Donate Blood?

inkman

Just curious if my fellow posters give some of their blood to help out others? I did for the first time this weekend.

p.s. Any idea why it looks like someone took a sledgehammer to the area the blood was drawn from? (please save your "google.com" or "webmd.com" retorts)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've given blood many times. Sometimes if the medic pokes through the vein you'll get bad bruising. It'll be gone in a day or two...  :angry:

588178[/snapback]

That must be why when the first lady stuck the needle in me she didn't get any blood and had to call for backup. Not fun.

I give as often as I can...every two to three months or so. Giving blood is so important...kudos to anyone who does it. I also donate platelets from time to time. This is a more involved process (up to two hours), and a bit more uncomfortable, but also very very important.

I give as often as I can...every two to three months or so.  Giving blood is so important...kudos to anyone who does it.  I also donate platelets from time to time.  This is a more involved process (up to two hours), and a bit more uncomfortable, but also very very important.

588180[/snapback]

My wife was talking about donating platelets. Maybe next time. They said I was really fast. (six minutes) I hope I don't get any major cuts then. :angry:

Just curious if my fellow posters give some of their blood to help out others?  I did for the first time this weekend. 

p.s.  Any idea why it looks like someone took a sledgehammer to the area the blood was drawn from?  (please save your "google.com" or "webmd.com" retorts)

588173[/snapback]

Not enough pressure for a long enough amount of time when the needle was removed. That is what causes bruising. For example, my veins are deep. If I do not have strong, constant pressure for an extended period of time after giving blood, I will bruise. Having strong, constant pressure for an extended period of time will prevent the bruising. You need to allow for the bleeding to stop. Just quickly putting a Band-Aid on the incision point will not stop it. You need to stop it down by the vein, not on the skin level.

Interesting.  The volunteer had me apply pressure but wrapped my arm up with gauze and tape shortly thereafter.  Maybe I needed to apply the pressure longer.

588202[/snapback]

Yup. Press hard and keep it there for at least 5 minutes. That will prevent the bruising.

That must be why when the first lady stuck the needle in me she didn't get any blood and had to call for backup.  Not fun.

588179[/snapback]

Different techs will be able to do it better. There's one woman where I go that it feels like your arm is on fire when she stabs you. And then there's a guy that you don't even realize he got it in when he pokes you.

Different techs will be able to do it better. There's one woman where I go that it feels like your arm is on fire when she stabs you. And then there's a guy that you don't even realize he got it in when he pokes you.

588477[/snapback]

i have been lucky . the people that have poked me have been very good .

I give blood every chance I get. Try the double red machine. It takes out two pints of blood, puts it in a centrifuge, takes out the red cells then proceed to pump the plasma back into your blood stream with an IV. You come out more hydrated then you went in and you halve the donations you need to make. I highly recomend!

Just curious if my fellow posters give some of their blood to help out others?  I did for the first time this weekend. 

p.s.  Any idea why it looks like someone took a sledgehammer to the area the blood was drawn from?  (please save your "google.com" or "webmd.com" retorts)

588173[/snapback]

i would but i think the amount of pot i consume would not make it donatable