Seattle Fans Petition

millbank

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right... if it happened to the Bills, we'd be mad as hell, and if it worked in our favor and we won a SB we'd be on cloud 9. The key thing here is, that, most of us weren't pulling heavily one way or the other in this game and thus can look at it objectively. I can say, going into the game, I just wanted to see a good game and didn't care which team took it. But, as the game went on, you could see Seattle getting absolutely shafted.

The first TD called back, I could accept... I thought it was ticky tack, but the rule is the rule... OK. But, that holding call that brought it back from what would've been first and goal on the 2 yd. line or whatever, was completely a phantom call... no way to defend it. Then on Big Ben's TD run... I'm sorry, I don't think it was in, but it was obviously very close, and I could accept that, EXCEPT the linesman originally called it down short, then AFTER the play was blown dead and Ben lunged forward a bit after he was down, the linesman changes his mind and calls it a TD. What's with that? I'm inclined to believe he saw Ben lunge forward at the end, but he was already DOWN at that point, and to me it simply didn't look like the ball ever broke the plain before his knees touched. What's more frustrating is, on big game deciding plays, you could see the Steelers getting a handful of Seahawk jersey and clearly held on a few runs by Big Ben that sprung him to seal the deal. Which would've been ok... let em play I suppose, but they never afforded the Seahawks that luxury all game.

I will say, the Stevens incompletion, I thought was a fumble, which worked in the Seahawks favor. However, most of the bad calls seemed to go heavily in the Seelers favor and I think may have impacted the outcome. I had no interest in either team, but I do have to say by game's end I had a lot of hostility toward this officiating crew. They were terrible.

596330[/snapback]

But the Steven's play WAS A FUMBLE and should have been reviewed by SEATTLE... Seattle got jobbed on that play too.

REMEMBER, he fumbled the ball OUT OF BOUNDS... Would have been a big gain in the red zone for the Seahawks.

That is a play the Seahwaks screwed up that might have overcome a ref call.

Go figure!

Lurker, did MH say something today?  Not following the press coverage.

If he did, he is entitled to say something a little after... Ala Gruden and the "tuck rule."

???

596367[/snapback]

Not that I've seen. The Seattle-Tacoma press coverage isn't focusing on "refs" and "fix" like large segments of TSW are. The only thing like that that I've seen this morning from is Michael Wilbon, who in the grand tradition of ESPN/Fox sports "entertainers" is using the F-word.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/home/index.html

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/seaha...p-4964087c.html

You lost me...what articles did you post?  I went to both Seattle papers websites and did a scan of headlines, and not a single one mentions officiating.  Either they are deliberatly downplaying it for other reasons, or they didn't think the refs lost the game for them (I do, but I'm just reporting what I se)

PTR

596262[/snapback]

here's one that I read this morning, and I didn't go looking for it either...Fox Sports

here's one that I read this morning, and I didn't go looking for it either...Fox Sports

596410[/snapback]

Fox, it figures. Just another "Look at me! Look at me!" / Dancing with the Stars / hot pockets media outlet that has to light themselves on fire to get attention and sell advertising. :(

Seattle fans very angry at officials are signing a Petition

This from the Seattle Post site Seahawk forum

Petition

595993[/snapback]

Well if anything, my guess is that the officiating crew from last nights game will not be doing the super bowl next season.

Fox, it figures.  Just another "Look at me! Look at me!" / Dancing with the Stars / hot pockets media outlet that has to light themselves on fire to get attention and sell advertising.  :(

596425[/snapback]

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2006/02/0.../audibles/3631/

Here is a link to some comments about the brutal officiating last night. At the bottom of the story are some links to other sites about the officiating as well.

Pretty much says it all......

Here is a link to some comments about the brutal officiating last night. At the bottom of the story are some links to other sites about the officiating as well.

596439[/snapback]

Skip Bayless would rather rip his own balls off with his teeth than say something nice about the city of Seattle and HE wrote a column today about the bad officials.

:(

596439[/snapback]

Yep, Fox, Slate, Skip Bayless, and Florio: a real murderer's row there. :(

Not that I've seen.  The Seattle-Tacoma press coverage isn't focusing on "refs" and "fix" like large segments of TSW are.  The only thing like that that I've seen this morning from is Michael Wilbon, who in the grand tradition of ESPN/Fox sports "entertainers" is using the F-word.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/home/index.html

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/seaha...p-4964087c.html

596373[/snapback]

Thanks... That is a good sign. The Seahawks, fans, and the whole northwest should stay out of it and take the high ground.

