The Wall and OTW. Why does the main wall suck?

The Dean

When Fearless Leader first proposed the creation of an "Off Topic" board, I was not convinced it was a good idea. Over the years, OT posts would rise and fall based, for the most part, on what real Bills news there was to discuss. There were times when the tomfoolery got out of control (guilty as charged)...but it seemed to work itself out. So I wasn't a big fan of having to jump back and forth between the boards. :D

But, I put my trust in Fearless Leader and said, whatever you do is fine. This is SDS's world...he's just kind enough to let us live in it. :D

Well...I was wrong. Off the Wall is a great idea. It works. I've had no problem adjusting and by the looks of it, most others have adapted well, too. During the season it keeps the "junk" out of the way and focuses our attention on the Bills. :lol:

But, I'm thinking the seperation is what makes the Main Wall so freakin' horrible right now. Since it's just for Bills/football posts, there's not a lot to talk about right now (the last few days have been brutal...no?). But, some feel the need to post new thoughts and threads over there (I understand that) and we end up with threads like "Who would be a better football player, Shaq or Tiger" and "What Bill would you want to have with you in a fight" (I know those aren't the exact titles of the threads). Holy freakin s#it...what's become of us?

I'm not proposing that we change back. As I said, this works. But, this is our first season with the new set-up and we're seeing some unintended negative consequences, IMO. I've found myself posting in threads I wouldn't even open in the past. We just need to get past this...and the Bills need to announce a DC before CTM makes meazza kill himself. (Or would that be an unintended positive consequence.) :lol:

I'm KIDDING, meazza. It's clear it is certainly intended.

EDIT...I originally had CTW...this should explain the following posts. My bad

Edited by The Dean

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monkeys clearly have better arms than walrus. Even if it's a piece of crap, it's all about how you grip it.

589149[/snapback]

Monkey's do have the advantage in accuracy, but a Walrus has a distinct advantage in payload

its like the difference between a surgical strike and carpet bombing

Dean,

It's an interesting theory (actually, throwing the CTW theory in there as well, it's 2 interesting theories), but I think the problem with the main board is simply that the Bills are in a very bad / chaotic place right now and no amount of wishful thinking by posters will change that.

Considering I spend far more time on the Sabres board than the main Bills board, I am very glad SDS separated this one from the main board. If threads such as the "peanuts in the doorway / my (former) coworker is a loon" thread were kept on the main board, by the time I got over there they'd be buried under 200 "so and so should be the next DC" threads. I'd miss all the classics, at least until it gets close to draft time and there is a reason to venture over there more than once every week or 2.

When Fearless Leader first proposed the creation of an "Off Topic" board, I was not convinced it was a good idea.  Over the years, OT posts would rise and fall based, for the most part, on what real Bills news there was to discuss.  There were times when the tomfoolery got out of control (guilty as charged)...but it seemed to work itself out.  So I wasn't a big fan of having to jump back and forth between the boards.  :D

But, I put my trust in Fearless Leader and said, whatever you do is fine.  This is SDS's world...he's just kind enough to let us live in it.  :D

Well...I was wrong.  Off the Wall is a great idea.  It works.  I've had no problem adjusting and by the looks of it, most others have adapted well, too.  During the season it keeps the "junk" out of the way and focuses our attention on the Bills.  :lol:

But, I'm thinking the seperation is what makes the Main Wall so freakin' horrible right now.  Since it's just for Bills/football posts, there's not a lot to talk about right now (the last few days have been brutal...no?).  But, some feel the need to post new thoughts and threads over there (I understand that) and we end up with threads like "Who would be a better football player, Shaq or Tiger" and "What Bill would you want to have with you in a fight" (I know those aren't the exact titles of the threads).  Holy freakin s#it...what's become of us?

I'm not proposing that we change back.  As I said, this works.  But, this is our first season with the new set-up and we're seeing some unintended negative consequences, IMO.  I've found myself posting in threads I wouldn't even open in the past.  We just need to get past this...and the Bills need to announce a DC before CTM makes meazza kill himself.  (Or would that be an unintended positive consequence.)  :lol:

I'm KIDDING, meazza.  It's clear it is certainly intended.

EDIT...I originally had CTW...this should explain the following posts.  My bad

589137[/snapback]

I think the real problem is more fundamental: too many people have nothing to say and shout it from the rooftops. "Which Bills Player Would You Want To Bring To A Fight?" "Better Football Player: Tiger or Shaq?" "I'm high as a kite right now." Or any of Johnny's "What do you think of my avatar/name/underwear?" polls.

The board - indeed, the world - would be a far better place if more people realized that their opinions generally are: 1) just opinions, and 2)not worth a bucket of warm sh-- anyway, and proceded to learn the delicate and seemingly lost art of shutting the hell up when they don't have anything to say.

The board - indeed, the world - would be a far better place if more people realized that their opinions generally are: 1) just opinions, and 2) not worth a bucket of warm sh-- anyway, and proceeded to learn the delicate and seemingly lost art of shutting the hell up when they don't have anything to say.

589186[/snapback]

This is sig line material.

I think the real problem is more fundamental: too many people have nothing to say and shout it from the rooftops.  "Which Bills Player Would You Want To Bring To A Fight?"  "Better Football Player: Tiger or Shaq?"  "I'm high as a kite right now."  Or any of Johnny's "What do you think of my avatar/name/underwear?" polls. 

The board - indeed, the world - would be a far better place if more people realized that their opinions generally are: 1) just opinions, and 2)not worth a bucket of warm sh-- anyway, and proceded to learn the delicate and seemingly lost art of shutting the hell up when they don't have anything to say.

589186[/snapback]

well i don't start meaningless topics, except for the myspace one but it was supposed to be friendly and it turned into a flame war.

I think the real problem is more fundamental: too many people have nothing to say and shout it from the rooftops.  "Which Bills Player Would You Want To Bring To A Fight?"  "Better Football Player: Tiger or Shaq?"  "I'm high as a kite right now."  Or any of Johnny's "What do you think of my avatar/name/underwear?" polls. 

589186[/snapback]

Well, clearly your explanation is far more parsimonious (is that a word?).

And, I'll take your adivce and say no more.

Back to 24...

well i don't start meaningless topics, except for the myspace one but it was supposed to be friendly and it turned into a flame war.

589194[/snapback]

I think he is talking about the main board. You posted that OTW... Anything sorta goes.

Dean's incite on the state of things there is interesting. OTW works but, during the off season you see how much OT topics really prop up TSW. With the absence of OT's you really see what a cluster ph*ck it is.

I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

This is sig line material.

589193[/snapback]

Well...it's not like it's difficult. I mean, is there anyone who doesn't realize that "Holcomb's Arm" doesn't like Losman?

Hell, I don't like Losman either. The difference between me and Holcomb's Arm is that, whereas I only stated my case a couple of times, he feels the need to explain that he doesn't like Losman every single !@#$ing day...

Part of the delicate art of shutting the hell up is learning that to make your point you generally only have to say something once.

Well...it's not like it's difficult.  I mean, is there anyone who doesn't realize that "Holcomb's Arm" doesn't like Losman? 

Hell, I don't like Losman either.  The difference between me and Holcomb's Arm is that, whereas I only stated my case a couple of times, he feels the need to explain that he doesn't like Losman every single !@#$ing day...

Part of the delicate art of shutting the hell up is learning that to make your point you generally only have to say something once.

589200[/snapback]

I know you are but what am I?