Thank God Levy's doing the hiring not US

Joe Fergy

Polian on Jauron

One NFL man who is impressed with the Bills' choice of Dick Jauron is Colts General Manager Bill Polian.

"He was a very serious candidate for our job before we hired Jim Mora," Polian said this week while scouting Senior Bowl players. "I recommended him very, very strongly to Marv. I think he's a magnificent person, a really, really good football coach. Buffalo fans should not be worried by what happened in Chicago. They were decimated by injury. And when they finally had their full team together, you saw what happened. They went 13-3. He's an outstanding football coach. Buffalo's got a great duo there."

I believe what Polian thinks way more then us boneheads, I wanted Sherman too. The more I read the better I feel, Thank's Marv for NOT listening to the fans..........

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Opinion #1: We'll see.....Just because Marv fell into the Bills HC job at the right time (with a plethora of young talent and the best GM in the league) doesn't mean he has any qualifications to run a franchise.

Opinion #2: I for one have no confidence in Marv at this point.

Fact: 31 other teams felt the same way, as Marv was openly lobbying for jobs for years and never got a sniff from anyone. Many of you may not want to hear this, but correct any factual errors I've made with this sentence.

Felser made an interesting point in his column in today's Buffalo News. That despite the hype around Mike Sherman, there is little demand for his services as a HC around the NFL. Further, Sherman had his power increasingly stripped from him by the Green Bay brass the last 3 years of his reign.

Felser doesn't say why, but obviously Green Bay had a problem with giving Sherman too much control. So what does Sherman (allegedly) do in Buffalo? He attempts a power grab.

While many of us feel Levy is "stupid" for not making the obvious move, perhaps he's smarter than all of us for NOT! Only time will tell, but I have more faith in Levy than others.

PTR

Opinion #1:  We'll see.....Just because Marv fell into the Bills HC job at the right time (with a plethora of young talent and the best GM in the league) doesn't mean he has any qualifications to run a franchise.

Fact:  31 other teams felt the same way, as Marv was openly lobbying for jobs for years and never got a sniff from anyone.  Many of you may not want to hear this, but correct any factual errors I've made with this sentence.

587221[/snapback]

I dont believe that marv didnt get any of the Jobs he was lobbying for because hes not qualified to do the position. i honestly believe is that Everyone feels that hes to old to handle the vigours attention needed for the Job. Im not impressed with anything he has done thus far. I am willing to actually see Jauron in action this season before i pass judgement on him. But marv hasnt made any other big choices yet. feb/march are big months for a Gm as they clear cap space, try and recruit free agents and prepare for the draft in April. so the next 90 days are very crucial to the old timer to see if his lack of rest wil hurt his judgement.

Polian on Jauron

One NFL man who is impressed with the Bills' choice of Dick Jauron is Colts General Manager Bill Polian.

"He was a very serious candidate for our job before we hired Jim Mora," Polian said this week while scouting Senior Bowl players. "I recommended him very, very strongly to Marv. I think he's a magnificent person, a really, really good football coach. Buffalo fans should not be worried by what happened in Chicago. They were decimated by injury. And when they finally had their full team together, you saw what happened. They went 13-3. He's an outstanding football coach. Buffalo's got a great duo there."

I believe what Polian thinks way more then us boneheads, I wanted Sherman too. The more I read the better I  feel, Thank's Marv for NOT listening to the fans..........

587219[/snapback]

Polian will defend anything Marv does to the death, his opinion is THE LAST you should trust. That's his style. Polian's excellence in personnel is matched or exceeded by his combative nature with regard to anyone who questions his moves or the performance of HIS guys. With Polian, the media questioning the Bills going with a 260 lb. 3-4 NT, a short , slow, concussion-prone free safety and a kicker with no range past 35 yards were all grounds for sticking with thoe guys(and opponents abusing those weaknesses in the Super Bowl). It's a big reason that despite winning a lot, he has had teams most characterized by coming up short.

I am not sure what to make about Polian's comments. He basically said that our new head coach is no Jim Mora, Sr.

587228[/snapback]

I'm assuming that was an attempt at humor. Obviously, when the Colts were interviewing for the HC job Mora had a pretty distinguished resume that included taking the Saints to their only playoff appearance in history. Jauron had only assistant coaching experience on his resume. Not exactly a big surprise that Mora would have gotten the nod. Back then, Jauron would have been viewed as the "young gun" and risky hire.

Opinion #1:  We'll see.....Just because Marv fell into the Bills HC job at the right time (with a plethora of young talent and the best GM in the league) doesn't mean he has any qualifications to run a franchise.

Fact:  31 other teams felt the same way, as Marv was openly lobbying for jobs for years and never got a sniff from anyone.  Many of you may not want to hear this, but correct any factual errors I've made with this sentence.

587221[/snapback]

Correction: #1: Marv did not apply to be GM of any team in the league. He expressed a desire to return to coaching.

Correction: #2: No one may want to hear this... not "many of you"

Correction: #3: 31 other teams were not in the situation of having an open HC position.

