The Wall and OTW. Why does the main wall suck?

The Dean

When Fearless Leader first proposed the creation of an "Off Topic" board, I was not convinced it was a good idea. Over the years, OT posts would rise and fall based, for the most part, on what real Bills news there was to discuss. There were times when the tomfoolery got out of control (guilty as charged)...but it seemed to work itself out. So I wasn't a big fan of having to jump back and forth between the boards. :D

But, I put my trust in Fearless Leader and said, whatever you do is fine. This is SDS's world...he's just kind enough to let us live in it. :D

Well...I was wrong. Off the Wall is a great idea. It works. I've had no problem adjusting and by the looks of it, most others have adapted well, too. During the season it keeps the "junk" out of the way and focuses our attention on the Bills. :lol:

But, I'm thinking the seperation is what makes the Main Wall so freakin' horrible right now. Since it's just for Bills/football posts, there's not a lot to talk about right now (the last few days have been brutal...no?). But, some feel the need to post new thoughts and threads over there (I understand that) and we end up with threads like "Who would be a better football player, Shaq or Tiger" and "What Bill would you want to have with you in a fight" (I know those aren't the exact titles of the threads). Holy freakin s#it...what's become of us?

I'm not proposing that we change back. As I said, this works. But, this is our first season with the new set-up and we're seeing some unintended negative consequences, IMO. I've found myself posting in threads I wouldn't even open in the past. We just need to get past this...and the Bills need to announce a DC before CTM makes meazza kill himself. (Or would that be an unintended positive consequence.) :lol:

I'm KIDDING, meazza. It's clear it is certainly intended.

EDIT...I originally had CTW...this should explain the following posts. My bad

Edited by The Dean

Monkeys clearly have better arms than walrus. Even if it's a piece of crap, it's all about how you grip it.

589149[/snapback]

Monkey's do have the advantage in accuracy, but a Walrus has a distinct advantage in payload

its like the difference between a surgical strike and carpet bombing

Dean,

It's an interesting theory (actually, throwing the CTW theory in there as well, it's 2 interesting theories), but I think the problem with the main board is simply that the Bills are in a very bad / chaotic place right now and no amount of wishful thinking by posters will change that.

Considering I spend far more time on the Sabres board than the main Bills board, I am very glad SDS separated this one from the main board. If threads such as the "peanuts in the doorway / my (former) coworker is a loon" thread were kept on the main board, by the time I got over there they'd be buried under 200 "so and so should be the next DC" threads. I'd miss all the classics, at least until it gets close to draft time and there is a reason to venture over there more than once every week or 2.

When Fearless Leader first proposed the creation of an "Off Topic" board, I was not convinced it was a good idea.  Over the years, OT posts would rise and fall based, for the most part, on what real Bills news there was to discuss.  There were times when the tomfoolery got out of control (guilty as charged)...but it seemed to work itself out.  So I wasn't a big fan of having to jump back and forth between the boards.  :D

But, I put my trust in Fearless Leader and said, whatever you do is fine.  This is SDS's world...he's just kind enough to let us live in it.  :D

Well...I was wrong.  Off the Wall is a great idea.  It works.  I've had no problem adjusting and by the looks of it, most others have adapted well, too.  During the season it keeps the "junk" out of the way and focuses our attention on the Bills.  :lol:

But, I'm thinking the seperation is what makes the Main Wall so freakin' horrible right now.  Since it's just for Bills/football posts, there's not a lot to talk about right now (the last few days have been brutal...no?).  But, some feel the need to post new thoughts and threads over there (I understand that) and we end up with threads like "Who would be a better football player, Shaq or Tiger" and "What Bill would you want to have with you in a fight" (I know those aren't the exact titles of the threads).  Holy freakin s#it...what's become of us?

