Any interest in Luke Petitgout?

OnTheRocks

Personally I think it would be taking a long term step backward for a short term step forward. But if there is anyone that hasn't thrown Jim McNally under a bus, he might be able to work with Luke to show the rest of the stooges on the OL how to block.

From Pro Football Weekly "Whispers section on 1/23/2006:

There’s growing talk in Giants circles that the team is down on Luke Petitgout and might not consider him as the team’s left tackle for much longer. Expect the team to add a young tackle this offseason who might be able to push Petitgout, who started strong this season but finished poorly.

Check this out....he is the highest paid Giant according to this link. Scroll down and you will see it.

I don't know him to be a star, but he is said to be a versatile lineman.

591426[/snapback]

for years he was the best they had....but now it appears he might be on the downside. i don't watch the Giants enough to know how he looks or what he would be worth if cut.

What exactly is the difference bewteen Pettigout and Gandy other than cost?

Everyone seems to be in a hurry to replace Gandy and he wasn't that bad. It isn't as though every single RDE in the league feasted on us. Not to mention that LT's are the most expensive lineman out there. Since GFandy isn't a revolving door and we certianly have other needs can we PLEASE spend our money at LG and C first?

Everyone seems to be in a hurry to replace Gandy and he wasn't that bad.  It isn't as though every single RDE in the league feasted on us.  Not to mention that LT's are the most expensive lineman out there.  Since GFandy isn't a revolving door and we certianly have other needs can we PLEASE spend our money at LG and C first?

591457[/snapback]

i thought this was the place to post everyone and anyone that we have ever heard of that we expect might be availabe. :doh:

Everyone seems to be in a hurry to replace Gandy and he wasn't that bad.  It isn't as though every single RDE in the league feasted on us.  Not to mention that LT's are the most expensive lineman out there.  Since GFandy isn't a revolving door and we certianly have other needs can we PLEASE spend our money at LG and C first?

591457[/snapback]

The idea is if we get Petitgout (or another Left OT) we can shift Gandy to LG. Considering that Jauoron had Gandy playing G in Chicago it's not completely far fetched. In terms of Luke, he's an average LT and definately consider him so long the price is right and at age 30 (when the season roles along) he still has a few more good years left in him.. Though I feel LJ Shelton and (a healthy) Mike Pearson would be better options. I know Jeff Backus is the popular choice but just don't see him fitting here given the cap situation so looking at alternatives is a good thing to do.

yeah, we need to upgrade the lines, so how does it make sense to bring a guy in to start at LT that another team doesnt want and thinks is garbage? isnt that what we've been doing the last 5 years?

591565[/snapback]

While the whispers talk about poor play toward the end of the season are worrison, the talk about being the highest paid player also shed light on the subject. As in this day and age often not wanting a guy has more to due with his salary than anything else.

Personally I think it would be taking a long term step backward for a short term step forward.  But if there is anyone that hasn't thrown Jim McNally under a bus, he might be able to work with Luke to show the rest of the stooges on the OL how to block.

From Pro Football Weekly "Whispers section on 1/23/2006:

591199[/snapback]

He is better at false starting than Bennie Anderson. I think Pettigout had 5 in one game. This guy is really awful at this point in his career. The downside is too large. Did I mention Bennie Anderson?

He is better at false starting than Bennie Anderson.  I think Pettigout had 5 in one game.  This guy is really awful at this point in his career.  The downside is too large.  Did I mention Bennie Anderson?

591623[/snapback]

What do you think of Backus? I have not seen much of him on the Lions, but he looked good coming out of college.

Personally, I am thinking that Peters will be the LT next year, no?

While the whispers talk about poor play toward the end of the season are worrison, the talk about being the highest paid player also shed light on the subject. As in this day and age often not wanting a guy has more to due with his salary than anything else.

591573[/snapback]

Can you say Ruben Brown? You are exactly right, Joker.

I'd rather see them leave Gandy at tackle for the coming year, draft a LT with your second round pick aimed at starting next year. Then sign a high quality guard to replace Anderson. I'd prefer to do it that was as you likely could sign a top level guard for alot less than a tackle. Have Preston as your center, and leave CV and JP on the right side. I'd also comsider resigning TT, but only for low $$ and as a backup for tackle and/or center. I maybe could even go as far as say him and Gandy compete for starting LT spot. But the following year the rookie takes over anyway.

I'd rather see them leave Gandy at tackle for the coming year, draft a LT with your second round pick aimed at starting next year.  Then sign a high quality guard to replace Anderson.  I'd prefer to do it that was as you likely could sign a top level guard for alot less than a tackle.  Have Preston as your center, and leave CV and JP on the right side.  I'd also comsider resigning TT, but only for low $$ and as a backup for tackle and/or center.  I maybe could even go as far as say him and Gandy compete for starting LT spot.  But the following year the rookie takes over anyway.

591795[/snapback]

This isn't a bad plan so long there's a LT prospect avaialable in Round 2. Right now I'm not sure there will be but of course last year I never expected Khalif Barnes to fall into Round 2. So maybe after taking Ngata in Round 1 we can hope for Daryn Colledge in Round 2.

WHy do some people want to keep moving people around? 

592031[/snapback]

It's a "fan thing". The truth hurts. It hurts to admit that players on your favorite team suck. So there is a natural desire to think that by reshuffling the deck some of the proven tubs of goo in the trenches will suddenly blossom into half decent players. The line of thought follows the predictable path: If that guy was only playing another position, he'd be smarter, more motivated, stronger, quicker, faster, better suited to our systems, less injured...

Some players do get better, of course. But that is because they are motivated to be good players and/or tired of getting their ass handed to them every Sunday and being a joke on the street. But for those that do rise to the occasion and improve, it is rarely the result of shuffling guys around on the line.