Mike Williams or McKinnie

Frez

The bottom line is this:

2005: no starters

2004: 1 starter (Evans)

2003: 3 starters (!) (McGahee, McGee, Kelsay)

2002: no starters

2001: 2 starters. (Clements, Schobel)

There are 22 starting positions on an NFL team. In five years, Donahoe used the draft to nab six of them. SIX!! That's abysmal.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom line is this:

There are 22 starting positions on an NFL team.  In five years, Donahoe used the draft to nab six of them.  SIX!!  That's abysmal.

610348[/snapback]

Just to play devils advocate :lol: He did make some solid FA acquisitions on defense.

Fletcher, Spikes, Milloy, Vincent, Posey, Adams. They all helped us have the #2 in the NFL for two years. That is six solid starters right there.

Just to play devils advocate  :lol: He did make some solid FA acquisitions on defense.

Fletcher, Spikes, Milloy, Vincent, Posey, Adams. They all helped us have the #2 in the NFL for two years. That is six solid starters right there.

610354[/snapback]

i really don't think it's tough to find a starter in free agency.......let's not forget all those guys were starters (and in some cases stars) before they even got here.......

the draft is the real challenge and donahoe failed.......

i really don't think it's tough to find a starter in free agency.......let's not forget all those guys were starters (and in some cases stars) before they even got here.......

610356[/snapback]

Very true, but it was also quite an accomplishment for TD to get a very early 3rd for your hero, Travis Henry. :lol:

610356[/snapback]

Sorry, I wasn't trying to defend Donahoes drafting abilities. Even F.Lee Bailey couldn't defend some of Donahoes draft picks. I was just trying to point out that not everything that he did here was bad.

The bottom line is this:

There are 22 starting positions on an NFL team.  In five years, Donahoe used the draft to nab six of them.  SIX!!  That's abysmal.

610348[/snapback]

The problem exactly. In the salary cap age, the draft is THE way teams rise above the pack -- or fall to the bottom of the heap. I hope these picks were on TD and not the scouting staff that's still in place.

A SOLID ADMINISTRATION?

Dude, that must be some good sh-- you're smoking. What, you have a direct connection to Thailand or something?

Tom Donahoe did exactly JACK SQUAT to improve this team beyond what it was when he took over. To me, that's not exactly what you'd call "solid."

610330[/snapback]

Thanks, beat me to it. Solid as a rock, as the song says, sadly as dumb as a rock too.

Sorry, but you are just wrong. Here is a history of all Offensive Tackles that have been drafted in the last several decades. Can you find one who was drafted in the top 5 as a RT? I cannot.

John Hannah was drafted in the top 5 as a Guard way back when. He was the only non-LT offensive lineman that I can find who was a top 5 pick.

TD had a tendency to get "cute" in the first round (or with his first selection of a draft) during his stay in Buffalo. He passed on Steinbach to wait a year for MaGahee. He passed on McKinnie (LT) to go with Fat Mike. He took Little Richard Parrish while both lines were crying out for help. He gave away the store for JP, then handed him the job based on nothing.

The more I think about it, getting canned in Pitt. must have really screwed with his head, and left him determined to "out-smart" the football world. Too bad, because he was a truly good football man.

I wonder how he feels now after getting fired in Buff and watching Pitt win it all.  :lol:

610340[/snapback]

Nope. You have it wrong. Most scouts, media, and fans had Williams going above McKinney. My point was that TD did not do something that seemed crazy or stupid at the time. It's what makes Williams a bust. Everyone thought he was a better pick than McKinney.

http://football.about.com/od/mockdrafthist...bl_2002mock.htm

http://archive.profootballweekly.com/conte...raft_042002.asp

And my favorite:

http://www.bootlegsports.com/cgi-bin/bs3co...file=nfl-draftw

Most likely to live up to expectations - Mike Williams, OT, Texas - Williams saw his stock rise higher than Bryant "Mount" McKinnie in the weeks leading up to the draft and rightfully so. He can play on either side of the line and is polished enough to step in and start for Buffalo. If there's such thing as a nimble 375 pounder, than Williams is it. Buffalo is expecting Williams to anchor their line next season, and with his excellent ability against the pass and the run, Williams will no doubt be up to the task.