So, I guess you could definitely say that Fassel, Reeves, Sherman, Ditka, Seifert, Hasmatt, Martz and Mariucci are bigger losers than Marv. Nobody wants them either. No-Bod-Deee.

Polian will defend anything Marv does to the death, his opinion is THE LAST you should trust.  That's his style.  Polian's excellence in personnel is matched or exceeded by his combative nature with regard to anyone who questions his moves or the performance of HIS guys.  With Polian, the media questioning the Bills going with a 260 lb. 3-4 NT, a short , slow, concussion-prone free safety and a kicker with no range past 35 yards were all grounds for sticking with thoe guys(and opponents abusing those weaknesses in the Super Bowl).  It's a big reason that despite winning a lot,  he has had teams most characterized by coming up short.

587248[/snapback]

Hah!

"despite winning alot".

Last I checked the object of the sport was to win alot.

I'd be happy with a coach that wins alot.

In fact, that it my wish for next year, I hope we win alot.

If Sherman didn't work out because he wanted too much power, then I'm ok with him not coming on board.

Generally speaking, look at the head coaches who were also GMs. I don't have details on all of them, but one example is Mike Holmgren. He went to Seattle in 1999 to be coach and GM. They made the playoffs in year 1, but underachieved since then. Holmgren's GM duties were removed before the 2004 season and Seattle got significantly better.

It just seems that when you have a coach that is also the GM, it takes away from the coach's ability to coach. The coach's duties become significantly increased with the "distractions" of being a GM - contract negotiations, cap issues, etc. - all of which take away time from his duties of game-planning. When that happens, you have a less-than-impressive product on the field. Being just a coach allows more time for game strategies.

This just goes to show how good of a coach Holmgren is, when he has the time to just focus on Xs and Os.

Hah!

"despite winning alot".

Last I checked the object of the sport was to win alot.

I'd be happy with a coach that wins alot.

In fact, that it my wish for next year, I hope we win alot.

587284[/snapback]

Way to pull "winning a lot" out of a post that has nothing to do with Dick Jauron and attach it to him. That's how desperate it's gotten.

:blink:

We all want to win, but it reaches a point when you want to win it all. Polian is an expert at not finishing the job. He's the best at it. He couldn't close the deal in Buffalo, he hasn't been able to in Indy. He hires nice guys like Marv, Dom Capers and Tony Dungy gives them a lot of talent so they can win games, then watches them get outcoached when the chips are down.

If Sherman didn't work out because he wanted too much power, then I'm ok with him not coming on board.

Generally speaking, look at the head coaches who were also GMs. I don't have details on all of them, but one example is Mike Holmgren. He went to Seattle in 1999 to be coach and GM. They made the playoffs in year 1, but underachieved since then. Holmgren's GM duties were removed before the 2004 season and Seattle got significantly better.

It just seems that when you have a coach that is also the GM, it takes away from the coach's ability to coach. The coach's duties become significantly increased with the "distractions" of being a GM - contract negotiations, cap issues, etc. - all of which take away time from his duties of game-planning. When that happens, you have a less-than-impressive product on the field. Being just a coach allows more time for game strategies.

This just goes to show how good of a coach Holmgren is, when he has the time to just focus on Xs and Os.

587296[/snapback]

I'd rather have Jauron over Sherman. But in much the same way I'd rather get a sharp stick in the ear than in the eye. Ralph prefers the lottery ticket method of trying to get a great HC over actually paying for one. It was high time for Ralph to pony up for somebody extraordinary. I have a ton of respect for Ralph and I'd rather the Bills stayed here and lost every game than ever left, but he is going to die without ever raising that Lombardi trophy. That is a fact. If he had the balls or foresight to ever pony up the cash to get a Parcells or trade for a Jon Gruden he would have gotten that ring and a place in the HOF as well.

587296[/snapback]

Holmgren had way too much on his plate. Everything from GM down to being the OC. Allen got rid of his buddy Whitsett (Whitsett was a sports administrator and he and Holmgren did not get along); they brought Ruskell and Reinfeldt into the front office and told Holmgren to just coach. Holmgren says he and Ruskell just "get along" and that it was a "like a good marriage".

587221[/snapback]

And yet the two teams in the Super Bowl this season are being led by two of the longest tenured coaches in the NFL.

The rationale that "no one hired him so he must suck" has zero merit.

I'd rather have Jauron over Sherman.  But in much the same way I'd rather get a sharp stick in the ear than in the eye.  Ralph prefers the lottery ticket method of trying to get a great HC over actually paying for one.  It was high time for Ralph to pony up for somebody extraordinary.  I have a ton of respect for Ralph and I'd rather the Bills stayed here and lost every game than ever left, but he is going to die without ever raising that Lombardi trophy.  That is a fact.  If he had the balls or foresight to ever pony up the cash to get a Parcells or trade for a Jon Gruden he would have gotten that ring and a place in the HOF as well.

587365[/snapback]

Who is out there this year that fits that criteria?