can't get one of those "Big 3" that we need, then I really think the choice comes down to the guys above.......

If that happens, who do you take? Davis or Huff?

Wow....pretty impressive.  This, along with the year he had, certainly helps solidify his position in the draft.  After this, you'd have to believe SF/Oak will be taking a serious look at him.  More importantly, it may give us some more unexpected options on the defensive side of the ball.

612727[/snapback]

I know where you're going, and im hoping that this means ngata will fall to us too. But not with those two teams. The 49ers have Eric Johnson, when he's not injured he's right up there in the top 5 TE's, and Oakland has 6'7'' Courtney Anderson who they like a lot, especially in the red zone. Even though Davis ran those great numbers, i dont see oak or sf going for him. But i wish they did.

this is all the rage on NFL Draft Message Boards this morning since the Herd was on ESPN and had an orgasm while talking about Davis.

The problem I see with Davis is he has great speed and great hands but from what i have heard and read, the guy has problems on short plays....3rd and 1 up to 3rd and 4 which is where you need the guy down the stretch in tight games...not to mention he might become unusable in the red zone.

He will be like an extra wide receiver that can stretch a defense...but not sure how effective he will be in short yardage situations.

612747[/snapback]

How does that make any sense at all? He either has great hands or he doesn't. You guys have got to think after you read these profiles and ask yourself if it makes sense. That profile does not make sense. If he drops balls it does not matter if it is down field or not. All that matters is that he drops balls. The yardage does not mean a thing.

As far as I know he is very sure handed. The only time I have seen him drop balls is when he wants to take off too soon before he catches the ball. That can be addressed with out a problem.

yea it's good news - it puts another player in the top 10. those numbers are incredible for a guy his size. Imagine if Gates could run a sub 4.4. How high would he go in the draft? Davis' long jump and high jump scores blew away the field as well.

If he fell to us, and Brick was gone, and AJ Hawk was gone, how do you let him pass? We could finally shed the mediocre TEs on the roster and come into 2006 with campbell, davis, and everett.

i don't like the strategy of drafting to fill your holes. that's how you reach for players like Josh Reed the year you trade Peerless...when impact players like lecharles bentley and clinton portis were available. (How the fug did they screw up that pick?)

At # 8 it's all about getting an impact player on either side of the ball. That is the most imprtant thing. It's nice to get an impact player at a need position but you have to be open minded to all possibilities.

Vernon Davis going down the slot on third down opens the whole offense up.

His potential impact on our offense would add for a bigger output of points on the score board. That helps a defense as much as anything else.

We have had no impact TE since The K Gun days. Our offense sucks as far as being able to score from anyplace on the field except for Evans.

Davis would be a great addition. We can get DT's later on in this draft along with LB's but speed like this in a kid that is 265 lbs is rare.

This kid is an impact player just on speed alone.

The thing is, if we draft Davis, it somewhat lessons the need to keep Moulds and the 5 million could go to signing some linemen and a solid #3 WR. I do think we could get by with a WR set of Evans, a guy like Finneran, Parrish, and perhaps resign Josh. Throwing Everett and Davis in as double TEs and then splitting them wide could cause some trouble for defenses, and keep some extra CBs from being on the field. And while they may not be the best blockers right now, they're better than WR blockers. Plus, we're probably not going to the SB next year, so we will lose something but gain a lot for the future.

612777[/snapback]

Very good point, Kelly, and I have to believe Marv is thinking the same way. Any news of the Bills interviewing Davis?