great hire

I was initially shocked and disheartened by the hiring of DJ, when leaked yesterday. Sherman seemed perfect.

Now, with a bit of time and forum lurking, I've had a change of heart. Not only is this a great hire, but it bodes well for the future of the franchise. My support of this argument is simple - we all hate it.

Donahoe listened to everything we said for 5 years, and we ate it up... and NONE of it worked. We're not good football people. Tom Donahoe is not a good football person (a great salesman though). Marv Levy is a good football person.

Think for a second about the history of TD, and everything we hate about it. We complained about JP? Benched. We complained about Williams? Fired. We wanted Takeo Spikes? Ours. Jim Mcnally will solve our O-line problems? Signed. We wanted Bledsoe, and clamored more after day 1? Traded for on day 2, parade on day 3. The fans and the Buffalo News owned this team, and it has taken them nowhere.

Marv made a decision entirely independent of what fans would think of it, what the media would write about it, and what impact it would have on ticket sales. Do not feed me this garbage that a man as intelligent as Marv Levy hired a man to coach his football team because he watched him as an announcer. Who are you kidding. He made a decision he thought was for the best of the franchise, and would eventually win football games.

How long has it been since any of us could say that about a decision made by the Bills?

I, for one, welcome our new ant overlords.

I was initially shocked and disheartened by the hiring of DJ, when leaked yesterday.  Sherman seemed perfect.

Now, with a bit of time and forum lurking, I've had a change of heart.  Not only is this a great hire, but it bodes well for the future of the franchise.  My support of this argument is simple - we all hate it.

Donahoe listened to everything we said for 5 years, and we ate it up... and NONE of it worked.  We're not good football people.  Tom Donahoe is not a good football person (a great salesman though).  Marv Levy is a good football person.

Think for a second about the history of TD, and everything we hate about it.  We complained about JP?  Benched.  We complained about Williams?  Fired.  We wanted Takeo Spikes?  Ours.  Jim Mcnally will solve our O-line problems?  Signed.  We wanted Bledsoe, and clamored more after day 1?  Traded for on day 2, parade on day 3. The fans and the Buffalo News owned this team, and it has taken them nowhere.

Marv made a decision entirely independent of what fans would think of it, what the media would write about it, and what impact it would have on ticket sales.  Do not feed me this garbage that a man as intelligent as Marv Levy hired a man to coach his football team because he watched him as an announcer.  Who are you kidding.  He made a decision he thought was for the best of the franchise, and would eventually win football games.

How long has it been since any of us could say that about a decision made by the Bills?

I, for one, welcome our new ant overlords.

581156[/snapback]

Like you, I was initially down on the decision, but I'm warming up to it (don't have much choice if I plan to continue following this team). I'm heartened about what former players said about him. Let's just hope he brings in a very, very solid OC -- that decision is critical to the future success of the franchise.

You know, I hadn't really put that together yet. It is really quite funny (in a very sad, sad way).

This message board has been filled with people saying that all TD ever did was make PR moves to sell tickets. That he and Ralph cared nothing for the team, they only wanted the boxes filled and tickets sold.

Now a move has been made that people don't like, and there are threats to stop buying tickets...and Ralph and the new GM STILL care nothing for winning and want nothing but mediocrity.

Morons.

Unpopular = good?

Maybe. But your argument that this hire bodes well for the future of the franchise is pure conjecture. Right off the bat, from a ticket sales standpoint, I tend to doubt it's gonna be a positive. Nine months from now? Well, we'll just have to see.

I was initially shocked and disheartened by the hiring of DJ, when leaked yesterday.  Sherman seemed perfect.

Now, with a bit of time and forum lurking, I've had a change of heart.  Not only is this a great hire, but it bodes well for the future of the franchise.  My support of this argument is simple - we all hate it.

Donahoe listened to everything we said for 5 years, and we ate it up... and NONE of it worked.  We're not good football people.  Tom Donahoe is not a good football person (a great salesman though).  Marv Levy is a good football person.