I'm not proposing that we change back.  As I said, this works.  But, this is our first season with the new set-up and we're seeing some unintended negative consequences, IMO.  I've found myself posting in threads I wouldn't even open in the past.  We just need to get past this...and the Bills need to announce a DC before CTM makes meazza kill himself.  (Or would that be an unintended positive consequence.)  :lol:

I'm KIDDING, meazza.  It's clear it is certainly intended.

EDIT...I originally had CTW...this should explain the following posts.  My bad

589137[/snapback]

I think the real problem is more fundamental: too many people have nothing to say and shout it from the rooftops. "Which Bills Player Would You Want To Bring To A Fight?" "Better Football Player: Tiger or Shaq?" "I'm high as a kite right now." Or any of Johnny's "What do you think of my avatar/name/underwear?" polls.

The board - indeed, the world - would be a far better place if more people realized that their opinions generally are: 1) just opinions, and 2)not worth a bucket of warm sh-- anyway, and proceded to learn the delicate and seemingly lost art of shutting the hell up when they don't have anything to say.

The board - indeed, the world - would be a far better place if more people realized that their opinions generally are: 1) just opinions, and 2) not worth a bucket of warm sh-- anyway, and proceeded to learn the delicate and seemingly lost art of shutting the hell up when they don't have anything to say.

589186[/snapback]

This is sig line material.

I think the real problem is more fundamental: too many people have nothing to say and shout it from the rooftops.  "Which Bills Player Would You Want To Bring To A Fight?"  "Better Football Player: Tiger or Shaq?"  "I'm high as a kite right now."  Or any of Johnny's "What do you think of my avatar/name/underwear?" polls. 

The board - indeed, the world - would be a far better place if more people realized that their opinions generally are: 1) just opinions, and 2)not worth a bucket of warm sh-- anyway, and proceded to learn the delicate and seemingly lost art of shutting the hell up when they don't have anything to say.

589186[/snapback]

well i don't start meaningless topics, except for the myspace one but it was supposed to be friendly and it turned into a flame war.

I think the real problem is more fundamental: too many people have nothing to say and shout it from the rooftops.  "Which Bills Player Would You Want To Bring To A Fight?"  "Better Football Player: Tiger or Shaq?"  "I'm high as a kite right now."  Or any of Johnny's "What do you think of my avatar/name/underwear?" polls. 

589186[/snapback]

Well, clearly your explanation is far more parsimonious (is that a word?).

And, I'll take your adivce and say no more.

Back to 24...

well i don't start meaningless topics, except for the myspace one but it was supposed to be friendly and it turned into a flame war.

589194[/snapback]

I think he is talking about the main board. You posted that OTW... Anything sorta goes.

Dean's incite on the state of things there is interesting. OTW works but, during the off season you see how much OT topics really prop up TSW. With the absence of OT's you really see what a cluster ph*ck it is.

I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

This is sig line material.

589193[/snapback]

Well...it's not like it's difficult. I mean, is there anyone who doesn't realize that "Holcomb's Arm" doesn't like Losman?

Hell, I don't like Losman either. The difference between me and Holcomb's Arm is that, whereas I only stated my case a couple of times, he feels the need to explain that he doesn't like Losman every single !@#$ing day...

Part of the delicate art of shutting the hell up is learning that to make your point you generally only have to say something once.

Well...it's not like it's difficult.  I mean, is there anyone who doesn't realize that "Holcomb's Arm" doesn't like Losman? 

Hell, I don't like Losman either.  The difference between me and Holcomb's Arm is that, whereas I only stated my case a couple of times, he feels the need to explain that he doesn't like Losman every single !@#$ing day...

Part of the delicate art of shutting the hell up is learning that to make your point you generally only have to say something once.

589200[/snapback]

I know you are but what am I?

589186[/snapback]

I know I realize this... Everybody sorta realizes this?

What kinda wasteland would it be if people lurked? Lurked at what?

And God knows, we don't need abunch of erudite, simians only, running around on the board. :D

Keep an open mind and speak what you want.

Well...it's not like it's difficult.  I mean, is there anyone who doesn't realize that "Holcomb's Arm" doesn't like Losman? 

Hell, I don't like Losman either.  The difference between me and Holcomb's Arm is that, whereas I only stated my case a couple of times, he feels the need to explain that he doesn't like Losman every single !@#$ing day...

589200[/snapback]

OK...commercial break, so i can spew again.

Do you think you can get your "shut the hell up" message through to Theisman and every other NFL commentator? You'd be doing your country a great service, sir!

OK...commercial break, so i can spew again.

Do you think you can get your "shut the hell up" message through to Theisman and every other NFL commentator?  You'd be doing your country a great service, sir!

589206[/snapback]

Some have carte blanche to do what they want. Telling people to shut the hell doesn't count in the "once rule."

:D:lol::D

I think he is talking about the main board.  You posted that OTW... Anything sorta goes.

Dean's incite on the state of things there is interesting.  OTW works but, during the off season you see how much OT topics really prop up TSW.  With the absence of OT's you really see what a cluster ph*ck it is.

I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

589199[/snapback]

Xactly

589186[/snapback]

The main board now reminds me of the south park episode when its summer and cartman is taking swimming lessons. Everytime he jumps into the pool to swim, all the first graders wade over and piss in the pool and turn it yellow. Everytime someone posts something worthwhile, on the main board, all the first graders on the board piss all over it and make it stink.

The main board now reminds me of the south park episode when its summer and cartman is taking swimming lessons. Everytime he jumps into the pool to swim, all the first graders wade over and piss in the pool and turn it yellow. Everytime someone posts something worthwhile, on the main board, all the first graders on the board piss all over it and make it stink.

589493[/snapback]

:lol::lol::lol:

I know I realize this... Everybody sorta realizes this?

What kinda wasteland would it be if people lurked?  Lurked at what?

And God knows, we don't need abunch of erudite, simians only, running around on the board. :lol:

Keep an open mind and speak what you want.

589205[/snapback]

A couple things:

--Quantity does not equate to quality. Higher post counts do not necessarily mean a better board...or poster (sez the guy with over 7500 posts :lol: ). I'd rather see 1/10 of the current posts on the Wall if it meant that the posts were meaningful football discussions. And I'm not saying that 10% of the posts "up there" are good. There are very few threads I even bother to open any more, because either:

a.) the original poster

b.) the title

c.) it's clearly someone who wasn't comfortable adding to an existing discussion on some topic, and needed to create a LAMP titled "My thoughts on X." There are a rare handful of posters whose names attached to said LAMP will be the exception for me, but seeing those same names in the "last post by" column can pull me into reading a topic that I wouldn't have otherwise as well.

--Stating the same opinion over and over without any substance does not add to the discussion. Answering every "why?" question with "because Levy/Jauron/Wilson sucks" certainly makes your position clear, but it really doesn't answer the question. Further, it is clear that some have decided already that X hire is bad for the team and have decided every decision/statement that X makes (with X being any of the men hired by the Bills in the past few weeks, or even Ralph) is bad primarily because X made it.

--Generalizing people based on their opinions on a particular topic doesn't add to things either. People who support a hire, or are willing to keep an open mind/"wait and see" attitude, are not automatically "ball washers/jock sniffers" And while some people prefer to remain pessimistic to avoid being disappointed, neither is anyone who provides negative commentary about one particular move a "doom and gloomer."

--The bottom line is that your opinion is welcome, but you should be able to back it up, or at least bow out when you have nothing more to add. Your opinion can certainly be formed out of the "I just have a feeling..." but if you want credibility you should try and figure out why you have that feeling and be prepared to elaborate, rather than just pulling a "because I said so." Further, there are a number of people guilty of "constipation of the mind diarhea of the fingers" who really have nothing to say but spend a lot of words saying it. This isn't a contest. You don't have to respond to every thread.

One thing I think the OTW board has done is move what some consider the "ganging up on posters" off of the Wall, leaving people feeling pretty safe about offering their opinions. On the downside, it has created quite the "stew" on the Wall, with a lot of broth, but not a lot of substance. It can be a self-feeding problem, as the threads that draw the responses are usually the ones that are the most inflammatory, while the well thought-out analyses drift down because there's nothing really to add but "good post."

I hesitate to add to this thread, as I don't like to bring up problems without proposing solutions, but the flailing of arms "up there" already convinced me to take a month away, and it's very near convincing me that I came back too soon. Not that that particular point matters, as I really don't add much to the discussion myself, and a lot of my points above apply to me as well as anyone, but I'm guessing I'm not alone, and that there are people whose inputs/posts are valued that are feeling the same way.

I like the wall segregation--props to the powers that be for pulling it off. I can go to the football wall, see what's going on, and not have to read about non-football posts.

Sure, there are some things posted on the main wall that are not interesting, but so what? I don't read them. When all the football posts were mixed in with [insert non-football topics here], I pretty much avoided the main wall.

I think the problem with main board is that every Bills fan who finds it posts there and you have the same argument year after year trying to say "I was right". Many posts on Football wall are repeats with names changed.

On OTW you get the same cracks (digs on political stuff leaking from "Politics, Polls, and Pundits" again which is just opinions not facts but the mods there banned the people and feel the need to continue sniping out of season) but there are a lot more variety of subjects so there is less of a rutt. You also get less casual posters so there are less crap shots making a monkeys' asses out of themselves.

Oh and you also get less of the phony aliases on OTW but on the other hand you do not have a mod like we do on the main wall who outs people to his fellow NE football fans who happen to be Patriot fans.

I think the problem with main board is that every Bills fan who finds it posts there and you have the same argument year after year trying to say "I was right".  Many posts on Football wall are repeats with names changed.   

On OTW you get the same cracks (digs on political stuff leaking from "Politics, Polls, and Pundits" again which is just opinions not facts but the mods there banned the people and feel the need to continue sniping out of season) but there are a lot more variety of subjects so there is less of a rutt.  You also get less casual posters so there are less crap shots making a monkeys' asses out of themselves.

Oh and you also get less of the phony aliases on OTW but on the other hand you do not have a mod like we do on the main wall who outs people to his fellow NE football fans who happen to be Patriot fans.

590308[/snapback]

just thought I would quote you 0:):doh:

I think the problem with main board is that every Bills fan who finds it posts there and you have the same argument year after year trying to say "I was right".  Many posts on Football wall are repeats with names changed.   

On OTW you get the same cracks (digs on political stuff leaking from "Politics, Polls, and Pundits" again which is just opinions not facts but the mods there banned the people and feel the need to continue sniping out of season) but there are a lot more variety of subjects so there is less of a rutt.  You also get less casual posters so there are less crap shots making a monkeys' asses out of themselves.

590308[/snapback]

You know you really need some help. A regular psychiatrist couldn't even help you. You need to go to like Vienna or something. You know what I mean? You need to get involved at the University level. Like where Freud studied and have all those people looking at you and checking up on you. That's the kind of help you need. Not the once a week for eighty bucks. No. You need a team. A team of psychiatrists working round the clock thinking about you, having conferences, observing you, like the way they did with the Elephant Man. That's what I'm talking about because that's the only way you're going to get better.

You know you really need some help. A regular psychiatrist couldn't even help you. You need to go to like Vienna or something. You know what I mean? You need to get involved at the University level. Like where Freud studied and have all those people looking at you and checking up on you. That's the kind of help you need. Not the once a week for eighty bucks. No. You need a team. A team of psychiatrists working round the clock thinking about you, having conferences, observing you, like the way they did with the Elephant Man. That's what I'm talking about because that's the only way you're going to get better.

591108[/snapback]

Judge Wopner could save him...

591108[/snapback]

It looks like CTM stole NG's login information.