The cloud has been lifted

SuperBills12

No, I don't have any evidence the bills will be good next year....Obviously there are many holes to fill along with a completely new staff, new management etc.

With that said, I feel like the dark clouds have been lifted from Buffalo...With Levy's return the enthusiasm I once shared as a kid growing up rooting for the Bills has returned..I can't explain it, but I just feel good about this team again, like I once did during the glory years...maybe its the connection to the past which has blinded me with the optimism that I now have..or it maybe its that TD and his mis-mangement is no longer here.....but I gotta feeling 2006 will surprise us in a good way...don't forget this thread at the end of next year.

No, I don't have any evidence the bills will be good next year....Obviously there are many holes to fill along with a completely new staff, new management etc.

With that said, I feel like the dark clouds have been lifted from Buffalo...With Levy's return the enthusiasm I once shared as a kid growing up rooting for the Bills has returned..I can't explain it, but I just feel good about this team again, like I once did during the glory years...maybe its the connection to the past which has blinded me with the optimism that I now have..or it maybe its that TD and his mis-mangement is no longer here.....but I gotta feeling 2006 will surprise us in a good way...don't forget this thread at the end of next year.

604478[/snapback]

Can Marv play O-line? :doh:

I have to admit, between firing TD, hiring Marv, and then Mularkey walking, I had a pit in my stomach that has essentially prevented me from posting on this side of TBD for a good while. But I agree, something just feels better now. I have no idea why, cause Marv and Dick really haven't done anything yet....but I still feel better. That's good enough for me :D

Go Bills :)

It's a cyclical thing.

You end a terrible season, make some major changes (coach, GM, etc.) and you think that FINALLY we're on the upswing. Then you use a high draft pick on a highly touted college guy and sense that we got some good players in the later rounds and you start to feel even better.

Then you read about how hard everyone has worked this offseason, and you feel even better about the team.

Then camp comes and you hear about the great plays guys are making and how all of their hard work is paying dividends - you feel even better.

Then you get to some meaningless preseason games where the Bills beat up on teams like Pittsburgh and you feel better still.

Then week 1 finally comes and the Bills play a home game against a hapless team like Houston and win - you're already thinking playoffs.

Then you suffer a string of soul-crushing defeats to teams you should beat but just don't for whatever reason, players get hurt, and the guys that worked so hard in the offseason and looked good in camp show that they are being completely outplayed by guys on other teams - you realize again that the team has serious problems and serious work to do.

By week 8, the season is all but over, and your thoughts turn to who we should get as a new coach/GM and what to do with the high draft pick. You are deeply depressed, but feel if we could trade our top draft pick + Willis McGahee +Josh Reed away for Shaun Alexander, Walter Jones, Steve Hutchinson and Seattle's first round pick we could be a good team, especially when we get a new coach and GM. You start to feel better about the Bills.

It happens every year...

The so-called experts really don't know jack when you get right down to it. They are all a bunch of lemmings looking to each other to see how they are supposed to think.

The fact is they really don't know Marv Levy and what he is capable of. The real question is: Do the fundamentals of winning football change? If they do, then Levy may have some catching up to do. If not, then we may well have one of the best men for the job.

If the great Vince Lombardi walked through the door, would you want him to coach your football team? Would today's game be past him, or is greatness fundamental and unchaging?

PTR

604478[/snapback]

The sun will come up, tomorrow,

bet your bottom dollar on tomorrow...

come what may!

:D

604478[/snapback]

Lots of reasons to feel good about whats happening. It starts when we franchise Clements. After that, hopefully we'll keep Moulds and then it's on the draft.

Again, never said we were going to the playoffs. I'd still feel better not making the playoffs with marv than with someone else. Let's face it, we talk about all these college jocks like theyre gonna save the team. FA is the most immediate way to affect change, the draft is a crap-shoot. When all is said and done I just want to feel comfortable that my team is in the hands of someone that loves it as much as I do because I know they have reasons beyond a contract for being here. TD was always a cold businessman. Marv loved this town and this team and before you go listing all examples of all the hometown failures let me say Marv will never be a failure to me. He gave me some of the most exciting years football-wise of my childhood.