It is for the rest to bring it up and light a fire under the NFL's arse.

Impartiality is important.

The refs were garbage yesterday but when the hell have they ever been any good?

This sequence in the 4th finally ruined the NFL for me for a good long while and I didn't even care who won the game. Phantom holding call on Seattle on the pass to the one, Porter not called for a "horse collar" tackle on Alexander and then an illegal block penalty on Hasselback who was not blocking but making a tackle after his INT. One missed/bad call- that happens at least once a quarter but three in less than 45 seconds? I hope the Steelers at least give the refs Super Bowl rings, if not a full game check. Seattle did not play well but throw in the rinky dink offensive pass interference on a TD, Ben R's phantom TD that was not overturned on replay and numerous holding calls on Seattle on third downs that they converted and there you have it.

The NFL needs to have full time refs who pass an annual physical, eye test and a tough conditioning test. Calls need to be made consistently both ways and also have to be called right close to 100% of the time. Until then, the NFL is just a big joke.

A few sample signatures. Kind of takes away the credibility of the poll:

Name Comments

6178. Matt Hasselback Stevens apparently was blinded by my shiny head, because he couldn't catch a damned thing I threw at him. I think Porter would make a better "tight end", wink wink...

6177. Robert Brown

6176. Angela Peterson It was so obvious who the refs were for! We didn't play perfectly but come on!!!!!

6175. Jason Flores Some one should lose their job over how poorly this game was offciated!

6174. STEELERS TEAM WE ARE GOING TO MAKE YOU POOP IN OUR MOUTHS AND LICK OUR PEE-PEE OF OF THE DIRTY TOILET SEATS BECAUSE WE ARE BIG STEALERS!!! THAT'S RIGHT, US THE STEELERS STOLE THE GAME!!!!

6173. Jack Just Sickening! Where were all the make up calls for Seattle? Now that would have been too comical I guess. But lets not forget, this is supposed to be entertainment, right? One thing is for sure, I will never be involved in the NFL again. I can find more above the board ways to be entertained!

6172. Corina Smith The refs at Superbowl XL make me want to shove the football so far up their poop shooters that they will never be able to dispose of feces again!

6171. PIKE STREET FISH MARKET Something smells in Seattle!! Could it be the fish or just the Seattle fans, all twelve of them. THE STEELERS KICKED YOUR PANSY BUTTS ALL OVER THE FIELD. GO SECEDE TO CANADA. YOU ARE SUCH LITTLE BABIES. GO DRINK YOUR BOTTLE!!!!

You lost me...what articles did you post?  I went to both Seattle papers websites and did a scan of headlines, and not a single one mentions officiating.  Either they are deliberatly downplaying it for other reasons, or they didn't think the refs lost the game for them (I do, but I'm just reporting what I se)

PTR

596262[/snapback]

On Sportcenter, one of the questions they posed of the analysts is, "what will be the lasting memory of SB XL?" The answer was the poor officiating. I haven't read a lot today, but ESPN Radio, and FOX Sports Radio have been talking non-stop about the poor officiating. Not just callers, but guests as well....Keith Oberman went off on the officiating on the Dan Patrick show.

I gotta say, the officiating was pretty awful. The phantom hold on the Seattle pass to the 1 yard line was the worst. The "tackling below the waist" call on Hasselback was pretty bad too. I was not convinced that Roethlesberger scored on the TD run, but that is not to say they wouldn't have on the next play. The offensive interference call on Darrell Jackson, that nullified his TD catch, while technically correct, was still a pretty lousy call....

Really, I didn't care who won this game, I just wanted to see a good game. I think the officiating made it one of the worst Super Bowls in recent history. This game should have been a lot closer than it was...the officiating this postseason seemed to be the story of the playoffs.

I must say, this years postseason was the worst in some time. The only truly memorable game was the Colts/Steelers game, and that was only memeorable, because of the poor officiating.

I empathize with Seattle fans. They were on the wrong end of a couple of close and/or questionable calls and had a couple of bad breaks. Pittsburgh also endured a couple of questionable calls (I would argue the worst calls went against Pittsburgh).

But, the bottom line is, they played poorly and got beat by a better team (that also played pretty poorly). None of the three teams (Pitt, Seattle or the officials) had a stellar day. But they did NOT get shafted, IMO. All this talk about fixes and the NFL wanting Pittsburgh to win and so the game was influenced, is all really overblown.

Seahawk fans need to stop their whining and get over it. Hopefully, Pittsburgh fans will be humble enough to know that, while they were the better team, they weren't very good. Of course, the chances of either of those happening is, well, non-existant.