If we want to be great like NE

ans4e64

another interesting piece of info i found, i dont think its a coincidence that NE has had their recent success along with using their first round picks on offense and defensive lineman.

1999 1 Damien Woody C Boston College

2000 1 Adrian Klemm T Hawaii

2001 1 Richard Seymour DT Georgia

2002 1 Dan Graham TE Colorado

2003 1 Ty Warren DT Texas A&M

2004 1 Vince Wilfork DT Miami (FL)

Ben Watson TE Georgia

2005 1 Logan Mankins G Fresno State

thats every year for the past 7 years, or 8 in the past 7. It also didnt hurt that they got tom brady in the 6th round.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another interesting piece of info i found, i dont think its a coincidence that NE has had their recent success along with using their first round picks on offense and defensive lineman.

1999 1  Damien Woody C Boston College

2000 1  Adrian Klemm T Hawaii

2001 1  Richard Seymour DT Georgia

2002 1  Dan Graham TE Colorado

2003 1  Ty Warren DT Texas A&M

2004 1  Vince Wilfork DT Miami (FL)

Ben Watson TE Georgia

2005 1  Logan Mankins G Fresno State

thats every year for the past 7 years, or 8 in the past 7. It also didnt hurt that they got tom brady in the 6th round.

608393[/snapback]

na that makes far to much sense to invest heavy in the trenches. We need more skill position players who wont help us immediatly.

I was thinkng more like Seattles OL over NE's

I can remember analyst laughing at Seattle for taking another OL in the early part of Day 1 when they had so many other needs....... Sound Familiar ?

The same goes for the DL. In fact the only way to build a solid foundation in the FA era of football is too have the trenches set. The trenches are the foundation upon which Superbowl teams are built.

Anyone thinking we need a QB is a fool, anyone thinking Nate Clements' off year last year didn't have alot to do with our DL's inability to produce a pass rush and stop the run is misguided IMO

Ben Watson TE Georgia

608393[/snapback]

Except Seymour, name another "star" in this bunch. Woody is not there nor is Klemm. Wilfork and Warren are promising youngsters. Watson is extremely talented and athletic but hasn't put it altogether yet. I don't disagree with the premise of your post, we should be addressing our lines on both sides of the ball. No doubt about that. NE is obviously solid with their starting 22, but what seperates them from the pack is that they're better than most, if not all, from players 23-53. Oh, and as you mentioned, Brady is "somewhat" instrumental in this whole process. Coach too......and Pioli......and......ARGGGHHH f@#$ing PATS!!

Woody and Klemm aren't there. Watson and Graham don't play on the line. The only one of their starting OLs drafted in the top 100 is Mankins, and he was 32.

Anyone thinking we need a QB is a fool, anyone thinking Nate Clements' off year last year didn't have alot to do with our DL's inability to produce a pass rush and stop the run is misguided IMO

608414[/snapback]

Just because we need line help doesn't mean we don't also need QB help.

Of oucrse the Bills lines need help.

Thats why they "franchise" (and subsequently overpay) for a CB.  :lol:

608433[/snapback]

6M for Nate isn't overpaying. Give it a chance. Buff has put themselves in the drivers seat on this one. They can work a deal, or possibly a trade. Worst case is he plays this year for just under 6, and the Bills reevaluate after the season.

Ben Watson TE Georgia

608393[/snapback]

well ur forgetting that they are also picking late in the first round when the high profile talent position players have been taken.

Ben Watson TE Georgia

Klemm was a 2nd round pick, for what it's worth. Of course, we didn't have a 1st that year (gave it to the Jets for Belichick), so Klemm was the team's first pick.

Ben Watson TE Georgia

608393[/snapback]

The first 2 guys you mentioned are no longer with the team, and Klemm was pretty much a bust.

I agree that NE has a great O line, but look at where they were drafted.

LT: Matt Light, 2nd round, 17th pick

LG: Logan Mankins, 1st round, last pick

C: Dan Koppen, 5th round, 29th pick

RG: Stephen Neal, Undrafted Free Agent

RT: Brandon Gorin, 7th round 1st pick by SD (the starter Kaczur was injured but he was an Undrafted Free Agent).

So, 2/3rds of their line was either taken on the 2nd day or not at all.

Ben Watson TE Georgia

608393[/snapback]

The Ty Warren pick was basically for Drew Bledsoe, but you are right, the empahsis on Lineman definitely shows for the 3 time champions of the 21st century.

the point is new england sees the value of big men and drafts accordingly.

they let woody go because they had a replacement and felt he was expensive.

we let jonas go because we thought he was expensive, but had no replacement.

by not drafting any linemen day one besides mike will since we put ourselves in a position of needing big guys and having to pay too much for them.

the iggles also had a habbit of taking big men every year, they did ok

Ben Watson TE Georgia

608393[/snapback]

Before the last draft, I posted a piece listing all the offensive lineman we have drafted in the 1-2 rounds. With the exception of Williams, just about all of them ended up either pro bowlers or perennial starters. The game starts in the trenches and if you are weak there, the rest of it won't matter much.

1970 Jim Reilly G R3

1971 Bruce Jarvis C R3

1972 Reggie McKenzie G R2

1973 Paul Syemour TE R1, he played as a third tackle in the Electric Company,

Joe Delamielleure G R1

1976 Ken Jones G R2, Joe Devlin OT R2

1979 Jophn Borchardt T R3

1980 Jim Ritcher C R1, John Schmeding G R3

1985 Mark Traynowicz G R2

1986 Will Wolford OT R1, Leonard Burton C R3

1990 Glen Parker OT R3

1992 John Fina OT R1

1994 Corey Louchiey OT R3

1995 Reuben Brown OT R1

1998 Robert Hicks OT R3

2001 Jonas Jennings OT R3

2002 Mike Williams OT R1

With the exception of Williams, just about every guy taken in the first and second rounds ended up being solid players and some ended up being great like Wolford, MacKenzie, Joey D and Richter. The third round was pretty mixed, mostly duds. If you want a solid line, you are better off going for people in the first two rounds rather than hoping to get lucky in the later rounds though it does happen.

The first 2 guys you mentioned are no longer with the team, and Klemm was pretty much a bust.

I agree that NE has a great O line, but look at where they were drafted.

LT: Matt Light, 2nd round, 17th pick

LG: Logan Mankins, 1st round, last pick

C: Dan Koppen, 5th round, 29th pick

RG: Stephen Neal, Undrafted Free Agent

RT: Brandon Gorin, 7th round 1st pick by SD (the starter Kaczur was injured but he was an Undrafted Free Agent).

So, 2/3rds of their line was either taken on the 2nd day or not at all.

608530[/snapback]

Where did they draft fraud monitoring?