I'm sure I could find more mock drafts, and maybe even a few with McKinney going higher, but the point is that most had Williams going higher. Combine that with McKinney being kind of a jerk, and TD's initial decision didn't look bad.

(Please don't think of me as some TD apologist, I'm glad he is gone. But just because he was a jerk didn't mean he should have been able to see into the future and predict that the guy viewed as the best lineman in the 2002 draft would turn out to be a lazy SOB.)

Geez, I remember people screaming for Bryant McKinnie here on the board.

610321[/snapback]

i was screaming for either one. i didn't care which one....

i look back and am disappointed that Mike Williams was a bust but if the Bills didn't take him someone else would have taken him within the top 10.

apparently he looked good on tape and workouts.

it is hard to measure heart with a stop watch and a weight bench.

How quickly we forget Travis Henry.

The bottom line is this:

610348[/snapback]

That was the point of my post. He was a solid GM; a skilled, old school football man................................ at Pittsburgh.  :lol:  :D

610351[/snapback]

Two words people: Scotty Bowman.

Donohoe fits the profile... big name guy with lots of national success comes to Buffalo, out-thinks himself, leaves with tail between his legs.

Marv was the mirror image: weak national image, he rose to the occasion as coach. Maybe he can do it again?

Wow, he missed a draft pick. He must really suck.  :lol:

The only painful day of this offseason was the one where the Bills panicked and demolished a solid administration because of one predictable step backwards and I realized that my fellow Bills fans had become some of the whiniest bitches in the league.

Oh well, there's always next decade.....

610326[/snapback]

You are correct. No one should judge TD on the MW pick alone.

He should be judged on this: 5 seasons, 31-49 record, 0 playoff appearances, 4th worst team in the NFL over this timespan (ahead of Lions, Cards, and Texans).

Whether or not us Bills fans have become "whiny bitches," TD was fired because he sucked at what he did.

All one can say is that McKinnie he has been more durable that MW. The jury is still out whether he was worth the fourth pick overall. McKinnie has yet to appear in a Pro Bowl.

He is also not a "character guy." He was arrested for a scuffle in a gas station last year and is all about the money.

Besides, based on all the talk on this board it looks like they should have drafted LeCharles Bentley

610325[/snapback]

BINGO! All you can say about McKinnie is that he's less of a flop than Williams. Faint praise indeed! If the Bills spent that #4 pick on McKinnie, we would all be howling that we should'a took Fat Mike. They both suck!

Also, please remember, when you are orgasming over D'Brickashaw Ferguson, everything they are saying about him now was said about both McKinnie and Williams! Not saying D'Brick is going to bust, just that you can't always believe the hype.

PTR

I remember Williams being interviewed on ESPN a couple days before the draft and he said he didn't want to come to Buffalo. I also remember saying on draft day that the Bills should draft anybody but Williams. Guess I was right and TD was wrong. That makes the score EVERYONE ELSE 6,789 TD 0

Donahoe should've selected Bryant McKinnie with that #4 pick in 2002.

We told you so!  :lol:

610297[/snapback]

Do you actually expect any of the bagadouches that have been defending that pick to back down? If people actually learned from mistakes, we wouldn't have to wade thru the same misguided postseason nonsense year after year on this board. I mean, we've got guys wringing their hands with anticipation of drafting a fat guy with a bad knee and low motor who are at the same time rejoicing at the release of Mike Williams.

mcKinne was on the radar too. WE could have had a left tackle, now we got nothing. was a waste. Mike williams was the biggest bust since mandrich at Off. line, IMO. i mean, he couldn't move anyone at the point of attack. what a waste. i just hope marv dosn't try to make a diamond out of a rough by trying another jerry crafts experiment