Marv and Jauron on channel 2 tonight

power play

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't give a crap who our first round pick is, if these guys are serious about the O-line and D-line and follow through I'll be a happy guy.

602456[/snapback]

Bingo. That says it all. People who are enamored with one particular draft prospect or another don't get it. This is a process, not a "quick fix" solved by one draft pick. It's a huge relief to hear the two guys in charge of the team say that the lines are priorities 1 and 1-a.

Bingo.  That says it all.  People who are enamored with one particular draft prospect or another don't get it.  This is a process, not a "quick fix" solved by one draft pick.  It's a huge relief to hear the two guys in charge of the team say that the lines are priorities 1 and 1-a.

602599[/snapback]

Why, it seems like only yesterday when this board was swimming in Nugent fever!

Was that REALLY last YEAR?

Goodness, what a change in perspective a new regime can make. :wacko:

"The best offense is a great defense," Marv Levy said.

Amen.

Marv's d-line back "in the day" was who?

(in no particular order) Bruce, Hansen, Seals, Smerlas, Lodish, Washington, Wright... who else?

The d-line was always good to great. I can understand why he has that mindset.

Marv REALLY stressed defense though.  He listed his top 3 qualities for a winning team as: 1) great D-Line, 2) great O-Line, and 3) Quarterback play (interesting how opposite that was of the previous regime).  So, by that line of thinking, you have to believe that Ngata is the guy if Mario Williams is gone.  Unless, the lines are the focus of free agency, which is also likely.

Anyway, bring on the real offseason!!

602414[/snapback]

Interesting quotes from Marv I must say. How much authority he had over the draft during his tenure in Buffalo is anybody's guess, but the following is a list of who the Bills selected with their first picks during the Levy Era:

1986: Ronnie Harmon - RB

1987: Shane Conlan - LB

1988: Thurman Thomas - RB (2nd round)

1989: Don Beebe - WR (3rd round)

1990: James Williams - DB

1991: Henry Jones - DB

1992: John Fina - OT

1993: Thomas Smith - DB

1994: Jeff Burress - DB

1995: Ruben Brown - OG

1996: Eric Moulds - WR

1997: Antwain Smith - RB

The only thing that I am trying to prove here is that words from GMs matter little. I don't blame them. It would be silly of them to tip their hands.

I do clearly remember Marv stating words to the effect of "you can't have too many cornerbacks." In a way I agree, due to that playoff game we lost years ago while playing out 4th and 5th string corners. :(

In any event, if trends mean anything, expect Marv the GM to devote heavy resources to the cb position.

602644[/snapback]

Pretty damn good lineup. Only disappointments I pick out of there are J.D. Williams and Thomas Smith. Harmon almost made my list, but I am sure he would have a been a longtime Bill is it wasn't for that one drop.

Pretty damn good lineup. Only disappointments I pick out of there are J.D. Williams and Thomas Smith. Harmon almost made my list, but I am sure he would have a been a longtime Bill is it wasn't for that one drop.

602647[/snapback]

89 will get mad at me, but imo T. Smith was a far better corner than Burress, but no, it is not a bad list overall.

TD dazzled us with free agent moves, sold us on average, to below average talent (Benny Anderson, et al), and guess what? 

602477[/snapback]

TD did some good things with FA, but the number of people who were dazzled with the signing of Benny are few and far between. Bargain basement aint no bargain.

Great interviews!

D. Jauron seems to be, at least to me, a no-nonsense kind of guy! Really down to earth person... Very straight-forward! I like that in a coach...

As for Marv, well he hasn't change one bit! As he continues to get more accustomed to his GM position, it will become really difficult to know what exactly his plans might be...

This guy is a master orator, so he will be able to tell stories and lead people to something, while in reality he will be going for something else... This will be fun to watch!

