Montana Snubbed the NFL

If the NFL is pissed, exclude him from everything in the future, kick him out of the Hall of Fame, remove his records.  They have the right to do all of that. 

596602[/snapback]

And I agree that would be going way too far. All I'm saying is that they should follow the lead that Montana has taken. If it's all about the money, so be it. They owe him nothing.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think a guy like Chuck Howley [sP] could have used the extra coin?

That would have been the problem for the NFL. Pay one, pay 'em all... That is 4 million bucks... They should have done it! Drop in the bucket.

Thinking about it... Maybe Joe made a stand for himself and the others?

Some of the others just happened to capitulate with the NFL out of public "need".

Same with Terry Bradshaw... Who knows?

???

Yeah, alienating a star who helped you get to the level you're at over .00001% of your annual revenue is really smart "big picture" business.

Joe Montana doesn't need to go to the SB to get star treatment.  He simply needs to go outside.

596596[/snapback]

You could turn the question around on Montana and ask if it makes sense to risk his reputation and image, which has led to lucrative appearance fees, endorsements business opportunities, etc. over a single event. Pretty foolish on Montana's part if you aske me.

If I was his agent, I would have told him he was risking mulitples of that $100,000 sum by looking like such a clown. Then again, most agents can't see the forest through the trees.

Why does money seem to always get in the way?  Couldn't these two players do it "for the game"?  Jeez, $1000 fee, 2 1st class air tickets, hotel, car, 2 tickets to the game, plus other perks, plus other $$$ making opp'ty seem like enough.

596626[/snapback]

Maybe Joe saw it for what it was--a tacky, poorly produced bit of filler before the next Bud Light commercial.

The former MVPs were guaranteed $1,000 for incidental expenses while in Detroit. The NFL also provided each former Super Bowl MVP with two first-class airplane tickets, a hotel room, a Cadillac for the weekend, two tickets to the game, two tickets to the Friday night commissioner's party, two tickets to a Saturday night party and two tickets to a Sunday tailgate party. There also were opportunities for paid appearances arranged by the NFL.

This wasn't good enough for him???

This wasn't good enough for him???

596636[/snapback]

My point exactly. Just think of how much money the NFL could have made for charity (Katrina, NFL YET, United Way, NFL Alumni, anything) from picture reprints of that photo op. Potentially once in a lifetime chance.

It's code for:  "Sorry can't make it, I plan on boozing it up before, during and after the game."

596764[/snapback]

"...and thus can't afford to get cornered by Suzy on-air...I actually have a job besides 'former Super Bowl winning QB.'"

If the Montana thing is true, about the money, he is pretty much a scumbag. If Bradshaw wanted to watch the game with his wife and kids, then so be it, Although being there when the Steelers won it, that might have been a special moment, and a good photo op with Hines.

No...they do "owe" the NFL. If it wasnt for the game of football and the NFL, those two dumb schitts would be working the late shift at the local carwash...especially that dumbass Bradshaw.

596277[/snapback]

tenneesee boy said it best they dont owe the nfl sh--! when the nfl is charging 2.5 mil a ad for the superbowl and you know the nfl is strong arming everybody else for everything they want.why shouldnt joe montana demand a fee..........the nfl is charging a fee in a sense to see joe montana

You could turn the question around on Montana and ask if it makes sense to risk his reputation and image, which has led to lucrative appearance fees, endorsements business opportunities, etc. over a single event.  Pretty foolish on Montana's part if you aske me.

If I was his agent, I would have told him he was risking mulitples of that $100,000 sum by looking like such a clown.  Then again, most agents can't see the forest through the trees.

596632[/snapback]

You might also think that Montana should remember from whence he came.

He's just another dork, like everyone else, if the NFL didn't exist.

A point of information--and nothing more:

John Riggins reported this afternoon on the "Afternoon Blitz" (Sirius Radio) that after the former MVPs were all introduced they were herded wayyyyy upstairs to seats in section 700. Apparently, they were right across the aisle from a SRO section.

Now, I don't think the NFL owes these guys anything, nor do they owe the NFL anything. But c'mon, NFL. You couldn't come up with some decent seats for some of the best players in the history of the league?!

Montana has a huge ego, and Bradshaw's not far behind. It is possible that they weren't happy with the accomodations.

Riggins is a class act. Hearing him complaining (a little bit, mind you, and then he moved on quickly) really got my attention.

Do you think the NFL payed the Rolling Stones for their mediocre performance? I do. Do you think the other musicians there got paid? I do. Why should Montana do something for free or a low fee when others are getting paid?

As was discussed earlier, the relationship between the NFL and Montana was a two-way street: each helped the other get money. So they're even, which means Montana should be treated like every non-football celebrity the NFL invited in.

I missed the MVP thing (was out getting pizza) and nobody i've talked to paid much attention to it.  But I'm curious, was Freddy Biletnikopf present?  Would have liked to see the SB MVP that went to my high school and my dad played against :blush:

596972[/snapback]

Yes.

Obviously, he like many others MVP's had very low self-esteem (unlike Joe and Terry) that he attended... :devil::lol:

Good ole Fred... Wasn't he the one with "Stick em" all over the place (not as bad as Lester Hayes though)? He'd also get so nevous before games that he would chew his finger nails to the pulp to ease the tension... Had major ulcers too?

I see good ole Fred went to your HS... :D

I actually like him also... Seems like a great guy... Please take my jokes lightly.

:P

I missed the MVP thing (was out getting pizza) and nobody i've talked to paid much attention to it.  But I'm curious, was Freddy Biletnikopf present?  Would have liked to see the SB MVP that went to my high school and my dad played against :blush:

596972[/snapback]

I wonder how many catches a player like Freddie would have in this era of no bump 'n run...

Sad note: In 1999 IIRC, his 20 year-old daughter was murdered by her boyfriend. :P

If the NFL is pissed, exclude him from everything in the future, kick him out of the Hall of Fame, remove his records.  They have the right to do all of that. 

596602[/snapback]

Montana has said that he refused for the simple reason that he wanted to spend time with his kids and watch the game with his family. No big deal really.

But the NFL, regardless of how angry they get with a player, should never remove that player's stats and accomplishments from their books. That'd be ridiulous, IMO. Also, the NFL can not kick him out of the HoF, it's the Professional Football Hall of Fame, not the NFL Hall of Fame. They're seperate entities.