Land of the Free, My Ass

How about letting immigration solve that issue?

It is pretty appalling that some of the board's conservatives are sticking up for this one.  Let the bureau of the government that is supposed to deal with illegals deal with them.  Give them more teeth, whatever.  But using this law as a means instead of finding a solution grounded in reality and pre-existing laws is no better than the endless amounts or regulations on guns are to most conservatives.

608735[/snapback]

Let WHO deal with them? INS? Aint happenning. Steve Levy, Suffolk County Executive is try, but has been met with oppposition and labels of bigotry and racism (shocker). Of course, if one of the overcrowded houses he closed burnt to the ground and there were many deaths, he'd be blamed for that, too (shocker again).

Sorry, INS aint doing ca-ca when there are 40 men on your front lawn, harrassing your children, shitting in your bushes, drinking beer to all hours of the night, and making the house you bough worth cents on the dollar.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as a dwelling is sturdily constructed and safe to inhabit, and YOURS, what damn right does anyone else have to say how it looks?

608497[/snapback]

You want to live in dump? Fine. But don't expect to live in one across the street from my house and drag my home value down because I'll report you to the city every goddam day until you take care of your property.

You want to live in dump? Fine. But don't expect to live in one across the street from my house and drag my home value down because I'll report you to the city every goddam day until you take care of your property.

608883[/snapback]

Please - come see my neighborhood - the City (sic) doesn't have the resources (or willpower) to enforce it own codes. The condo HOA's have greater power :D

And, we still have problems

608883[/snapback]

You sound like a liberal... Telling people what they can and can't do. :D

The point is not looks... Who cares how it is painted or what color roof is on the the thing... As long as it is safe... Then fine...

I don't think he means a dump... A dump implies that something isn't sturdy or sound with the structure.

You probably love the people who put up a huge ham radio antenna or a BUD on their property... I have no problem with it, as long as it is safe and not a hazard. Eyesore maybe... But, it isn't my right to judge what people find appealing.

You sound like a liberal... Telling people what they can and can't do. :D

The point is not looks... Who cares how it is painted or what color roof is on the the thing... As long as it is safe... Then fine...

I don't think he means a dump... A dump implies that something isn't sturdy or sound with the structure.

You probably love the people who put up a huge ham radio antenna or a BUD on their property... I have no problem with it, as long as it is safe and not a hazard.  Eyesore maybe... But, it isn't my right to judge what people find appealing.

609250[/snapback]

Oh yeah? My friend has a neighbor with this setup. He cannot watch his TV, nor listen to his radio becuase of the interference from his nighbor's radio setup. Forget about phone service. He has had to use a payphone down the street on occasion it gets so bad.

Sorry...we dont live in a vacuum. Maybe if you live on a 5,000 acre ranch or compound what you do wont affect your nighbors. But for the rest of us who live in faily close proximity, those "freedom squelching" laws and ordinances keep things in order regarding how people keep their homes and what they do with them.

EIL, was that really you who posted that? Do you realize that you gave us a perfect description of today's liberals?

I am friggin impressed! You go EIL!!!!!!!!  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

609302[/snapback]

Bill not sure if you live in a neighborhood with an HOA, but we have one that is pretty non-intrussive. However, friends who live in one up the road have their HOA acting like Stalin and the Communist party. They got fined for parking a boat in their driveway overnight, when they bought it and before they dropped it at the marina the next day. 150 dollars to the little driveway commies.

Bill not sure if you live in a neighborhood with an HOA, but we have one that is pretty non-intrussive.  However, friends who live in one up the road have their HOA acting like Stalin and the Communist party.  They got fined for parking a boat in their driveway overnight, when they bought it and before they dropped it at the marina the next day.  150 dollars to the little driveway commies.

609307[/snapback]

Bro, I don't know what a HOA is. I used to, but I am married for 22 years.

Those were the days. :D

Bill not sure if you live in a neighborhood with an HOA, but we have one that is pretty non-intrussive.  However, friends who live in one up the road have their HOA acting like Stalin and the Communist party.  They got fined for parking a boat in their driveway overnight, when they bought it and before they dropped it at the marina the next day.  150 dollars to the little driveway commies.