Interesting quotes from Marv I must say. How much authority he had over the draft during his tenure in Buffalo is anybody's guess, but the following is a list of who the Bills selected with their first picks during the Levy Era:

602644[/snapback]

A dominant list of ProBowl OLs & DLs on that list :(

A dominant list of ProBowl OLs & DLs on that list  :(

602707[/snapback]

The two o-linemen on the list did play a few games in Hawaii. Marv had plenty of good to great lineman when he was coach.

Wasn't his first move as coach to bring in Joe Cribbs?

The two o-linemen on the list did play a few games in Hawaii. Marv had plenty of good to great lineman when he was coach.

Wasn't his first move as coach to bring in Joe Cribbs?

602711[/snapback]

Unless you're counting Fina's trip to Hawaii as a member of the Wildcats, his only appearance in Honolulu was as a spectator.

[Edit] Bill forgot to include Will Wolford as the #2 1st round pick in '86, but '86 draft shouldn't count anyway, as that was before Levy.

The only thing that I am trying to prove here is that words from GMs matter little. I don't blame them. It would be silly of them to tip their hands.

I do clearly remember Marv stating words to the effect of "you can't have too many cornerbacks." In a way I agree, due to that playoff game we lost years ago while playing out 4th and 5th string corners.  :(

In any event, if trends mean anything, expect Marv the GM to devote heavy resources to the cb position.

602644[/snapback]

The big difference between those years and d?onahow's years is that, back then, we already had lines established, both D- and O-; as a consequence, Marv, Polian, and Butler were able to draft based on talent.

Now, d?onahow already drafted all the skill players, but did NOTHING for the lines.

That is what I do love about Marv, d?onahow had no clue about building a TEAM, but he did fill the seats and made great smoke screens. Marv understands that ni club can win without the lines. There is no smoke screen, just pure basic facts.

Marv is saying the lines will be a priority, because they haven't been since d?onahow got here. In other words, the lines are THE biggest holes the Bills have right now.

Unless you're counting Fina's trip to Hawaii as a member of the Wildcats, his only appearance in Honolulu was as a spectator.

[Edit] Bill forgot to include Will Wolford as the #2 1st round pick in '86, but '86 draft shouldn't count anyway, as that was before Levy.

602719[/snapback]

My bad, you're right about Fina. But he was still a Bill for about 10 years. He was pretty good in his prime.

The big difference between those years and d?onahow's years is that, back then, we already had lines established, both D- and O-; as a consequence, Marv, Polian, and Butler were able to draft based on talent.

Now, d?onahow already drafted all the skill players, but did NOTHING for the lines.

That is what I do love about Marv, d?onahow had no clue about building a TEAM, but he did fill the seats and made great smoke screens. Marv understands that ni club can win without the lines. There is no smoke screen, just pure basic facts.

Marv is saying the lines will be a priority, because they haven't been since d?onahow got here. In other words, the lines are THE biggest holes the Bills have right now.

602729[/snapback]

I don't dispute any of this. Believing what a GM says to the media something else.

After the draft, we will know how truthful his remarks were. All we can do is hope.

I don't dispute any of this. Believing what a GM says to the media something else.

After the draft, we will know how truthful his remarks were. All we can do is hope.

602734[/snapback]

One thing I can guarantee regarding the draft and Marv, because I've read it hear over and over and over and over...Marv will not make a draft day trade to move up, or down, acquire players, or acquire future draft picks. I don't know how these people know this, but they do. Please feel free to take this to Vegas or AC.

Analyzing first round picks only certainly does not give any clear indication either way on what the priorities a GM/Coach involved in drafting may be. A better indication might be the entire draft, along with free agent pick-ups. 1st round picks to me are more often BPA picks than the "need" picks that tend to come in the following rounds.

1st round picks to me are more often BPA picks than the "need" picks that tend to come in the following rounds.

602747[/snapback]

Good point, but it is often dificult to draw a distinction between the two, wouldn't you agree?

For instance were Brown and Moulds BPA, needs, or both? As I recall, Winfield (post Marv, I know) was more of a "need" pick because we lost a corner to free agency.

As for the 06 Bills, anything other than an OT, OG or DT will be a selection based on BPA imo.