At $2.5M for 30 seconds, it'd better be good

UConn James

I start this thread with a story of a Super Bowl past. It was the later '60s and my father was watching the recently-created "Super Bowl" game at a friends' house. An ad comes on for Marlboro cigarettes, featuring a lithe actress in what was described to me as "extremely racy, for the time." He stands up when the commercial is done and the friend's father and mother, with furrowed brows, ask, "Where're you going?! It's just the third quarter!" The reply: :blush: "I'm going out to get a pack of Julie Londons."

On tap for this year....

Jessica Simpson in skimpy red outfit and cowboy boots hawking Pizza Hut where the outer crust is comprised of bite-sized cheese-filled pockets that taste just as nasty and are just as bad for you as the rest of the pizza.

More from the CareerBuilder monkeys-in-suits.

Kermit-de-Frog for the Ford hybrid.

Also read something about the first national-broadcast bilingual advertisement.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I start this thread with a story of a Super Bowl past. It was the later '60s and my father was watching the recently-created "Super Bowl" game at a friends' house. An ad comes on for Marlboro cigarettes, featuring a lithe actress in what was described to me as "extremely racy, for the time." He stands up when the commercial is done and the friend's father and mother, with furrowed brows, ask, "Where're you going?! It's just the third quarter!" The reply:  :blush:  "I'm going out to get a pack of Julie Londons."

On tap for this year....

Jessica Simpson in skimpy red outfit and cowboy boots hawking Pizza Hut where the outer crust is comprised of bite-sized cheese-filled pockets that taste just as nasty and are just as bad for you as the rest of the pizza.

More from the CareerBuilder monkeys-in-suits.

Kermit-de-Frog for the Ford hybrid.

Also read something about the first national-broadcast bilingual advertisement.

594744[/snapback]

Dude that pizza is NASTY! I was stuck at home the other day with no car, so I thought I'd just order in some pizza....I had already tried the Papa Johns new pan pizza thing (and let me tell you, Dan Marino is full of sh--!!!), so since I kind of like the stuffed crust Pizza Hut thing, I thought I'd give it a shot. Those little pop off things are completely STUPID. If they maybe would have put a little olive oil and some parmesan on them, they might be half decent. But they were dry and nasty!

No more Pizza Hut for me.....back to my little Italian joint, or maybe Johnny's.

One thing I've grown to dislike is how all these different news shows, now have "sneak peeks" of the SB commercials. I like being surprised by what they come out with. The bladder infection from holding it in is worth it.

594780[/snapback]

LOL, I agree

From the late great Bill Hicks- the man was a genius!

By the way, if anyone here is in advertising or marketing, kill yourself. Thank you, thank you. Just a little thought. I'm just trying to plant seeds. Maybe one day they'll take root. I don't know. You try. You do what you can. Kill yourselves. Seriously though, if you are, do. No really, there's no rationalisation for what you do, and you are Satan's little helpers, OK? Kill yourselves, seriously. You're the ruiner of all things good. Seriously, no, this is not a joke. "There's gonna be a joke coming..." There's no !@#$ing joke coming, you are Satan's spawn, filling the world with bile and garbage, you are !@#$ed and you are !@#$ing us, kill yourselves, it's the only way to save your !@#$ing soul. Kill yourself, kill yourself, kill yourself now. Now, back to the show.

"You know what Bill's doing now, he's going for the righteous indignation dollar, that's a big dollar, a lot of people are feeling that indignation, we've done research, huge market. He's doing a good thing." Godammit, I'm not doing that, you scumbags, quit putting a godamn dollar sign on every !@#$ing thing on this planet!

So all things considered, especially the all money spent on these spots, who is really going to purchase any of the products?

Commercials remain commercials and if you're at a party, watching the game, talking to your friends and generally enjoying yourself, you're going to use the commercial time to take care of business ala take a leak, so what's the point? :blush:

One thing I've grown to dislike is how all these different news shows, now have "sneak peeks" of the SB commercials. I like being surprised by what they come out with. The bladder infection from holding it in is worth it.

594780[/snapback]

Amen, I like being surprised too. I do buy the USA Today section which previews all the commercials, but it hardly spoils them.

I always look forward to the movie previews. Unfortunately they picked terrible trailers.

The Shaggy Dog: yes this will be a family hit, but could'nt Disney have picked something more exciting, like "Cars"? :lol:

16 Blocks: This movie looks alright, but hardly Super Bowl worthy.

V for Vendetta: This one I can understand. A very interesting premise, based on a comic book.

Mission Impossible III: I could care less since i do not care for this movie series. It is an action film, so it fits with the Super Bowl. Also Philip Seymour Hoffman as the bad guy is really cool.

Poseidon: Boooooorrrrrrriiiiiiiinnnnggg!!! Yes it's a disaster film, with a big cast, but seriously, this movie does not look that exciting.

So there you have it, no X3, no Superman Returns, no Pirates of the Carribean 2, or any other exciting summer movies. Sigh :doh:

Suzi Kolber's hand looks lizardlike in HD.

1) Blockbordedom Online, free instore rentals, BFD. You guys kept losing 'em in the mail for me.

P.S. I tune in at 6:18 to avoid the pre-game crap. And it's Scobee Dobee Doh to the 17.

Doh, didn't see the pinned topic. I'll join in there. Mods, kill this thread.

1) Blockbuster Online, who cares.

2) Bud light. This isn't promising. Yep, the office is rioting, cuz they sure aint drunk off that p!sswater.

3) What the hell is this crap? Oh God, Burger King on Broadway. This is the stuff of fever dreams.

3) What the hell is this crap? Oh God, Burger King on Broadway. This is the stuff of fever dreams.

595145[/snapback]

:doh:

It cost them roughly $4M just to air that piece of sh-- commercial. For the first time in 30 years, Burger King has a coherent marketing campaign...and it's coherent crap. :lol:

Had I not been boycotting Burger King already (simply because their food is crap), I would over that stupid commercial.

6:39 break

1) Sierra Mist at the airport. Weak. That would have been funny if they guy was sneaking a 2-liter under a turban.

2) God I Hate Bud Light. Every single commercial of theirs makes me want to never even see their product again, let alone buy it.

3) Some film starring the reanimated corpse of Bruce Willis or something.

But then the Islamic world would torch all our embassies...  :lol:

595152[/snapback]

but that would mean that they'd have had to watch the super bowl, which would negate their argument that they hate the western world and what we stand for... but i digress.