Any interest in Luke Petitgout?

OnTheRocks

It's a "fan thing".  The truth hurts.  It hurts to admit that players on your favorite team suck.  So there is a natural desire to think that by reshuffling the deck some of the proven tubs of goo in the trenches will suddenly blossom into half decent players.  The line of thought follows the predictable path: If that guy was only playing another position, he'd be smarter, more motivated, stronger, quicker, faster, better suited to our systems, less injured...

Some players do get better, of course.  But that is because they are motivated to be good players and/or tired of getting their ass handed to them every Sunday and being a joke on the street.  But for those that do rise to the occasion and improve, it is rarely the result of shuffling guys around on the line.

592113[/snapback]

You know, I never really looked at it this way, but I think you make a very valid observation.

That being said, I think Gandy should still be moved to LG! :D

You know, I never really looked at it this way, but I think you make a very valid observation.

That being said, I think Gandy should still be moved to LG!  :D

592131[/snapback]

Oh, I don't necessarily disagree. My comment was intended more generally.

Actually, if you really want to talk about shuffling lineman around and its effects, you need not look far at all. Consider Tom Donahoe and his attempt to shuffle up an NFL line.

1) Drafted a RT because he might be able to play LT. He stayed at RT but then got moved to LG. The move was a disaster.

2) Signed a LT and moved him to C. At LT he was on one of the best lines in the NFL. At C, he's overpowered and a below average player. Still making the good money though.

3) Signed a RG/utility lineman and moved him to LT. He's below average at LT.

4) Signed a RG and moved him to LG. He's horrible.

5) Signed a TE and moved him to RT. He's athletic enough to pass block, but is learning on the job and his run blocking is suspect. He's also perhaps the "best" lineman on the team. <sigh>

6) Signed a RG and moved ... no wait! ... let him play RG. But, he's old and injured and ineffective.

The point being a line made up of shuffled players doesn't necessarily work too well.

The point being a line made up of shuffled players doesn't necessarily work too well.

592152[/snapback]

Agreed, its a matter of targeting the weaknesses, addressing it, and making a committment to stick with it. In the case of the O-line its drafting or aquiring players for a specific spot and leaving them there. You're right in that the old regime's thought process was to get a body and "lets see if it'll work right here....nope, maybe over here".

Maybe now things will get done the right way.