Marv coming back is like your dad coming back home from work, everything just feels safe at the end of the day.

604671[/snapback]

Unless your dad always came home really late after drinking too much and banging the secretary at a local motel...whoops, never mind.

604478[/snapback]

How DARE you rain on everyone's parade! No optimism allowed here.

Marv coming back is like your dad coming back home from work, everything just feels safe at the end of the day.

604671[/snapback]

Because it is. Everyone talks about coaches and players that "know what it takes to win a super bowl". I'd say Marv does.

The fact of him being too old. He was too old the first time around.

It's a cyclical thing.

You end a terrible season, make some major changes (coach, GM, etc.) and you think that FINALLY we're on the upswing. Then you use a high draft pick on a highly touted college guy and sense that we got some good players in the later rounds and you start to feel even better.

Then you read about how hard everyone has worked this offseason, and you feel even better about the team.

Then camp comes and you hear about the great plays guys are making and how all of their hard work is paying dividends - you feel even better.

Then you get to some meaningless preseason games where the Bills beat up on teams like Pittsburgh and you feel better still.

Then week 1 finally comes and the Bills play a home game against a hapless team like Houston and win - you're already thinking playoffs.

Then you suffer a string of soul-crushing defeats to teams you should beat but just don't for whatever reason, players get hurt, and the guys that worked so hard in the offseason and looked good in camp show that they are being completely outplayed by guys on other teams - you realize again that the team has serious problems and serious work to do.

By week 8, the season is all but over, and your thoughts turn to who we should get as a new coach/GM and what to do with the high draft pick. You are deeply depressed, but feel if we could trade our top draft pick + Willis McGahee +Josh Reed away for Shaun Alexander, Walter Jones, Steve Hutchinson and Seattle's first round pick we could be a good team, especially when we get a new coach and GM. You start to feel better about the Bills.

It happens every year...

604779[/snapback]

Perhaps its time to up the dosage on the prozac there, bud.

The biggest thing that they have done in their short time is express a commitment to retaining veteran talent. I can say, had Donahoe stayed, I'm 90% certain both Moulds and Clements are gone next year. Well that's great... we clear precious cap space, and MAYBE if we're lucky bring in younger, less expensive players that can be reasonable fill ins. But, lets face it... that doesn't ever make us better. I think the era of mediocrity at best would've continued. As much as we all slammed Butler for his handling of the cap situation, we had very very good teams in comparison to what we had in the cap sensible Donahoe era. I don't care if we had to overpay for Pat Williams... I still want him here. Maybe the hardline "take it or leave it" approach to negotiating made the bottom line look better, but the product on the field sucked. With Moulds and Clements still in the fold next year, we can look to the draft to actually ADD talent and not replace what we lost yet again for letting players that we've developed walk away.

604671[/snapback]

20 years ago, my dad went out to get me some milk to put on my Cocoa Puffs. I ain't seen him since...

The biggest thing that they have done in their short time is express a commitment to retaining veteran talent. I can say, had Donahoe stayed, I'm 90% certain both Moulds and Clements are gone next year. Well that's great... we clear precious cap space, and MAYBE if we're lucky bring in younger, less expensive players that can be reasonable fill ins. But, lets face it... that doesn't ever make us better. I think the era of mediocrity at best would've continued. As much as we all slammed Butler for his handling of the cap situation, we had very very good teams in comparison to what we had in the cap sensible Donahoe era. I don't care if we had to overpay for Pat Williams... I still want him here. Maybe the hardline "take it or leave it" approach to negotiating made the bottom line look better, but the product on the field sucked. With Moulds and Clements still in the fold next year, we can look to the draft to actually ADD talent and not replace what we lost yet again for letting players that we've developed walk away.

604980[/snapback]

Donahoe spent when we had the money to spend. Spikes did not come cheap, but we had more money to spend that year. I think last year they banked on Edwards filling William's shoes and it failed. Keeping Williams would have probably been the right thing to do but would that have made us a playoff team? I tend to doubt it. He may have been trying to keep some cap space for a player that could have come available later. We were one of the few teams that could afford Lawyer Milloy when NE cut him late in the year. Hind site is always 20-20. Where Donahoe failed the most was in picking his coaches.