609307[/snapback]

Well, thats !@#$ing stupid...taking it too far.

But its also taking it too far some of the examples people are defending here. Like saying "they wouldnt mind" if their neighbors were slobs who didnt do the upkeep on their homes, painted them purple, hoisted huge radio transmitters on the roofs and God-knows-what-else.

My ass, they wouldnt mind.

Most people on a block get pissy if you take their "reserved" parking spot on the street overnight, let alone some of the examples above.

But its also taking it too far some of the examples people are defending here. Like saying "they wouldnt mind" if their neighbors were slobs who didnt do the upkeep on their homes, painted them purple, hoisted huge radio transmitters on the roofs and God-knows-what-else.

Most people on a block get pissy if you take their "reserved" parking spot on the street overnight, let alone some of the examples above.

609341[/snapback]

What's even funnier was the fine came in the mail along with a picture of their boat in their driveway. Basically the tooks pictures to ensure the homeowner could not fight the fine. Sad when the boat was in the driveway less then 12 hours. But they have a "common area" where things like boats can be stored for short timeframes, and they didn't follow the rules.

I live in persnickety Olde Towne Alexandria. I catch all kinds of grief over the engine block in the front yard, and the hound tied to the clothesline. You can't imagine.

609363[/snapback]

Yeah but in Olde Towne, the femi-naxi's probably have issues with your slong as well.

609341[/snapback]

The guy across the street from me has been replacing his front yard for six months. After we moved in he told me the realtor who listed my home before I bought it called the city to complain that he was driving down the property value of the house he was trying to sell. That was extreme because it's fairly obvious he's in the middle of doing something and waiting for the right time/money to do it.

Still, the cul-de-sac I live on is very well-maintained, except for this dude's yard. We talked, and he's fixing it, but is there really anything wrong with expecting your neighbors to take care of things like their yard?

And next to him is an older guy who is refurbing a VW Bug in his driveway. Now, no one hates the VW Bug more than me, so I'm a bit tainted, but I have to get up every morning and look at that block-mounted rustball piece of crap. At his current pace, he should be done with that thing by the time my son's second child graduates college. It's bad enough he finds it necessary to cover his 60-year-old torso in a wifebeater T, but why should I have to look at his junk everyday? He has a garage. Put it in there. It just seems like common courtesy.

EIL, was that really you who posted that? Do you realize that you gave us a perfect description of today's liberals?

609302[/snapback]

I think the 'You can do this, and you can't do this' is more ingrained in the social agendas of Dems/Repubs rather than in liberal/conservative. And they both have their own pick-and-choose points on certain of issues.

-----

LA and VA, I guess things just go a little differently here in (rural) New England. For us, if our name is not on the deed, we don't so much think it's our place to be telling people they can't have a fixer-upper in the driveway or whether they cut their grass every three days, or every two weeks. May be an issue of people not wanting to throw stones, as most houses here are works in progress. But I guess when you live in an area where everyone is expected to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars, hire out for pesticidal TruGreen landscaping, and Endless Pools, you have nothing to worry about except how the Jones' aren't living up to your standards b/c they pick a shade of blue that you don't find appealing.

Not to say there aren't limits to this. There's a guy in town raised in the uber-Depression mindset who saves EVERYthing from rusty old motors to dry-rotted tires to used 30-year old shingles. He raises 20 goats on a 1/2-acre lot. He would dig through the Dumpsters at the transfer station until they put up a 'No Picking Through Dumpsters' (aka the John W.... Law) sign. The town actually removed some things from his property because it was so full of sh--; whereupon he put up a big sign that read "Bullies, Butchers, Theives!" in 18-inch green hand-spraypainted letters and went on from there in smaller black and white. There is a time for intervention for people who are hoarders (pet hoarders especially, which is so sad), but these are truly some Sorry-ass Little First-World Problems.

-----

But back to the original topic, we have a couple who like/love each other enough to live together, yet they're not quite ready for the (relatively recent, when you think about it) legal concept of marriage. And yet, in many courts, they'd beconsidered common-law husband-and-wife. And yet, even tho two of the kids are fathered by the homeowner, the woman and kids are basically being told by the city to Get Out or Get Married And Adopt. I choose to call bullsh-- by its proper term.