Buffalo News is reporting the Bills have hired DC.

Spanky46

Fewell's bio from the Bears' web site:

Seven-year NFL veteran Perry Fewell is in his first season as the Bears defensive backs coach after being hired on January 20, 2005. Fewell spent the previous two seasons as the secondary coach for the St. Louis Rams after serving five seasons in the same position for the Jacksonville Jaguars (1998-2002).

Fewell has coached two Pro Bowlers during his NFL tenure: safety Carnell Lake with Jacksonville in 1999 and safety Aeneas Williams with St. Louis in 2003. In his first season in St. Louis where he coached under thendefensive coordinator Lovie Smith, Fewell helped the Rams tie for fourth in the NFL with 24 interceptions. In Jacksonville, he helped the Jaguars register a franchise-record 19 interceptions in 1999. Fewell has coached in the playoffs in four of his seven NFL seasons.

Prior to advancing to the NFL, Fewell spent 13 seasons as an assistant coach in college. As the secondary coach at Vanderbilt from 1995-97 (assistant head coach/secondary in 1997), Fewell tutored two players who are currently playing in the NFL. Minnesota's Corey Chavous, a 2003 Pro Bowler, finished his career in 1997 with the fourth-most interceptions in Commodores history before being drafted in the second round by Arizona. San Francisco cornerback and returner Jimmy Williams finished his career in 1997 with the seventh-most interceptions all-time at Vandy after beginning his career with one season under Fewell. Originally drafted in the sixth round by Buffalo in 2001, Williams started a career-high six of 12 games played for the 49ers in 2004.

Fewell began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at North Carolina from 1985-86, followed by a season as the defensive backs coach at Army in 1987. He coached wide receivers at Kent State from 1988-91, before returning to Army as the defensive line coach from 1992-94.

A four-year letterwinning defensive back at Lenoir-Rhyne College, Fewell was named the team's most improved player in 1983. He attended South Point High School in Belmont, N.C. and was inducted into the Belmont Sports Hall of Fame in 2001. Fewell and his wife, Kathleen, have one son.

Perry Fewell - Defensive Backs

Playing Experience

Defensive Back, Lenoir-Rhyne College, 1981-84

Coaching Experience

Pro coach: Chicago Bears (defensive backs) 2005-present; St. Louis Rams (secondary) 2003-04; Jacksonville Jaguars (secondary) 1998-2002. College coach: Vanderbilt (assistant head coach/secondary) 1997; Vanderbilt (secondary) 1995-96; Army (defensive line) 1992-94; Kent State (wide receivers) 1988-91; Army (defensive backs) 1987; North Carolina (graduate assistant) 1985-86.

In this morning's Buffalo News they are reporting that the Bills have come to terms with Perry Fewell to be their Defensive Coordinator.  I do not know too much about this guy except that Lovie Smith thinks alot of this guy.

589246[/snapback]

I figured it would be one of the last two guys they interviewed. I noticed he also has a little Chicago Bears connection from 2005.

I figured it would be one of the last two guys they interviewed. I noticed he also has a little Chicago Bears connection from 2005.

589264[/snapback]

Let the negative comments begin, he is no good, too old, too young, inexperienced, yatta, yatta, yatta.

I'm just glad we didn't bring back Cottrell....I appreciate what he did for us and all, but I really prefer we start fresh.

The guy has learned and had sucess under Coughlin and L. Smith, we could do a lot worse. It will be interesting to see if Jauron needs to focus a bit more attention to that side of the ball. I think Jauron could help this fella out a lot, but based on his and Levy's comments, Jauron's role is really as a macro manager, not micro.

I think that we can afford to have an inexperienced DC cut his teeth under Juron. We have a veteren defense and a head coach with a defensive background. I am sure that DJ and Marevlous were very thorough in the interview process, seems like it could be a solid hire.

Erm, how'd that pass defense look inChicago the last time they played?

*winces*

589290[/snapback]

Defenders tripped and fell down on 2 of Steve Smiths long TD's.

Smith is a great player, so I wouldnt hold that against him. The guy was making 40 yard catches with a Saftey and a CB both getting out worked for the ball.

Im gonna reserve my judgement on this till the 2006 season is in full swing..

But just on the surface...do some of you wish the Bills hired a DC that has more expertise in the DL or LB portion of a defense or is that aspect overrated?

And I say that only because Jauron was a DB..Im sure he is knowledgeable about a secondary

Im gonna reserve my judgement on this till the 2006 season is in full swing..

But just on the surface...do some of you wish the Bills hired a DC that has more expertise in the DL or LB portion of a defense or is that aspect overrated?

And I say that only because Jauron was a DB..Im sure he is knowledgeable about a secondary

589305[/snapback]

Chuck Lester coached the LB's during the Wade years, so he knows LB's. Kollar has many years of DL experience.

Just what we need another rookie coordinator! Yikes!

How is DJ suppose to delicate responsibility to his coordinators and just over see everything, when he has to worry about a rookie DC. Come on this hire is a joke.

BTW

I just wanted to be the first person to B word and complain about the hire.

I really think the new DC will be fine.

:D

In this morning's Buffalo News they are reporting that the Bills have come to terms with Perry Fewell to be their Defensive Coordinator.  I do not know too much about this guy except that Lovie Smith thinks alot of this guy.

589246[/snapback]

I don't know much about Fewell either, and the Bears secondary had a couple of Pro-Bowlers, which speaks well, but I wonder how highly Lovie Smith actually does think of the guy.

I recall an article a few days ago about the Bills wanting to interview Chicago's linebacker coach for the DC position, and Lovie blocked that by promoting him to Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers. As far as I know, he didn't do that for Fewell.

589246[/snapback]

After the rash of coaches from Pittsburgh, is it Chicago's turn ? Jauron and now Fewell ! Kidding ofcourse. I actually am looking forward to seeing how he performs having worked with good defensive coaches and from a team with a good defense. Given that there was not much to pick from, this hire is interesting.

Everywhere he has gone, the team has made the playoffs. Jacksonville 2 times, St Louis 2 times, chicago 1 time. Playoffs the last 3 years.

His pass defenses have been average or great., nothing bad.  Lovie Smith says great things about this guy.

589267[/snapback]

Great stat!

I like what I just read about the guy. Sounds like an up and coming DC. Hey, we need some fresh blood and this seems like a good hire.

I know a lot of people don't like some of the hires this offseason, but I gotta admit, I'm pretty happy with them. Granted, Fewell wasn't the coordinator in Chicago but he probably learned a lot from Lovie Smith (one of the best defensive minds in football). A combination of the Rams O and Bears D sounds like a good combo to me. Plus, Jauron has a great reputation as being highly respected, I believe we mind have something here. Granted we need some more players but I feel pretty good right now. :lol: