Donate Blood?

inkman

I've tried to give blood on many occasions, but was always rejected. Turns out i always fail the iron test...and then i found out i have thalassemia (an amenia that affects Mediteranean folks, mostly).

But, I've had many friends and roomates who have been big blood donors. i think you should give blood...BUT be aware these people really are freakin vampires. They will call and harrass you into giving blood constantly. If you have a rare type, fuggedaboudit. They will hound you night and day for blood. Vampires, I say!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried to give blood on many occasions, but was always rejected.  Turns out i always fail the iron test...and then i found out i have thalassemia (an amenia that affects Mediteranean folks, mostly).

But, I've had many friends and roomates who have been big blood donors.  i think you should give blood...BUT be aware these people really are freakin vampires.  They will call and harrass you into giving blood constantly.  If you have a rare type, fuggedaboudit.  They will hound you night and day for blood.  Vampires, I say!

588841[/snapback]

i think if you smoke pot or any other kind of drug it doesn't work. don't you?

you can't donate blood if you consumed illegal narcotics

i remember hearing that, not 100% sure though

588848[/snapback]

Well if some does get through, can I request it if I need a transfusion?

"Give me some of that O Negative, heroin laced chit."

588863[/snapback]

lol

it might cause you to be stoned 24/7

basically you'll be like a natural KD in CT except maybe nicer

you can't donate blood if you consumed illegal narcotics

i remember hearing that, not 100% sure though

588848[/snapback]

Well, they never used to screen for drugs before you donated (they may be able to now, though). i always figured they did those tests after they collected, as they take time (or used to).

588863[/snapback]

Chef Jim- we drank a murderers row of wine the other night. I have a very wealthy buddy who has a gigantic wine cellar- thousands and thousands of top bottles. We drank Lokoya, Dominus, Caymus, Sassicaia, a 96 Lynch Bages, Chateau de Molena and some Barolos. It was quite a night- I thought you would appreciate that. I am putting together a cork board and I grabbed all those corks. Those wines are out of my budget but phenomenal!

Chef Jim- we drank a murderers row of wine the other night.  I have a very wealthy buddy who has a gigantic wine cellar- thousands and thousands of top bottles.  We drank Lokoya, Dominus, Caymus, Sassicaia, a 96 Lynch Bages, Chateau de Molena and some Barolos.  It was quite a night- I thought you would appreciate that.  I am putting together a cork board and I grabbed all those corks.  Those wines are out of my budget but phenomenal!

588896[/snapback]

We should all have friends like that. I have a co-worker who collects great wine. We're celebrating his 50th next month. He said he's breaking out the good stuff and going cheap on the food. I think I'll take care of the food part. Can't drink great wine with cheap food.

BTW, does your wealthy buddy need a good financial planner??

We should all have friends like that.  I have a co-worker who collects great wine.  We're celebrating his 50th next month.  He said he's breaking out the good stuff and going cheap on the food.  I think I'll take care of the food part.  Can't drink great wine with cheap food.

588938[/snapback]

We all should have friends like that! This guy has cases of everything. He is all set with a financial planner. I tried- my father works for Smith Barney!

We should all have friends like that.  I have a co-worker who collects great wine.  We're celebrating his 50th next month.  He said he's breaking out the good stuff and going cheap on the food.  I think I'll take care of the food part.  Can't drink great wine with cheap food.

588938[/snapback]

do you make your own wine?

We all should have friends like that!  This guy has cases of everything.  He is all set with a financial planner.  I tried- my father works for Smith Barney!

588948[/snapback]

Yes but I'm THE financial planner. And besides I can cook too, our portfolio reviews would go on for days with my food and his wine.

Yes but I'm THE financial planner.  And besides I can cook too, our portfolio reviews would go on for days with my food and his wine.

588953[/snapback]

:D You would have a blast in that kitchen too! Its all Viking appliances and gigantic. I love cooking myself and love a nice kitchen setup. Hey Jim- I am making my first mole sauce for the superbowl. Ever make one of those?

I give blood every chance I get.  Try the double red machine.  It takes out two pints of blood, puts it in a centrifuge, takes out the red cells then proceed to pump the plasma back into your blood stream with an IV.  You come out more hydrated then you went in and you halve the donations you need to make.  I highly recomend!

588831[/snapback]

Is that kinda like the "power purge" at AMMCO Transmission?

That commercial is pretty impressive... Did it harm your seals?

:lol::lol::D:D

?????  What doesn't work????????

588846[/snapback]

What they check/ask...

Acupuncture

Allergy, Stuffy Nose, Itchy Eyes, Dry Cough

Antibiotics

Aspirin

Asthma

Birth Control

Bleeding Disorders

Blood Pressure, High

Blood Pressure, Low

Blood Transfusion

Cancer

Chronic Illnesses

Cold, Flu

Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD)

Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, Variant (vCJD);"Mad Cow Disease"

Dental Procedures

Donation Intervals

Heart Disease

Heart Murmur, Heart Valve Disorder

Hemochromatosis

Hemoglobin, Hematocrit, Blood Count

Hepatitis, Jaundice

Hepatitis Exposure

Herpes (see Sexually Transmitted Disease)

HIV, AIDS

Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRP)

HPV (see Sexually Transmitted Disease)

Hypertension, High Blood Pressure

Immunization, Vaccination

Infections

Insulin (bovine)

Intravenous Drug Use

Malaria

Medications

Organ/Tissue Transplants

Piercing (ears, body), Electrolysis