Think for a second about the history of TD, and everything we hate about it.  We complained about JP?  Benched.  We complained about Williams?  Fired.  We wanted Takeo Spikes?  Ours.  Jim Mcnally will solve our O-line problems?  Signed.  We wanted Bledsoe, and clamored more after day 1?  Traded for on day 2, parade on day 3. The fans and the Buffalo News owned this team, and it has taken them nowhere.

581156[/snapback]

So like the Seinfeld episode where George does everything opposite??

New George/Old George?

Scary thought

So like the Seinfeld episode where George does everything opposite??

New George/Old George?

Scary thought

581199[/snapback]

My name is George, I am unemployed and live with my parents

Unpopular = good?   

Maybe.  But your argument that this hire bodes well for the future of the franchise is pure conjecture.  Right off the bat, from a ticket sales standpoint, I tend to doubt it's gonna be a positive.    Nine months from now?  Well, we'll just have to see.

581193[/snapback]

Conjecture? Sure, but everything we can say right now is conjecture :) I don't mean to say that this move is good just because it is unpopular. Rather, it's nice to see a football decision being made for football reasons and not for the sake of pandering to an overly eager fanbase or an overly aggressive local media.

In itself, that's an assumption on my part. I recognize this. In my book, though, Marv Levy has integrity to challenege most in his profession. I have a hard time believing that a man with his mind, after nearly a decade out of the game spent clawing to get back in, would blow his shot hiring his unqualified buddies. So when I see the choices come down to 'cronyism' or 'football decision', I choose the later.

Ticket sales may fall off, that's a trade off. Wise football decisions will always win those ticket sales back. Will it work, is this wise? I have no idea, as football is a fickle beast. I'm only trying to judge if the decisions are made for the right reason, as a means to a positive end. In my book, this passes. It's a move meant to better a football team from guys who have more football knowledge than myself.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, glad to be here.

581156[/snapback]

Kind of like George Costanza doing the opposite.

"Hi, I'm George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents.

"Well...HELLO"

I am optimistic, if not quite enthusiastic.

The fact that he gets along with players sounds like a useless bromide but I actually think that kind of thing matters. NFL rosters are chock full of huge egos coupled with low IQs and seasoned with stress, pressure and paranoia. Getting all those different personalities to work together and be productive is no easy task. Mularkey clearly was not able to do that very well. Two of the best players on the team, one on each side of the ball, had feuds with Mularkey that resulted in them being off the field for a few games in a season where we were desperate for wins. It is easy to blame the players for being what they are, egomaniacs, but you know, the job of the HC is to do whatever needs to be done to make these guys, even despite themselves sometimes, winners. If you can't do that, if you can't keep the team running on all cylinders, egos and all, you can't coach at this level.

Jauron emphasized one thing during the press conference and that was that winning requires you to be good everywhere. It isn't one thing, its everything. I take that to mean not just that they won't put all their resources into the defense or the offense. I think what he was getting at, diplomatically, is not ignoring certain positions in favor of others which is really what brought Donahoe down. He just didn't put much into the offensive lines. Jauron even used the QB positiona as an example, he said that if you have a good QB but nothing else, you aren't going anywhere. The OL in particular has just not been given much attention and the one large investment it received is a bust. I think Jauron is going to worry less about having world class talent at the glamour positions and more about getting quality across the board. You need some playmakers but you need talent everywhere. I hope that kind of thinking translates into wins. We'll see.

1) Welcome to the Board.

2) What if the fans, AND Marv, are BOTH stupid morons?

581172[/snapback]

nope its just the fans. All you have to do is read 50% of the posts on any Bills forum to realize how thick and demanding Bills fans are.

Very, very good points made here. I don't think it's lost on Marv how passionate Bills fans are. Yet I think Marv stuck to what he feels is the most important issue at hand. How well the coach and G.M. work together. Granted, Jauron is not the "glamour" pick for HC, but maybe if Jauron and Levy can re-create the early 90's magic...