Marv and Jauron on channel 2 tonight

power play

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point, but it is often dificult to draw a distinction between the two, wouldn't you agree?

For instance were Brown and Moulds BPA, needs, or both? As I recall, Winfield (post Marv, I know) was more of a "need" pick because we lost a corner to free agency.

As for the 06 Bills, anything other than an OT, OG or DT will be a selection based on BPA imo.

602767[/snapback]

I suppose AW could be viewed more as a need pick, that's true.

I agree with your outlook for '06, though if something awkward or unexpected were to happen in front of the Bill's 8 spot, I could see a situation where we take a guy like AJ Hawk due to him "dropping" to us and his high talent level. As long as the draft overall focusses mostly on the lines I will be happy. Of course FA is an opportunity to get a guy who won't have to learn on the job as well, and that's something to consider too.

I suppose AW could be viewed more as a need pick, that's true.

I agree with your outlook for '06, though if something awkward or unexpected were to happen in front of the Bill's 8 spot, I could see a situation where we take a guy like AJ Hawk due to him "dropping" to us and his high talent level. As long as the draft overall focusses mostly on the lines I will be happy. Of course FA is an opportunity to get a guy who won't have to learn on the job as well, and that's something to consider too.

602876[/snapback]

I think (from what I hear about the guy) if Hawk drops to us we'd HAVE to take him. I'm told he's the only "can't miss" guy in the draft. Am I being mislead?

I think (from what I hear about the guy) if Hawk drops to us we'd HAVE to take him.  I'm told he's the only "can't miss" guy in the draft.  Am I being mislead?

602895[/snapback]

I think it's hard to say until it becomes hindsight, but a wide variety of sources certainly rate him as a can't miss player. He looks very fluid, strong, and instinctual to me on the field and he plays with an edge. Somehow though I'm never quite able to completely remove Katzenmoyer (sp?) from my memory of Ohio State LB's.

I think (from what I hear about the guy) if Hawk drops to us we'd HAVE to take him.  I'm told he's the only "can't miss" guy in the draft.  Am I being mislead?

602895[/snapback]

I'm not a draft expert, don't play one on TV, nor have I slept in a Holiday Inn recently.

But I consider Hawk one of the most over-rated players in the early part of the draft and don't think there's another player in the Top 8-10 that has bigger bust potential (relative to draft position) than him.

I think he'll probably turn out to be an average NFL 'backer who plays mostly steady football for a few years but never really wows anybody on the field. Guys like that are a dime-a-dozen in this league and I'd hate to see us burn a valuable Top10 pick and give a hefty contract to somebody who's just another guy.

Cya

I'm not a draft expert, don't play one on TV, nor have I slept in a Holiday Inn recently.

But I consider Hawk one of the most over-rated players in the early part of the draft and don't think there's another player in the Top 8-10 that has bigger bust potential (relative to draft position) than him.

I think he'll probably turn out to be an average NFL 'backer who plays mostly steady football for a few years but never really wows anybody on the field. Guys like that are a dime-a-dozen in this league and I'd hate to see us burn a valuable Top10 pick and give a hefty contract to somebody who's just another guy.

Cya

602911[/snapback]

Hmmm...interesting. Holiday Inn, huh?

I think it's hard to say until it becomes hindsight, but a wide variety of sources certainly rate him as a can't miss player. He looks very fluid, strong, and instinctual to me on the field and he plays with an edge. Somehow though I'm never quite able to completely remove Katzenmoyer (sp?) from my memory of Ohio State LB's.

602905[/snapback]

Katzenmoyer? Yeech!

602905[/snapback]

I remember in the Big Kat's last season at OSU watching a bunch of Buckeye games and just laughing at all the people hyping his game while he was being completely outplayed by the younger untouted Na'il Diggs.

While the situation certainly isn't as extreme, I think there are some parallels between Katzenmoyer/Hawk and Diggs/Carpenter. While Bobby Carpenter will never be as good of an athlete as Hawk, I wouldn't be abit surprised to see him turn out to be just as good, if not even a better football player than AJ.

Hmmm...interesting. Holiday Inn, huh?

Or whatever the hell chain of roach magnets it is that's in all those commercials. :(

I remember in the Big Kat's last season at OSU watching a bunch of Buckeye games and just laughing at all the people hyping his game while he was being completely outplayed by the younger untouted Na'il Diggs.

While the situation certainly isn't as extreme, I think there are some parallels between Katzenmoyer/Hawk and Diggs/Carpenter. While Bobby Carpenter will never be as good of an athlete as Hawk, I wouldn't be abit surprised to see him turn out to be just as good, if not even a better football player than AJ.

Or whatever the hell chain of roach magnets it is that's in all those commercials.  :(

602924[/snapback]

IMO, Hawk is a MLB and can excel there. Were I in the market for an OLB, I'd look elsewhere. If he fell to the Bills, I would be very tempted to pick him as back-up and eventual replacement for Fletcher but certainly other needs press. If he's there, I suspect the Bills will use all of their 15 minutes kicking things around. They will be in quite a quandry if they think they can run a Cover 2...poor DL pressure, questionable safeties etc. Not to mention the OL issue.

I bet Levy et al are scratching their heads big time with what to do with their #8...

Interesting quotes from Marv I must say. How much authority he had over the draft during his tenure in Buffalo is anybody's guess, but the following is a list of who the Bills selected with their first picks during the Levy Era:

1986: Ronnie Harmon - RB

1987: Shane Conlan - LB

1988: Thurman Thomas - RB (2nd round)

1989: Don Beebe - WR (3rd round)

1990: James Williams - DB

1991: Henry Jones - DB

1992: John Fina - OT

1993: Thomas Smith - DB

1994: Jeff Burress - DB

1995: Ruben Brown - OG

1996: Eric Moulds - WR

1997: Antwain Smith - RB

602644[/snapback]

Not to nitpick- but Ronnie Harmon, if I am not mistaken, was actually the last first round pick of the Hank Bullough era. Marv didn't come around until 9 games into that season (if I remember correctly), after Bullough was fired.

I know what you mean, but Overdorf was the cap manager during Butler's time

602477[/snapback]

He did the numbers and told of the results with pluses and minues but Donahoe and Butler made the decisions if he chances were worth it or not. Overdorf wil now get more input on not only the cap but whether it is risk worth taking or not.

IMO, Hawk is a MLB and can excel there. Were I in the market for an OLB, I'd look elsewhere. If he fell to the Bills, I would be very tempted to pick him as back-up and eventual replacement for Fletcher but certainly other needs press. If he's there, I suspect the Bills will use all of their 15 minutes kicking things around. They will be in quite a quandry if they think they can run a Cover 2...poor DL pressure, questionable safeties etc. Not to mention the OL issue.

I bet Levy et al are scratching their heads big time with what to do with their #8...

602965[/snapback]

Note one important ommision in the 1986 draft - OT Will Wolford was drafted before Ronnie Harmon