Al Michaels to NBC for Sunday Nite Games

DPR4444

didn't see this official announcement posted yet, although some speculated about it in the MNF thread:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060209/ap_on_...bn_nbc_michaels

599443[/snapback]

......traded for "Oswald the Lucky Rabbit," some luge highlights and opening round of the next four Ryder Cups.

I hate to say this but.....ESPN go the better of this deal. I hope Mike Terrico (sp)becomes the MNF announcer!!!!

didn't see this official announcement posted yet, although some speculated about it in the MNF thread:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060209/ap_on_...bn_nbc_michaels

599443[/snapback]

I know this news will be met with the typical "Madden sucks" replys, but let me be the first (only?) to say that I am glad. I too had grown tired of Madden on FOX, but I think he and Michaels were great together on MNF. I think a lot of what I didn't like about Madden on FOX, was due at least in part to Summerall. Summerall was getting old, and Madden was trying to carry a whole broadcast.

Thank god. Best football announcer, period.

599470[/snapback]

I've run into him a couple times here

SpottedAl

I think it's his weekday/offseason course. He's a decent and approachable guy but he definitely guards his football opinions. If I remember right he pulls up a Michelob at the 19th.

I've run into him a couple times here

SpottedAl

I think it's his weekday/offseason course. He's a decent and approachable guy but he definitely guards his football opinions. If I remember right he pulls up a Michelob at the 19th.

599518[/snapback]

Years ago I was sitting at a blackjack table in Vegas, and this hotty chick is sitting there and we start chatting, and I'm cool and all. She starts telling me she was a senior in college about to graduate with a degree in journalism, which was my background, and I give her my card and tell her if I can be of assistance to give me a call, and then just when I think I'm making some way, we get interrupted because Al Michaels sits at the table. I've met more than my share of celebrities, but it was Al Freakin' Michaels, so I lay off the chat with the chick so I don't embarrass myself. Micheals plays three or four hands, loses what chips he has, and reaches over to the chick's pile and takes some chips.

The chick responds, "Hey, get your own chips, Dad."

Yeah. I'm gonna help her get into journalism. Talk about feeling like an idiot.

Years ago I was sitting at a blackjack table in Vegas, and this hotty chick is sitting there and we start chatting, and I'm cool and all. She starts telling me she was a senior in college about to graduate with a degree in journalism, which was my background, and I give her my card and tell her if I can be of assistance to give me a call, and then just when I think I'm making some way, we get interrupted because Al Michaels sits at the table. I've met more than my share of celebrities, but it was Al Freakin' Michaels, so I lay off the chat with the chick so I don't embarrass myself. Micheals plays three or four hands, loses what chips he has, and reaches over to the chick's pile and takes some chips.

599560[/snapback]

Muahaha

that's good...

She was smokin, huh? Kind of a suprise...

599560[/snapback]

NICE!!! I'm glad Al's daughter is do-able.

I thought Al was a little bland in the Super Bowl. The two big plays- Parker's TD run and the bomb to Ward- Michaels' calls seemed a little 'ho-hum' on those plays. For a dry game, you would've thought he'd get excited over some actual yardage gains and scoring.

......traded for "Oswald the Lucky Rabbit,"  some luge highlights and opening round of the next four Ryder Cups. 

I hate to say this but.....ESPN go the better of this deal.    I hope Mike Terrico (sp)becomes the MNF announcer!!!!

599471[/snapback]

That was announced this week - Tirico, Theismann and Kornheiser are the ESPN crew with tafoya and Kolber on the sidelines.

NBC really had no choice. They don't have remotely close to the top five guys in-house.

That was announced this week - Tirico, Theismann and Kornheiser are the ESPN crew with tafoya and Kolber on the sidelines. 

NBC really had no choice. They don't have remotely close to the top five guys in-house.

599885[/snapback]

The amazing thing is Disney (owner of ESPN and ABC) had MANY choices...and picked Theisman to be the analyst in a 3-man booth. I can't think of a worse possible decision. (OK...I can think of a worse one...but, i can't type it on a family board.)

An article I read on this said that Chris Collinsworth was going to be the play-by-play guy with Madden. I cannot imagine how that could have possibly worked.

599913[/snapback]

Collinsworthless must have some nude photos of these high ranking execs because he's just that...worthless. A total waste of oxygen. :angry:

Collinsworthless must have some nude photos of these high ranking execs because he's just that...worthless. A total waste of oxygen.  :angry:

599916[/snapback]

Do I understand your preference to be Theisman over Collinsworth?

Do I understand your preference to be Theisman over Collinsworth?

599917[/snapback]

No, you do not , as I can stomach neither...but thanks for drawing a conclussion based on two mutually exclusive choices. Just because I don't like Collinsworth means that I have to like Theisman?? :angry:

Collinsworth has very, very slowly earned my respect over the years as an analyst (while I still find his personality to be grating, he is candid and probably has a higher IQ than your average analyst), but NBC could not possibly have placed a billion dollar investment in his hands as a rookie unknown play by play guy. He and Costas might need someone to add a little levity to their booth - I think both guys take themselves awfully seriously.

Theismann will have a better shot in this booth than the last. Tirico will get more out of him than Mike Patrick, who is too busy gushing over everyone and everything to consider how he might get the most out of his announcers.

Z pretty much nailed it in his announcer column, but Madden and Michaels were very good this year in big games, and I'm glad they can continue to build on what they've started.

No, you do not , as I can stomach neither...but thanks for drawing a conclussion based on two mutually exclusive choices. Just because I don't like Collinsworth means that I have to like Theisman??  :angry:

599920[/snapback]

I had the feeling Theisman had become the "measure" in the string, and in that case I found it hard to imagine Collinsworth being brought up as a balanced comparative. On the other hand Randy Cross..........

I know this news will be met with the typical "Madden sucks" replys, but let me be the first (only?) to say that I am glad.  I too had grown tired of Madden on FOX, but I think he and Michaels were great together on MNF.  I think a lot of what I didn't like about Madden on FOX, was due at least in part to Summerall.  Summerall was getting old, and Madden was trying to carry a whole broadcast.

599475[/snapback]

Madden brought some of his tired schtick to MNF but it has tapered off drastically. And this year was probably the best I've seen of him, and I think that's a combination of now being familiar/comfortable with Michaels and that the producers of MNF have helped him a LOT in getting rid of the repetition, guffawing and general hucksterism.

When you ask Michaels, he absolutely gushes about the producers. (I've spoken to a couple who work in int'l soccer, NBA and NFL and they compliment Michaels right back). When they were so new to the scene, I doubt FOX was heavily investing in their staffing.

So, MNF is just going to be Sunday Night Football on NBC. Monday Night Football is now on ESPN and has quite possibly the worst two analysts in history with Tony Kornheiser (Dennis Miller wasn't available?) and Joe Theismann, who will still be annyoing the hell out of everyone every week. YAY! How will Tony ever get a word in? Not that it will be interesting or amusing anyways. Throw in TWO female sidleine reporters (Suzy "Lightsocket Hair" Kolber and Michele Toyota) and I think MNF will be a total disaster on ESPN. I hope they show at least some of the game between all the talking and the endless ESPN Promos.

Any idea who will be doing the Thursday/Saturday Games on the NFL Network? I heard Mike Patrick and Paul Maguire are doing college football games for ESPN. It's a shallow talent pool out there.

I have a great idea for the NFL. The Wednesday Night Game of the Week on the Home Shopping Channel. No announcers, no commercials, just hosts selling NFL merchandise during the entire game.

am i the only one who sees mike tirico as a huge upgrade over al michaels? i think the guy's gone a little stale, frankly, and i think tirico is very good. i don't watch PTR, but i would look forward to having tony k in the booth as well. as for theisman...well i guess you can't have everything.

So, MNF is just going to be Sunday Night Football on NBC. Monday Night Football is now on ESPN and has quite possibly the worst two analysts in history with Tony Kornheiser (Dennis Miller wasn't available?) and Joe Theismann, who will still be annyoing the hell out of everyone every week. YAY! How will Tony ever get a word in? Not that it will be interesting or amusing anyways.

600005[/snapback]

Now, how do you know TK is gunna suck? I have no idea, but TK a very interesting and enjoyable read and listen. I have been in DC since 87, and have been a fan of Tony sinnce the day I moved here.

The good thing is Tony and Theesman are friends, and Tony gives him chit all the time. Already started in the paper yesterday, saying he has no idea how he will pay attention with all the words coming out of Joes mouth. I think that him being friends with Joe will let Tony be more comfotable in calling him an idiot.

I am actually looking forward to it.

I saw this in my local paper this morning....

Disney Gets Lucky Rabbit Back

LOS ANGELES (AP) Feb. 10, 2006 - In exchange for allowing sportscaster Al Michaels to leave ABC early for a job at NBC Universal, The Walt Disney Company is getting back a piece of its history: The first animated character created by Disney.

His name was Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. The cheeky bunny was created by Disney and his chief creative partner in 1927 at the request of Universal Pictures.

Disney cranked out 26 of the silent Oswald cartoons. The character proved popular and soon began appearing on merchandise.

But Disney suffered a devastating blow when he found out that Universal owned the rights to Oswald, and would continue to create Oswald cartoons without Disney.

Disney recovered. He created a new cartoon character by the name of Mickey Mouse.

In the deal announced yesterday, Disney will get the rights to the Oswald character plus all 26 shorts created by Disney.

So where does Mike Patrick end up?  He wouldn't be too shabby for CBS or FOX to hire for play-by-play on day games.

599975[/snapback]

He'd be shabby anywhere, IMO. He sucks as a play-by-play guy. He's "Theisman" quality.

Here's a little known Al Michaels fact. The first NFL game that he did play-by-play for was in 1971 on NBC. The teams? Buffalo vs. Minnesota. Vikings won 19-0. Michaels remembered that the Bills only won one game in 1971 and that particular game was late in the season, it was very cold and that it was televised in only about 5 markets across the country.

i don't even know why she has a job on tv, other than the fact that she looks like she may have played football in college.

600008[/snapback]

:doh:

That was good.

About Kolber -- did you know she uses a teleprompter for her sideline gig? Saw it during the Denver game; the screen is about the size of a portable DVD player, mounted on a monopod that puts it right at eye-level.

What, she can't memorize a twenty-second soundbite?